Re: When Sheriffs Won't Enforce The Law

USA Today on the big conspiracy in New Mexico:
New gun laws spark secret messaging, obstruction, recalls
Fletcher says the letter was passed to him by a sheriff’s association and that he’s not “the NRA’s puppet.”

“I didn’t have any direct contact with the NRA, but the letter was probably a little more articulate than I might have been,” Fletcher, who is depicted with an AR-15 on the county's official website said. “It wasn’t a cut and paste job. I read it and agreed.”

The nation’s firearm debate is playing out in these rural counties, where sheriffs hold broad policing authority, as well as in Denver’s suburbs, where a Republican sheriff is facing recall for backing new laws.

Re: When Sheriffs Won't Enforce The Law

highdesert wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm USA Today is showing its bias, only using data from the Brady and Gifford's centers, two anti-gun groups.
Shocking. :shock:

Having lived both in big cities (Oakland, San Francisco) and out in the sticks (and two less than 10K towns for 20 years between them), urban folk have no idea of the fact that help isn't on the other side of a wall. I never felt unsafe living in those cities while in my apartment because there was always someone one wall (up, down, left, right) withing screaming distance to call LEO (even if just to complain) who was, most likely, around the corner. Country living, you could stand on the front porch and scream yourself hoarse and only the crickets would hear. Then, nearest LEO is likely 10-20 minutes away, should a cricket call them.

When we lived in the country, we had two occasions where someone stopped by late at night for "directions" or "do you have any smokes?" (I wasn't a gun owner then, but the bat at my side made them decide perhaps they had the wrong house) and were burglarized once in the 1.5 years in the country (granted, right off the road and outside of view from any other home).

Small town is a bit of a mixture, generally more self reliant but with services. I'd hazard a guess that at least half of my neighbors have guns but probably closer to 75 percent.