Re: Underwood Ammo

In researching defense ammo for my LCP, I found the general idea was that 380 fmj was a better defense round then jhp. The thought was that the 380 just doesn't pack enough oomph to push a jhp deep enough to stop an assailant. On the other hand, the fmj goes deep, but does not do the damage required to stop an attack. The new XTP jhp rounds from various manufacturers seems to have good penetration and good expansion, but a little iffy on consistency. I found info on Lehigh 380 XPs that have consistent deep penetration and create a substantial wound cavity. The Underwood XPs look to have a very similar design, but with greater muzzle velocity. I settled on the Lehigh 380 XPs.

If you like Underwood, check out Lehigh. They sometimes load Underwood bullets into their ammo.
I also invite you to check out the Xtreme Cavitator round in 32 ACP. It is the only 32 round that meets FBI standards for penetration, and it is barrier blind.
https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 3336852996

All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Underwood typically sells hot ammo loaded with other people's bullets. In this case they buy projectiles from Lehigh.

They often create a cartridge not available from the bullet manufacturer. Underwood has 9mm +P 65 grain Lehigh Xtreme Defender rounds, which Lehigh doesn't sell. Basically Underwood takes the 65 grain bullet that Lehigh puts on .380 ACP and uses it with a 9mm case. The result is 468 ft lbs of energy delivered at a screaming 1800 fps; regular 9mm ammo is rated around 360 ft lbs. This is my carry round, because lighter bullets mean a lighter loaded gun.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I bought a couple of boxes of Underwood for my 10 mms, back when they still shipped most of their stuff in 50 round boxes and undercut the prices of Buffalo Bore more dramatically. (Seems like they decided that business model wasn't optimal and the price gap has mostly closed.) When I chronoed a few rounds, the 180 grain XTPs matched the advertised velocity. The 200 grain lead bullets did not, at least in my gun (which could possibly be explained by something like a throat slightly too loose for that bullet, so pressure didn't build as expected). I forget the numbers, but I'm gonna say they were comfortably over 100 FPS slower than claimed, probably around 150. They'd still leave a mark, but it was a little disappointing.

At their old price point, I didn't care much. If I was buying their little boxes of 20 now and they didn't live up to the claimed performance, I'd be pissed!
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.