.380 ammo

My brother taught my niece to shoot when she was quite young. She has turned me onto a .380 for a CCW. I have found one that I like -- I'm going to call some of our local places to see if they have on I can try. It's a Bersa. I have to say I am intrigued by it -- looks like a pretty nice little gun -- definitely good reviews on it - watched the video from Hickock and he seemed to be impressed by it.

So I've been poking around the internet and darn near every site I go to for ammo all says the same thing "back order" or "not in stock" or "unavailable" It's kind of disheartening. I guess I thought the ammo shortage was an urban myth. I guess not.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

Re: .380 ammo

Go local. While not plentiful, I see 380 when shipments land at Big 5, Walmart, etc.

Some may disagree, but even FMJ is ok for SD ammo in 380, since over penatration isn't a real issue. HP would be better, but...

Call tomorrow...you might have a good chance on picking some up when folks are drained of cash from xmas.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Our Walmarts are prohibited by our lovely state to sell ammo -- so progressive, aren't we? But I will start calling around tomorrow.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

If I carried a .380, this is what would be loaded in it: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=127 Their online store has it in stock (I can put it in a shopping cart and start to check out without an out-of-stock complaint). Are citizens of CT allowed to mail order ammo still? If so, do so. They make the best self-defense ammo on the market right now.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Just bear in mind, the 380 is not a range gun. You can practice with it at the range, I certainly do, but it's not something most folks find to be fun shooters no matter what. I don't "mind" shooting my p238, but I'd much rather shoot the full sized glock. Just something to keep in mind.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I think that grip angles, etc are much more important as guns decrease in size.

I shot a Bersa alloy and hated it (didn't finish the mag). My 9mm snub shoots a much more powerful round out of a shorter barrel and I prefer it. Although, a box is usually my limit before my elbow cries foul.

Anyway, the smaller the gun, the more "YMMV" seems to hold true.

senorgrand wrote:Seriously, fuck CT. Most people in LA spend more time in traffic every day than it takes you to drive to NH. You should plan a trip to the Granite State to stock up.
I hadn't thought to head up to NH -- or VT. Be a nice day trip. I mean - what could be better...drivin' to a gun shop - maybe sample some local fare - drive back home. Heck, I've driven to Pennsylvania for some shoo fly pie and homemade Amish fudge.
wlewisiii wrote:If I carried a .380, this is what would be loaded in it: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=127 Their online store has it in stock (I can put it in a shopping cart and start to check out without an out-of-stock complaint). Are citizens of CT allowed to mail order ammo still? If so, do so. They make the best self-defense ammo on the market right now.
I think we can - but I'm not 100% sure. I heard something about it having to be sent to an FFL but not totally sure about that. It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. Might be that it has to be a direct delivery - has to be signed for. I'll have to poke around the laws to find out.

One of the reasons I am looking at the .380 is size - I have small hands - short -- only 5'3' -- I'm no where near ready to buy yet. I have a lot of considerations besides size - I have repetative motion disease in both of my hands - I have carpal tunnel syndrome in one wrist - and in my dominent wrist, carpal tunnel disease (surgery did not work). I also have tremors - I know enough not to shoot when my tremors start acting up. But one of the considerations I have to think about is my ability to hold the gun tightly.

If you have bad/small hands, consider larger guns, not smaller. A good 38 revolver might work. A great choice if racking a slide is hard. Also, Walther sells a full-sized pistol that shoots 380. Might work well.

find a range with a good rental counter and call ahead and tell them your needs and shoot a bunch of stuff. Beretta 92 is great for small hands BTW.

just don't let the guy at the counter sell you some pink piece of crap because you're female.

I'd second the revolver idea. A little 32 S&W might be just what the dr ordered- Good for smaller hands, manageable recoil, and about as accurate as you can get. Worth a gander anyway.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

senorgrand wrote:If you have bad/small hands, consider larger guns, not smaller. A good 38 revolver might work. A great choice if racking a slide is hard. Also, Walther sells a full-sized pistol that shoots 380. Might work well.

find a range with a good rental counter and call ahead and tell them your needs and shoot a bunch of stuff. Beretta 92 is great for small hands BTW.

just don't let the guy at the counter sell you some pink piece of crap because you're female.
I really wish you were within driving distance of Texas as I know the collective here could gather a huge sampling of weapons for you to try out in one fell swoop. Is there a range anywhere near you that might offer a "ladies night" that features cheap range and rental rates? Trying a bunch of different guns at the same time definitely affords some real comparison data.
LGC Texas - Vice President

My wife has the Bersa 380 and loves it. Really is a nice little piece. I often carry their .40 UC Pro and have been pretty happy with it. Most people that shoot ours at the range hold their nose at first, and then ask where to get one. Not saying they are the best thing out there, but I am confident it will always go bang when I need it to, and puts bullets where I aim them.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

Inquisitor wrote:The Bersa 380 is actually a dandy little gun. I have one, if you can sort out the FFL and shipping fees ;)
I've found a number of them online - NIB - for a very decent price. Like I said, I'm a ways from buying yet. But a friend of mine who has one and swears by it.
atxgunguy wrote: Is there a range anywhere near you that might offer a "ladies night" that features cheap range and rental rates? Trying a bunch of different guns at the same time definitely affords some real comparison data.
In Connecticut?? Ha! I'd have a better chance of finding a republican who supports the ACA and is willing to fund it by taxes on the wealthy.
senorgrand wrote:
Although that's a great way to be sure that the spouse and my sons don't take my gun :laugh:

senorgrand wrote:Go local. While not plentiful, I see 380 when shipments land at Big 5, Walmart, etc.

