Re: Why the hell do you want a suppressor in the first place

I personally think suppressors should be mandatory and not regulated. Who wouldn't want more peace and quiet at the range.

I think a bad person would shoot an unsuppressed gun as readily as a suppressed one.

What I don't like is having to pay to establish a trust, pay for a tax stamp, wait 9 months and also pay $700+ for a decent can. All of which I can't afford right now :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glockoholic75 wrote:I personally think suppressors should be mandatory and not regulated. Who wouldn't want more peace and quiet at the range.

I think a bad person would shoot an unsuppressed gun as readily as a suppressed one.

What I don't like is having to pay to establish a trust, pay for a tax stamp, wait 9 months and also pay $700+ for a decent can. All of which I can't afford right now :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I love using the 'mufflers are required, suppressors should be at least allowed sans paperwork' argument. Then again, applying logic to the NFA is dumb.

A big part of it was meant to keep non-Citizens from being armed. Thankfully, that mostly failed. The Powers That Be could not 'get' Luciano as he kept himself largely insulated so they went after anyone who could become the next Charlie Luciano. That is the origin of the 'firearms ownership is a province of Citizenship' trope, something that many folks who preach the Natural Rights aspect agree with which also doesn't make logical sense.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I don't have an opinion on suppressors. From the video and the photos it looks like they have a substantial diameter to them, even to the point of obscuring the sights. I know some rifles and shotguns have elevated sights and it wouldn't be a problem clearing the sightline, but most pistols and the majority of non-military based weapons have low sights. To raise the sightline adds parallax error. Also, what do suppressors do to accuracy? I'm not shooting bottles on a fence. I'm doing everything I can to hold a precision shot. It seems like changing the pressure profile as the bullet exits would affect accuracy. Do European firearm competitors use suppressors in world class events? It seems like a suppressor would also throw off the balance of the firearm, again, especially pistols.

I'm just asking a few questions. I'm not failing your version of a loyality oath here.
Shower together to save water.

DoctorB wrote:Well fuck the O.P. with a donkey dick, anyway, he was not a commissioned LEO as he implied. lasted five days, and he asked an asshole question. He got the answer he deserved. Even better.

I mean this in the nicest possible non-violent way, of course.
Yeah, well your nicest possible needs some work Doc. We're talking a 7 plus month old chestnut premised upon an honest question that, as near as I can tell was neither insulting, sanctimonious or condescending...no need to rip on someone asking genuine questions...

And, for future reference: fuck you's and such are discouraged...pretty much to the point of time out discouraged...so please...for the children.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

fknauss wrote:
neither insulting, sanctimonious or condescending
It strikes me that any question starting with "Why the hell" is presented with a fair amount of presumption, probably intending at least one of the above in the process.
perhaps ... and 'probably' isn't sufficient to warrant disrespecting another user.
We Are So Screwed

In europe I'm guessing not much has changed in the last 1500 years. Only the upper classes hunt and own weapons. I could see owning a silencer and night vision for poaching deer. It would be great I could shoot to my hearts content with out worrying about sky king seeing the muzzle flashes from the air and radioing game wardens on the ground plus they would never be able to pin point the muzzle report for direction. As for shooting at the range I will wear plugs. I like that Rolandson posted the picture of the shooting range with the baffles, on my new property to keep my neighbors happy I will probably make a similar system if they are not normal rural people.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

ThirstyHersh wrote:
ThirstyHersh wrote:I'm just asking a few questions. I'm not failing your version of a loyality oath here.
I regret adding this at the bottom of the question I posted yesterday. It just seemed like things were getting a little tense.
don't...regret that is.

it also happens that is doesn't appear as though your questions were addressed. not having a suppressor, I am not really qualified to address them but I will try because I too wondered about this sort of thing.

The simple solution appears to be simply raising the height of the sights; front and rear to correct for this, such as this sort of thing...
http://www.topgunsupply.com/ameriglo-tr ... t-sig.html
parallax is compensated for, to a degree, by raising both front and rear in a uniform manner. As with a twin lens camera, out to a certain point, one must compensate manually for parallax but beyond that point parallax is minimal to nonexistent.

I suspect, but do not know, that at distances where parallax would be an issue in aiming, one wold be so close to the target that aiming itself would be nearly redundant.

Balance might be an issue for the precision shooter but balance is also affected by weight reduction of expended ammunition. I think, but again don't know, that one compensates without much thought as one gains experience.

Pressure, it seems to me based upon my wealth of experience, follows the round out of the barrel, is negligent once clearing the muzzle, and thus while possibly affecting muzzle rise and felt recoil, will not affect trajectory. Whether these influences will react rapidly enough to affect the round while transiting the suppressor is something I simply can't respond to.

One day maybe I will overcome my aversion to adding my name to lists and actually purchase a suppressor, I actually do want one but the process is daunting and seems wrought with pitfalls...when I have an extra grand burning a hole in my pocket and thus be better qualified to address your questions with some degree of experience...as it is, this is the result of sifting through buckets of bullshit in an attempt to filter out the micrograms of truth. I may have employed a less than perfect filter but ... considering what I charge for this service, such a deal at half the price eh!?
We Are So Screwed

Nobody "needs" .50 rifles or high capacity magazines or folding stocks or pistol grips either so we might as well ban them, right?

