Re: Cowboy action and the difference in bullet grain?

Trail Boss is the powder CAS shooters like most (along with HP38 and other high-volume powders).

Here are their loads: http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/trailboss.php

I would expect these to be their most popular loads. The 158g is loaded with less powder than the 125g for 38 spc, but the reverse is true of the 357 loads (which is kind of interesting).

In any case, you could shoot cowboy loads with either, but I think there is more load data for 158g. The flipside is 125g bullets are cheaper. I bought 158s for my first loads, just because it offers me more options in 38 and 357 loads. YMMV.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Cowboy action and the difference in bullet grain?

I believe that your SAA clone has fixed sights? If that's the case, stick to 158 grain bullets (magtech 158 gr L(ead) R(ound) N(ose) are cheap, low recoil & very reliable) because that was the traditional police load. As a result, the makers all regulated the pistols so that the point of aim with .38 Special & .357 Magnum are correct with 158 gr. This is mostly affected by the weight of the bullet at pistol ranges rather than velocity. Use 158's and just use the sights as they are. 125's will have a lower POI (point of impact) than your POA (point of aim) and generally won't be that much different in recoil than factory LRN anyway. The Federal 130 gr. jacketed flat nose I have have a higher velocity and recoil than the Magtech for example.

One last bit of advice - avoid the stuff made for the "cowboy action" people. It'll cost more and give you nothing helpful in return in my opinion. Just buy inexpensive lead round nose from companies like Magtech and enjoy the world of .38 Special. If you really want puff balls that are even lighter, reloading with 4 gr of Trail Boss & 158 gr LRN bullets is as simple as it gets ;)

Hope this helps
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White