Re: .45 vs. .40

I feel as if I absolutely despise my Glock 22. I am yet to shoot a .45. I want someone else to shoot my glock to see if the sights are off or if my technique is that bad.

is it a terrible joke for a liberal gun forum to say that every time I shoot my .40 i am way left of the target?
E pluribus unum

Fukshot wrote:.45 recoil is heavy and soft. .40 recoil is sharp and snappy. I find .45 way more comfortable to shoot.

Aha!

I was just looking at Jim Downey's site and saw that out of a 3" barrel the FPS is between 7 and 800 FPS. I started to worry if a .45 will penetrate a large primate's sternum at that speed. I imagine a rabid large sized chimpanzee.
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

If you consistently shoot to the left with anything you shoot you are putting too much of your finger on the trigger and pushing the gun over as you squeeze. Try to squeeze the trigger with just the tip of your finger, close to the first joint. If you get more finger on the trigger you will always push or pull the pistol one way or another. My hands are huge and I have to pay constant attention to how I am addressing the trigger. My wifes hands are much smaller. She doesn't a finger placement problem very often, except with double actions with a long trigger pull. By the time the gun actually goes off she has a grip on the gun like she is trying to choke it to death. She even has issues with my XD....in her opinion all guns should have a frikin hammer.

I have no opinion to offer on either the 40 or 45. Everything I own is either a 9mm or a 357. I made a decision to stick to those two calibers so I could just buy two types of ammo to shoot everything. Everything else I have bought was for sale or trade.
Last edited by JohnDeer on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

edfromnj wrote:I feel as if I absolutely despise my Glock 22. I am yet to shoot a .45. I want someone else to shoot my glock to see if the sights are off or if my technique is that bad.

is it a terrible joke for a liberal gun forum to say that every time I shoot my .40 i am way left of the target?
Just left, or are you off vertically as well?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

GuitarsandGuns wrote:
Fukshot wrote:.45 recoil is heavy and soft. .40 recoil is sharp and snappy. I find .45 way more comfortable to shoot.

Aha!

I was just looking at Jim Downey's site and saw that out of a 3" barrel the FPS is between 7 and 800 FPS. I started to worry if a .45 will penetrate a large primate's sternum at that speed. I imagine a rabid large sized chimpanzee.
Don't think you've got much to worry about there:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

Plenty of "oomph" in the 3" barrel to stop the rabid chimp I'd say.

Not knocking the 40- it's a fine, if somewhat compromise caliber between 9mm and 45- I'm kicking of the "Jerry" by saying I think it was a solution in search of a problem :roflmao:

That aside, the ballistics of the 40 is good though- definitely snappy.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

There is nothing at all wrong with the .40 S&W round. Yet for reasons listed above, I prefer the .45acp. It has the stopping power yet is easier on the hands and easier on the pistol (less pressure). The .357 Sig is an awesome round too I just don't like shooting them.
"I've upped my standards. Now, up yours" Pat Paulsen

GuitarsandGuns wrote:
shinzen wrote: Don't think you've got much to worry about there:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

Plenty of "oomph" in the 3" barrel to stop the rabid chimp I'd say.
Did you know that Jim Downey's site is http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com?
:oops2:

Nope. Apparently it's Monday and my brain has ceased functioning.
- Maya Angelou

Compared a Taurus .45 1911 that seemed smallish for a 1911 (not having a shits worth of experience with 1911's mind you) and 2 SIG 229's .40 (one all stainless, the other aluminum framed) and a SIG 239 .40.

To me, the .45 and the aluminum 229 seemed very similar, the 239 a little more muzzle rise and the stainless 229 a very gentle push. The stainless is very heavy by comparison to the others.

Way back I had the opportunity to fire GaucheGlock's .45 glock that is his carry. It's a glock so it's very light and a carry so it's very smallish. I think it was comparable to the recoil of an aluminum 229 in .40.

I think it comes down to what one happens to be putting the respective round into (and out of) than anything else.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I didn't care for my PT140, but that was in large part because of the unpredictable and mushy trigger. I did, however, feel that the recoil from .40 was definitely "sharper" than from .45 but that also could've been due to the polymer frame of the Taurus.

As far as the efficacy of .40/.45, countless volumes have been written on that topic. I'd have no problem carrying either as a defensive round. My personal opinion is that .40 is more the "thoughtful" round, in that you can generate nearly the same kinetic energy as .45 with a good load and still have a higher magazine capacity.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

atxgunguy wrote:I'm most accurate with my .45ACP. Heavy and soft with manstopping power, there's a lot of innuendo in that bullet.
Innuendo and out the other end-o?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. We now return to your regularly scheduled good taste.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

GuitarsandGuns wrote:

Aha!

Whenever I wonder if my chosen caliber and weapon will be effective, I ask myself if I would stop long enough for a follow up shot, or two, if I were hit by it. The answer always seems to be "yes". This is why I am comfortable carrying a .380. That .45 coming out of a short barrel may not be lethal instantly, but it will seriously injure, knock down and cause numerous regrets and second thoughts in your adversary. As I'm sure you already know, practice and shot placement are two of our greatest allies in a gunfight. I say shoot it and carry it with confidence.

rglad wrote:This is why I am comfortable carrying a .380. That .45 coming out of a short barrel may not be lethal instantly, but it will seriously injure, knock down and cause numerous regrets and second thoughts in your adversary. As I'm sure you already know, practice and shot placement are two of our greatest allies in a gunfight. I say shoot it and carry it with confidence.
I feel the same about the .380 and although I can hit with my LCP, I'm not all that fond of it. I hope to get a Sig P238 in the future. So .45 when I have the large pocket and .380 for the smaller pocket.

Today I can hit better on the first shot with the .45 over all my revolvers but, Since the .45 requires releasing a safety, that is one step before firing. Cocking my double action Ruger would also be one step before firing.
So almost equal. The thing is weird. at contact distance I'd prefer a LCR revolver. At aiming distance I'd prefer the .45..

Last night we put the Laserlyte trainer in the barrel and were hitting the top of a cactus with the laser dot at 50 yards plus.
That is how good the trigger is.
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

If you reload, shoot whatever you like. They both are plenty of gun.

If you don't shoot often, shoot whatever you like.

If shoot more than a box a month and don't reload, 40 is better because it is almost always available. I can count on one thumb the number of times I've seen 45acp or 45lc on the shelves.

And I find 40 pretty snappy and would like to move from a 180g to a 205g load when I start to roll my own.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."