Gel tests of the RIP 9mm

John Ervin at BrassFetcher sent me this video of his testing the RIP 9mm. It looks impressive initially, but then consider that the petals only penetrate 4 - 5", and the 'core' only makes it to 12". In 10% ballistic gel that is just barely to the FBI minimum penetration standard:

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/hWdqsDm79Wc[/youtu_be]

So, no thanks, I'll pass. Thoughts?

(Full disclosure: John's a friend, and we have worked together on some ballistic projects.)

Jim
James Downey

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ - handgun cartridge research
http://www.stcybiswell.com/ - my latest novel
http://www.legacybookbindery.com/ - my professional site

Re: Gel tests of the RIP 9mm

I dunno, I think civilians using FBI tests to determine ammo choice is wrongheaded. FBI and INS testing is designed for gunfights where penetration of barriers is considered important. Civilian shootings are frequently frontal and rarely through barriers. The fact is any ammo that is deigned to go through a barrier then penetrate the target well enough to incapacitate will when used in a frontal shot go right through unless a bone is hit. I'd prefer not having that happen, which is why I carry a snubbie in .38 most always, and my other carry choices are .380, 9mm Mak and .32's of various types.

SO this ammo is OK, but too damned expensive and as begemot stated why would I use something that makes a point of being more destructive, as I may be liable for that. I don't carry Green Tipped Zombie Killers or Ninja Tactical Atomic Bursters in my gun either for the same reason.

I'm pretty impressed with how well FMJ and softpoint ammo takes out game, I really doubt human beings are significantly harder to neutralize.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

It's just another over-hyped Wonder Bullet that underperforms and whose "Xtreeeem" advertising campaign can and will be used against you in a court of law should you ever need to use it for serious purposes.

I'll stick to well proven, non-hyped bullet designs from reputable manufacturers, thank you very much.

Paladin wrote:The comments on YouTube are great.
OMFG!!!!
Guys, I'm a former Marine, Navy SEAL, DEVGRU Operator, Federal Law Enforcement Officer as a Federal Criminal Investigator and Federal air Marshal, and government contractor for DOS and others. I've had personal time with the world's foremost authority on terminal wound ballistics, Doctor Fackler. I was brought in to test the RIP ammunition as a professional third party by G2R. I do not represent the company, but know what the rounds do and do not. In that personal testing and experience, I learned that this ammunition is a significant advancement in terminal performance.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Gecko LIVES!!!

Fukshot wrote:
Guys, I'm a former Marine, Navy SEAL, DEVGRU Operator, Federal Law Enforcement Officer as a Federal Criminal Investigator and Federal air Marshal, and government contractor for DOS and others. I've had personal time with the world's foremost authority on terminal wound ballistics, Doctor Fackler. I was brought in to test the RIP ammunition as a professional third party by G2R. I do not represent the company, but know what the rounds do and do not. In that personal testing and experience, I learned that this ammunition is a significant advancement in terminal performance.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Gecko LIVES!!!
He had me at Operator :lol:

Guys, I'm a former Marine, Navy SEAL, DEVGRU Operator, Federal Law Enforcement Officer as a Federal Criminal Investigator and Federal air Marshal, and government contractor for DOS and others. I've had personal time with the world's foremost authority on terminal wound ballistics, Doctor Fackler.
Fack you.

Edit: Facknuts

just for FYI.. I discovered that for home gel testing, just buy a bunch of unflavored gelatin from the canning section of the store, and mix it with half the water it recommends. or less water if you want to change the viscosity of it even more. In many years of doing this I found it works really well. And, the critters like to eat it after you plucked the lead from within.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more