Factory 357 ammo...recomendations

I'm getting ready to sell some of my guns to buy a S&W 327 TRR8...an 8-shot 357 with a 5" barrel.

I'm not going to be able to reload for a bit and want some recomendations on factory ammo. I just bought 500 rounds of 38 +p 125g sjhp Remington for my incoming LCR and could also shoot that in the 357, but I was looking for some affordable 357 for paper punching that might have a little more kick than the hot 38 loads. I was thinking of something in the 158g range.

Any recommendations?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Factory 357 ammo...recomendations

I have also used Blazer. Just about any 158 gr magnum will be okay for occasional grins. If you want to make an impression get some 124 gr magnum . It is louder and more flash. Get some Buffalo Bore for the real chest thumper.

Any ammo you buy get brass cases so you can save them for reloading later.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:I have also used Blazer. Just about any 158 gr magnum will be okay for occasional grins. If you want to make an impression get some 124 gr magnum . It is louder and more flash. Get some Buffalo Bore for the real chest thumper.

Any ammo you buy get brass cases so you can save them for reloading later.
The steel/aluminum cased Blazer has always been horribly dirty and pretty much intolerable at indoor ranges. While cheap for sure, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks a box for brass cased. That...and the aforementioned reloadability. Not quite there yet, but I will have a ton of spent casings when I do.
LGC Texas - Vice President

senorgrand wrote:
Bucolic wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:Federal (American Eagle) .357 JSP has always been a great factory load. Clean burning with a lot of kick for 158gr.

Agree on this although I have limited experience. Nice recoil and chest thumping percussion.
Sounds like just what I'm looking for!
Late to this discussion, but this is what I use, too. It's a nice balance of accuracy, price, and .357 effect. I've never had any issues. I blind load my 3" SP101 with this and generic .38 Special so I never know what's coming next. Keeps me focused. I can only take about 15 rounds of that business before my wrists suggest either moving to the GP100 or sticking solely with .38 Special in the SP.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

LAXammo has decent prices; I just paid $77.50 for 250 rounds of 158 gr; includes the plastic container. Shipping is cheap - $12.53 for me - yours would probably be about the same. Also, I waited for a free shipping sale, which kept the price at 31 cents per round. Get on their mailing list, and they'll send you their sale spam.

I tried Freedom Munitions, but it took them forever to process orders. I canceled and went to LAX. About 5 days later, the ammo was at my door.

Edit Sep 6 2016 - It's down to $72.50 now
Last edited by Aztex999 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

Way late to the party, but I get .357 by the box and still pay less than some of the bulk deals on other good brass-case ammo.

For the levergun, I get Prvi Partizan 158-gr. SJHP's. They have a lot of kick out of a revolver. And at least in the rifle (I'm a terrible shot with revolvers), they act like a laser beam. Brick-and-mortar stores in my area carry it for $21.99 per 50, and I've seen it $19.99 or less online.

In my SP101, I generally use something a good deal more controllable: Sellier & Bellot 158-gr. FMJ. It's 24.99 per 50 at the store nearest me.
I carry for Kitty Genovese.

WilsonLNU wrote:Way late to the party, but I get .357 by the box and still pay less than some of the bulk deals on other good brass-case ammo.

For the levergun, I get Prvi Partizan 158-gr. SJHP's. They have a lot of kick out of a revolver. And at least in the rifle (I'm a terrible shot with revolvers), they act like a laser beam. Brick-and-mortar stores in my area carry it for $21.99 per 50, and I've seen it $19.99 or less online.

In my SP101, I generally use something a good deal more controllable: Sellier & Bellot 158-gr. FMJ. It's 24.99 per 50 at the store nearest me.
Thanks for the tip! I will get some of that.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

WilsonLNU wrote:
inomaha wrote:Has anyone tried Perfecta?
Haven't seen their .357, but the 9mm is reliable and accurate, if on the weak side.
Wow, Perfecta in .357? At Wally World where you are? Never seen it around these parts but I'd love to try some of that brass cased ammo at that price.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Insanely late to the party, these are an extra dime or so per round (in 100 pack) and even juicier.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/357-magnu ... gas-check/

One reviewer claimed chrono confirmation. I haven't tried them, but I've chronoed two Underwood 10 mm loads and got advertised velocity from the 180 XTP and quite a bit low from the 200 gr lead.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.