$1.6 million for homemade suppressors costing $8k to make

Boy this one sure got hushed up quickly!

Senior Navy civilians investigated in alleged scheme to defraud military for $1.6 million.

Federal authorities are investigating three senior Navy intelligence officials as part of a probe into an alleged contracting scheme that charged the military $1.6 million for homemade firearm silencers that cost only $8,000 to manufacture, court records show.

The three civilian officials, who oversee highly classified programs, arranged for a hot-rod auto mechanic in California to build a specially ordered batch of unmarked and untraceable rifle silencers and sell them to the Navy at more than 200 times what they cost to manufacture, according to court documents filed by federal prosecutors.

WaPo Story here

The best part: the "Hot Rod Mechanic" is the brother of one of the "officials"!
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

Re: $1.6 million for homemade suppressors costing $8k to mak

Funny, and...

It just goes to show ya...

I had always held the Navy in high regard. Perhaps because as a grad student I had worked "closely" with the DOD on a project that may or may not have been of benefit to the Navy.

I have spent time at sea aboard a US warship or two.

I am on a first name basis with a four striper (one who holds the rank of Captain, the Navy equivalent to a Colonel), who attempted to recruit me (they waved a commission in front of me) following being laid off a teaching position at the university where all of this fun did or did not take place.

I thought the Navy better than this. The Air Force....oh, they're completely capable of this sort of thing...(also did or did not do a gig to their benefit).. but not the Navy. They put far too much emphasis on having the best looking uniforms of all of the branches.

I am again disillusioned. I can't trust anyone. Shit.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Y'know I don't see these greedy individuals as representing the whole organization. It is symptomatic of the larger problem of so much money flooding the DOD and everyone wanting to protect their own tails while the larger organization tries to protect itself from exposure.

A good (bad) example of this is the idiotic multi-million-dollar building constructed at "Camp Leatherneck" in Afghanistan-bananastan. The Army built it for Marines who said they didn't want it, have never used it, and will not use it. And the whole shebang is going to be abandoned next year. An Army review of the boondoggle concluded that nobody did anything wrong.

:huh:

I wonder if the Hot Rod suppressors actually work better than the Surefire ones they actually use.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

rolandson wrote:Funny, and...

It just goes to show ya...

I had always held the Navy in high regard. Perhaps because as a grad student I had worked "closely" with the DOD on a project that may or may not have been of benefit to the Navy.

I have spent time at sea aboard a US warship or two.

I am on a first name basis with a four striper (one who holds the rank of Captain, the Navy equivalent to a Colonel), who attempted to recruit me (they waved a commission in front of me) following being laid off a teaching position at the university where all of this fun did or did not take place.

I thought the Navy better than this. The Air Force....oh, they're completely capable of this sort of thing...(also did or did not do a gig to their benefit).. but not the Navy. They put far too much emphasis on having the best looking uniforms of all of the branches.

I am again disillusioned. I can't trust anyone. Shit.
I lived aboard an Aircraft Carrier for 4 years. Was stationed overseas for 3 more years. Seen it all.

The average Navy person lives in miserable conditions for long periods of time, doing their job with pride, low pay and minimum complaining. I have nothing but respect for them.

Civilians control contracts and purchasing. Contractors. Often employees of the same companies that are selling the 'stuff' to the military.

The same people that are now providing us F-35 fighters at up to $200 million each, when they were promised for less that $80 million.

Blame the contractors, politicians and Admirals that manage purchasing, not the the sailors and airmen that sacrifice every day.