Re: Glazer safety slugs

WillCarry wrote:I have Glazer Silver Dots for my 38 special. They are a wicked round. I carry safety slugs when I carry in crowded places.

I shoot at a police range and frankly, most of them can't shoot as good as me and I am not a great shot.

+1
The Detroit Red Wings. It's not just a game; it's a religion!

rolandson wrote:This is an ongoing conversation...and will continue to be. It's also a valuable one.

Up front, I am one who advocates the civilian use of fangible, pre-fragmented or safety slugs as a defensive round. .
+1 But I expect we're in the minority on this issue.
The Detroit Red Wings. It's not just a game; it's a religion!

Glaser Safety Slugs

Had a particularly good range experience earlier in the week. Shot respectably at 10 yards with a SIG 239 .40 using Federal FMJ (actually I was very pleased with my results). For shits and giggles I bought a bubble pack (6 rounds) of my new flavor of the week 'carry' load, which heretofore I had only run at 10 feet...Glaser 'Blue' Safety Slugs. Not one of these came anywhere near aim point, by my parlance, they were all "flyers"...7 to 10 inches off and no grouping, all random.

Returned yesterday: 10 rounds of Federal 'Hydra Shok' and 10 Federal HST, both 135gr., 50 FMJ and 12 more Glaser's...all fired from a bench rest at 10 yards with the same 239.

For all intents and purposes the Federal's might just as well have gone through the same hole from the size of the grouping. All of the FMJ's as well, albeit a different hole. None of the Glaser's came close to anything approaching a group and again, nowhere near aim point. Again, this was from a bench rest and all 12 rounds were randomly arranged around the target; the nearest to AP was 5 inches and the furthest 12.

I showed the resulting targets to my coach and he asked if I hadn't mistakenly been shooting 9mm out of the .40....it was that bad. I have no more of the little blue buggers left, so an accurate measurement isn't going to happen...but the cases are clearly stamped "COR-BON 40 S&W".

Shit. My faith in humanity and Madison Avenue (or wherever Glaser's ad agency dwells) has been shaken.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

eelj wrote:Based on the way they work on ballistic gelatin Steve should have had some years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUsyXQ8Wrs Would've saved the town much quicker and made it too the back seat with Helen Crump.
well damn, if that's the case I'll go buy some more...not the 'saving the town' thing mind you, I'm more interested in the back seat.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed