Re: Pistol ammo, what's your latest thoughts?

I shoot 9mm exclusively but over the years I have found this..

Range Ammo

Reliable & CLEAN (as clean as ammo can be)

Speer Lawman
Federal American Eagle
GECO
Magtech
S&B

Reliable but hit/miss on the clean

Winchester White Box
Armscor
Federal White box.
Blazer Brass
Aguila
IMI Samson (loaded more like +P)

Reliable but dirty

Remington
Precision

Somewhat Unreliable & Dirty

Bubba's Special Reloads.
TUL
Wolf
Blazer Aluminium Jacketed

---

Best for Self Defense (in 9mm):

Speer Gold Dot 124 & 124+P

Speer Gold Dot 124 +P Short barrel

Federal 124 HST (best in small indoor setting), Federal 124 HST +P

-------

Many more that I have shot over the years, but this is the list that comes to mind.

bigmike0301 wrote:
CowboyT wrote:Coming from the perspective of a reloader....

PMC's good stuff, too. We sell that at the shop, and not only does the ammo perform well, the brass cases are very reloadable and seem to hold up well.
Normally, I'd agree, but I just finished some 45 ACP and had three split cases coming off the powder station and they were all PMC.
They'd been reloaded 3 times for the Blackhawk, not excessively hot (5.2 of Red Dot under a 200 gr RN).
I used to separate the brass by manufacturer but had stopped after reading some of the posts. Maybe I'm belling the case mouth too much?
Could be. I bell the very minimum necessary to seat the bullet, in any of my cases. Also, Blackhawk chambers are known to be a little generous in dimensions, much like my Security-Six is. This will work the brass a bit more when that resizing die does its stuff.

It could also just be a bad batch of brass. I had an inordinate amount of case splits with .45 Long Colt a little bit back. These were minimum, i. e. "cowboy style" loads in R-P cases. Since Remington brass normally tends to be pretty good, I attribute it to a bad run during the Great Ammo Rush of 2009.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

It turns out I accumulate reloading supplies. I'm going to have to figure a good way to organize the bullets better. Like some of us, I have several different weights for any given caliber, and of course they're in varying quantities.

One neat side effect to accumulating is that sometimes I forget what's there. Found a box of primed cases. hehe

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CowboyT wrote:
bigmike0301 wrote:
CowboyT wrote:Coming from the perspective of a reloader....

PMC's good stuff, too. We sell that at the shop, and not only does the ammo perform well, the brass cases are very reloadable and seem to hold up well.
Normally, I'd agree, but I just finished some 45 ACP and had three split cases coming off the powder station and they were all PMC.
They'd been reloaded 3 times for the Blackhawk, not excessively hot (5.2 of Red Dot under a 200 gr RN).
I used to separate the brass by manufacturer but had stopped after reading some of the posts. Maybe I'm belling the case mouth too much?
Could be. I bell the very minimum necessary to seat the bullet, in any of my cases. Also, Blackhawk chambers are known to be a little generous in dimensions, much like my Security-Six is. This will work the brass a bit more when that resizing die does its stuff.
Went back after I posted and calipered some random cases. Since I use a universal expander there is a chance that a case might be a tad long. If I raising the press the same distance for all the cases, then the longer ones will be 'over belled'. Sure enough, the 4 of 10 PMC were a bit long, maybe .02. Think I'll start segregating my cases by manufacturer again