Banning things just because nobody *needs* them and they *could* be used for criminal purposes is just a slippery slope. I have not checked any statistics but I bet the number of violent crimes involving suppressors is damn close to zero.

Also, like already mentioned, suppressors are not as silent as movies make them out to be. The most silent gun I've shot was a genuine H&K MP5SD, the action made more noise than the shots - but that is a complete weapons system built around a very substantial suppressor and WAY out of the price range of your average gang banger.

rolandson wrote:
ThirstyHersh wrote:
ThirstyHersh wrote:I'm just asking a few questions. I'm not failing your version of a loyality oath here.
I regret adding this at the bottom of the question I posted yesterday. It just seemed like things were getting a little tense.
don't...regret that is.

it also happens that is doesn't appear as though your questions were addressed. not having a suppressor, I am not really qualified to address them but I will try because I too wondered about this sort of thing.

The simple solution appears to be simply raising the height of the sights; front and rear to correct for this, such as this sort of thing...
http://www.topgunsupply.com/ameriglo-tr ... t-sig.html
parallax is compensated for, to a degree, by raising both front and rear in a uniform manner. As with a twin lens camera, out to a certain point, one must compensate manually for parallax but beyond that point parallax is minimal to nonexistent.

I suspect, but do not know, that at distances where parallax would be an issue in aiming, one wold be so close to the target that aiming itself would be nearly redundant.

Balance might be an issue for the precision shooter but balance is also affected by weight reduction of expended ammunition. I think, but again don't know, that one compensates without much thought as one gains experience.

Pressure, it seems to me based upon my wealth of experience, follows the round out of the barrel, is negligent once clearing the muzzle, and thus while possibly affecting muzzle rise and felt recoil, will not affect trajectory. Whether these influences will react rapidly enough to affect the round while transiting the suppressor is something I simply can't respond to.

One day maybe I will overcome my aversion to adding my name to lists and actually purchase a suppressor, I actually do want one but the process is daunting and seems wrought with pitfalls...when I have an extra grand burning a hole in my pocket and thus be better qualified to address your questions with some degree of experience...as it is, this is the result of sifting through buckets of bullshit in an attempt to filter out the micrograms of truth. I may have employed a less than perfect filter but ... considering what I charge for this service, such a deal at half the price eh!?
When yo9u are using one of those oil can mufflers, the sights would have to be of ridiculous height. :lol:
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Appleseed instructor says he would like to see more suppressor use in classes.
http://bearingarms.com/why-are-folks-buying-silencers/
Suppressors reduce the noise somewhat (they do not “silence” guns, nor make them go “pew pew pew” as misrepresented constantly in Hollywood fantasy) so that students can more easily listen to individual instruction and tips while the firing line is “hot.” Students can also more easily hear a “cease fire” command. When communications can be more clear, safety and the quality of instruction of is improved.
http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/22/news/co ... index.html
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

DispositionMatrix wrote:Appleseed instructor says he would like to see more suppressor use in classes.
http://bearingarms.com/why-are-folks-buying-silencers/
Suppressors reduce the noise somewhat (they do not “silence” guns, nor make them go “pew pew pew” as misrepresented constantly in Hollywood fantasy) so that students can more easily listen to individual instruction and tips while the firing line is “hot.” Students can also more easily hear a “cease fire” command. When communications can be more clear, safety and the quality of instruction of is improved.
http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/22/news/co ... index.html
That only works if everyone in that class has a suppressor. One person without and it's a moot point since everyone will have to wear hearing protection.

That being said, with a lot of higher powered handguns you'll still get hearing damage over time even though you have a suppressor.

Lesee, let's ban an object if used makes a handgun less concealable, more unwieldy, and harder to aim. Doesn't work well on most rifles because, well the bullet is still supersonic after leaving the 12" of silencer. I suppose you could use a far less powerful round like a handgun round that is subsonic, but that limits range and power.

Frankly it sounds like if the Brady bunch thought this over, they would try to make them mandatory.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

I had a chance to shoot 5.56 suppressed and unsuppressed last weekend. The difference and comfort level, especially indoors, was noticeable. Noise went from normal levels (loud!) to about the level of an unsuppressed .22 in my opinion. You still knew a gun was being fired, but it was less startling.

Also, my accuracy improved since the weight of the suppressor helped with muzzle climb.

The difference was enough for me to establish my NFA trust today and get the ball rolling to get a can of my own.

If they were unrestricted items, I'd buy a can tomorrow at my LGS.

pod wrote:I had a chance to shoot 5.56 suppressed and unsuppressed last weekend. The difference and comfort level, especially indoors, was noticeable. Noise went from normal levels (loud!) to about the level of an unsuppressed .22 in my opinion. You still knew a gun was being fired, but it was less startling.

Also, my accuracy improved since the weight of the suppressor helped with muzzle climb.

The difference was enough for me to establish my NFA trust today and get the ball rolling to get a can of my own.

If they were unrestricted items, I'd buy a can tomorrow at my local Ace Hardware.
FIFY

Yeah, 5.56 frangebles would work great for home defense as they would get stopped cold the first time they hit 3/4" plywood. They can also be loaded to subsonic levels and still be fine ballistically at CQB distances. Make your ears bleed without a suppressor indoors for sure...

If I can get a suppressed 1911 that my wife could shoot I bet that would seal the deal on her citizenship. Just can't do it in public as the lack of Citizenship would make her shooting that 1911 a Felony Possession...

:evil: