Re: *NOT STEEL CASED* what does this mean

steel cased ammo cannot be reloaded (generally speaking) and will not be allowed at most indoor ranges. Steel core ammo may damage backstops more than lead. (Actually definitely will) lacquer coated steel cased makes a bit of a mess in whatever you are shooting it through.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

If used correctly "steel cased" refers to the cartridge case only. "Steel jacket" refers to the material surrounding the actual bullet. I have not encountered a range where they were concerned about the cartridge case material, but bullet construction is a real concern. The bullet may also have a steel core instead of a lead core, which will cause even more damage to metal targets (or target holders) as well as backstops. :? There, all clear now? :w00t:
Merle from PA

senorgrand wrote:Most ranges concerned with steel core ammo just ban steel cased ammo because it's easier than inspecting every round.

Probably true, but the only range I have ever been to that banned steel jacket/core passed a magnet over the bullet, but ignored the case. The range master said the case wasn't a concern, as it doesn't go down range. I don't doubt that different ranges have different policies. :confused:
Merle from PA

Yup. My home outdoor range doesn't care what you put downrange, as long as it isn't tracers.

The only local indoor range won't let you shoot anything but FMJ brass. They get so much traffic that they can't afford to dig around in range bags and question shooters and use magnets. I undestand that. They also don't allow rifles above 223, so it isn't a big issue since 90% of steel stuff is Soviet Bloc 7.62

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Merle wrote: Probably true, but the only range I have ever been to that banned steel jacket/core passed a magnet over the bullet, but ignored the case. The range master said the case wasn't a concern, as it doesn't go down range. I don't doubt that different ranges have different policies. :confused:
That's our rule, too. We run the magnet over the bullets, and so, for example, Hornady Steel Match ammo is allowed at our range 'cause there's no steel in the projectile. There's also one type of Wolf ammo that we allow that uses a straight copper (not bi-metal) jacket. As long as the bullet's not magnetic, we allow it.

Regarding the reloading of steel cases, I just did it with Boxer-primed steel Wolf cases in .45 Auto. It works just fine.

There is also some brass-cased ammo that we don't allow because of either the bi-metal jacket or the steel core. Examples include M855 and SS109 5.56 NATO ammo (banned), but the XM193 is just fine. This is why the (increasingly rare nowadays) Yugoslavian 7.62x39 milsurp corrosive ammo is so popular at a lot of ranges that ban steel *anything*. It's totally non-magnetic.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote:That's our rule, too. We run the magnet over the bullets, and so, for example, Hornady Steel Match ammo is allowed at our range 'cause there's no steel in the projectile. There's also one type of Wolf ammo that we allow that uses a straight copper (not bi-metal) jacket. As long as the bullet's not magnetic, we allow it.

Regarding the reloading of steel cases, I just did it with Boxer-primed steel Wolf cases in .45 Auto. It works just fine.

There is also some brass-cased ammo that we don't allow because of either the bi-metal jacket or the steel core. Examples include M855 and SS109 5.56 NATO ammo (banned), but the XM193 is just fine. This is why the (increasingly rare nowadays) Yugoslavian 7.62x39 milsurp corrosive ammo is so popular at a lot of ranges that ban steel *anything*. It's totally non-magnetic.
Is it normal for you to inspect ammo at your range? This has never happened to me at any range I've shot at.

JerseyDog wrote:
Is it normal for you to inspect ammo at your range? This has never happened to me at any range I've shot at.
The local range here has a sign up reserving the right to inspect everything. Gun, ammo, bag, hearing protection....all of it.

I have only seen it done once to a guy who was having some 'tude about the "no steel cased rounds" rule.
Proud to be one of the NRA's worst nightmares: lesbian, pagan, educated liberal democrat-ish GUN OWNER.

curtism1234 wrote:I don't shoot these kinds of guns, but a lot of people will not shoot steel anything (case or jacket) in quality / expensive rifles like a AR because it is said to damage them. People with sks and ak's are more likely to use them because they do not care.

Don't know if it's true, but I'm just saying
It won't damage an AR as long as it's a quality AR.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Awake wrote:The reason that I have been given that steel cored ammo is not allowed is that it damages backstops, and more importantly it can be dangerous because it can ricochet if it hits steel.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/VyhgC4wF7MU[/youtu_be]
What exactly happens in that video. Based on the elapsed time between the shot and then it hitting him the slug had to have traveled quite a distance in one direction before ricocheting back. In reality what's the odds of this happening? 1 in 1,000?

JerseyDog wrote: Is it normal for you to inspect ammo at your range? This has never happened to me at any range I've shot at.
Yep, it is. We've found several examples of ammo with steel-containing bullets (jacket or core), and we have to say no. Most people respect that rule. There've been a few "honest mistakes" that really were just that. In such cases, we just hold that ammo in the observation area till they're done shooting. There've been a few folks, though, that have put the Tulammo rounds in the American Eagle boxes, trying to fool us. These folks get caught and are directed to leave the range. Additionally, management is notified just in case the customer decides to become agitated. We are very serious about this rule.

We have no problem, by contrast, with cast lead bullets. These neither spark nor damage our backstop. Since plenty of reloaders (including myself) do use cast bullets, this allows for as much home-rolled "cheap practice ammo" as you feel like bringing. Since, to my knowledge, nobody sells steel-containing bullets for handgun rounds, if I know it's reloads, I don't even bother checking it. If it's rifle loads, we do check those, because steel-core military surplus rifle bullets (e. g. armour-piercing) are available for reloaders.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

The outdoor range I shoot at never inspects the pistol shooters ammo, but the rifle range all ammo is inspected and they don't allow FMJ, Tracers or 50 BMG.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

don1960lp wrote:
Merle wrote:
don1960lp wrote:
don1960lp wrote: What exactly happens in that video.
Anyone?

A ricochet came back & took the hat off his head.
That part I get but how the heck does a bullet fly that far in one direction only to do a complete 180 and come straight back to the source?

I'd say it hit either a steel plate or a rock. I have had bullets bounce back & hit me from 50 ~ 100 yards from a smaller caliber, so I know it is possible. That has happened at an IHMSA silhouette match plus an indoor range.
Merle from PA