Some may disagree, but even FMJ is ok for SD ammo in 380, since over penatration isn't a real issue. HP would be better, but...

Call tomorrow...you might have a good chance on picking some up when folks are drained of cash from xmas.

Some say that most 380 in hollow point configuration will not penetrate deeply enough & FMJ is to be preferred. The ballistic gel test videos I have seen on you tube seem to agree with this.
Merle from PA

When I was considering a 380, I found it a mixed bag on defense rounds. Also, when you get to that end, I think you should consider winter and summer loads if you live in snow regions. Not sure a mushroom round of 380 would do enough having to pass through a parka, coat, long johns, etc.

Not as clear-cut as 9mm loads, so I don't have a lot to offer. EXCEPT, as stated before, a belly gun isn't going to see a lot of range time. So your range and carry ammo should really be the same.

If it were me, I'd find a bulk jhp (WWB, Federal, etc) that shot and fed well through he pistol, buy a few hundred rounds, and be done with it.

christianne wrote:My brother taught my niece to shoot when she was quite young. She has turned me onto a .380 for a CCW. I have found one that I like -- I'm going to call some of our local places to see if they have on I can try. It's a Bersa. I have to say I am intrigued by it -- looks like a pretty nice little gun -- definitely good reviews on it - watched the video from Hickock and he seemed to be impressed by it.

So I've been poking around the internet and darn near every site I go to for ammo all says the same thing "back order" or "not in stock" or "unavailable" It's kind of disheartening. I guess I thought the ammo shortage was an urban myth. I guess not.

try this search - it has worked for me :clap:

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/380-auto
Merle from PA

My primary CC is a Bersa Thunder 380. It has the features that I like, such as true DA/SA, a hammer, a safety (for when you want it there), a decocker so you don't have to fumble with the trigger and hammer after chambering the first round.

The modern 380 round has little resemblance to the rounds from 20 years ago, and it is plenty powerful for emergency self defense, with the added attraction that it is far more controllable than larger loads, so accuracy under stress increases, specially for second shots.

The only thing that I hold against Bersa, and makes me suggest that you should look elsewhere, is its online forum; some of the worse people in gun forums in the entire internet. It's a group that nobody should aspire to belong to... it makes me feel dirty just to carry a Bersa.

Awake wrote:My primary CC is a Bersa Thunder 380. It has the features that I like, such as true DA/SA, a hammer, a safety (for when you want it there), a decocker so you don't have to fumble with the trigger and hammer after chambering the first round.

The modern 380 round has little resemblance to the rounds from 20 years ago, and it is plenty powerful for emergency self defense, with the added attraction that it is far more controllable than larger loads, so accuracy under stress increases, specially for second shots.

The only thing that I hold against Bersa, and makes me suggest that you should look elsewhere, is its online forum; some of the worse people in gun forums in the entire internet. It's a group that nobody should aspire to belong to... it makes me feel dirty just to carry a Bersa.

What forum is that? Everyplace I have visited was pretty positive, so I'd like to see what you are talking about.
Merle from PA

I carry .380 in an auto sometimes and tried out several of the 'standard' ammo but wasn't too impressed with any of them. Buffalo Bore, which I have shot and carried in .38spl turned out to be exactly as advertised when I checked velocity, few of the stand brands get to their billed speeds, and speed is energy when you are talking bullets and I'd expect BB to be pretty much as advertised.

One slightly off brand ammo is Tula, which is Russian ammo. Russian ammo for many calibers uses what they call a bimetal jacket, which is really just a copper plated mild steel jacket over a regular lead core. What surprised me when I chronographed the speed of this stuff is it's about 100fps faster than standard ammo. Out of a 3.5" Bersa you could expect 1030fps or about 215ft/lbs of energy compared to about 180ft/lbs for most 'standard' ammo. Because of the steel jacket, it penetrates better than copper jacket rounds as well, do for this reason it use it for carry ammo. It's cheap also.

Buffalo Bore is about 1150fps/280ft/lbs which is considerably more powerful, but also recoils more as well.

As with any carry ammo especially in semi-automatic pistols shoot several magazines full through the gun of the type of ammo you want to use to make sure it feeds reliably. With Buffalo Bore that will be a little pricey, and with Tula you have to do it at an outdoor range because indoor ranges use bullet trapping systems that those steel jacketed bullets tear up.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

I've shot the 9mm in an auto with no drama. I don't think the 9mm has the extra kick the .380 does. I think they use the same powder charge for .380 they use for 9mm Mak which is their largest production, and the difference in case volume and therefore pressure ends up as a hotter round.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

I've shot a fair bit of the Bersa line. The Compact has nubs that do passably work for sights at 3-5 yards, the .40 is uncomfortable, the .45 Compact was fun aside from the nubs and less rounds than a 1911. The Bersa Thunder .380 Plus was nice but I don't think that it is rated for +P and has a history of return spring issues.

.380 ammo can be hard to find. I reload for it which helps.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

christianne wrote:
atxgunguy wrote: Is there a range anywhere near you that might offer a "ladies night" that features cheap range and rental rates? Trying a bunch of different guns at the same time definitely affords some real comparison data.
In Connecticut?? Ha! I'd have a better chance of finding a republican who supports the ACA and is willing to fund it by taxes on the wealthy.
christianne wrote:I've driven to Pennsylvania for some shoo fly pie and homemade Amish fudge.
Day trip! Amish fudge and guns. Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong side of the state to give you any range recommendations.