My new 9mm arrived yesterday.

The first handgun I've owned since I was a kid arrived yesterday. I believe I've waited this long because the kids are older now and I feel more comfortable with a pistol in the house....don't judge! My son and I will be going to the range this morning to try it out along with the ammo I made for it. The gun is a Zastava m70a. Since I bought my son his Mosin, we've both been pretty interested in cold war Soviet block weapons. Function over form, built like tanks and a pretty stellar value too! If I like it, I'm thinking I'll get the actual Tokarev 7.62x25 once my C&R comes in.

Re: My new 9mm arrived yesterday.

Congrats, let us know how it works out for you.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

The gun worked well. The shooter...not so much. I was all over the paper at 20 ft. The military sights were hard to see in an indoor range with a black backstop and half of the target was black so I was spending a bit of time finding the sights. I was wearing shooting glasses instead of my perscrips so that could be a factor as well. Definitely need more range time to get proficient.

The first box ammo I've ever loaded turned out okay too. I built up 10 rounds each from the minimum load in .2 grain increments up to about .4 grains below the max charge. Build 1 and 2 were very light but all of them cycled...barely. 3 and 4 seemed about right. 5 had a decent kick to it. I had 4 rounds that didn't "go into battery"? Is that the right term for when the round doesn't fit and the slide doesn't close completely? When I got home I took my barrel out and tried to chamber them again...definitely didn't fit. Does this mean I didn't taper them properly? They seemed rough around the edge of the case. I didn't adjust the seating die once I got to a mid OAL so I'm at a loss for how they occurred so randomly. I'll pull them and try again. I'm going to load up more of the 3rd set this afternoon. 115 plated with 4.8 grains of unique. Going to try to get 150 done today so I can go to the range again tomorrow. :thumbup:

Did I mention, I really enjoy reloading. In my humble its as much fun as shooting them!!!

ncbluedot wrote:The first handgun I've owned since I was a kid arrived yesterday. I believe I've waited this long because the kids are older now and I feel more comfortable with a pistol in the house....don't judge! My son and I will be going to the range this morning to try it out along with the ammo I made for it. The gun is a Zastava m70a. Since I bought my son his Mosin, we've both been pretty interested in cold war Soviet block weapons. Function over form, built like tanks and a pretty stellar value too! If I like it, I'm thinking I'll get the actual Tokarev 7.62x25 once my C&R comes in.

I have an M70 in Tokareva. I was excited when I first got it, but after I shot it the first time it was rather meh. I think it is more of a point blank type weapon. I love my other 2 Zastava firearms but the pistol was just underwhelming.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

ncbluedot wrote:
hillman wrote:I owned a M70A. For my eyes those sights are pretty damn useless.
AGREE!!!! Sights do have a lot to be desired. Even so, after 500 rounds I can keep the groupings relatively tight. For $200, I think its a damn good value.
If I had kept mine, I would have added some solder to the front sight, then squared it up. Then I would have filed out the rear sight to get a decent 'picture', and put a dab of white nail polish on the front sight. The other problem I had with it was related to it being single action only, with an awkward-to-reach safety, and no half-cock notch for the hammer (so that I could ignore the safety).

The guy I sold it to had several other Tokarevs, and had developed both a 'trigger job' process and an affection for the guns.
The universe - is what it is.

Another 9mm will arrive on Monday...total impulse buy. I was watching some Hickok45 videos on YouTube and came across his review of the Taurus Millennium G2 [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3tJrK2ma4[/youtube]
Quickly went over to slickguns and found one delivered for $219. I figured I wouldn't have to buy a new set of dies and if it wasn't all it was cracked up to be I wouldn't be out much moo-la. Still stunned at my impulsiveness. Thinking about using the "this gun? I've had this for a while" line my wife uses on me when I find new shoes, dresses...etc.