.22LR ammo in K22

Last weekend I tried to begin my day with another .22 ammo comparison using my revolver. I forgot to replenish my rimfire ammo bag, so I was too low on one brand to shoot at all, and needed to cut back to only a dozen rounds of some others. I got off to a rocky start and did not shoot my best, even off a rest (see the top row of targets; I may have been settling down *some* with the CCI SV on the lower left), so this would have been mostly useless, but one group was interesting. The lower right target is Aguila SuperExtra HV (yellow and orange box), which I was able to pick up almost a brick of locally a few months ago. For me, that's not too bad if you ignore that one low hole. I haven't chronoed it yet from the MkII, but from the 6" revolver I get only about 930 fps, barely 30 fps more than some cheap SV ammo I chronoed the same day.

So, that stuff may be pretty mild for a "high velocity" .22, but it seems well behaved. It's out of stock, but Midway is quoting 8 cents/round. If they get some in, that would seem like an excellent value by current standards. I'd say the same of the SuperExtra SV in the yellow and blue box, which I burned a couple bricks of last year. YMMV, of course. I'll buy a few bricks of either if I get the chance.

IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: .22LR ammo in K22

The first thing I realized when I got a suppressor is that no high speed .22 LR is at the speed of sound out of a handgun. I had stockpile a bunch of subsonic ammo the only advantage of which was that I would have to live another 75 years to start worrying about the .22 shortage.

Re: .22LR ammo in K22

That must be true for any REASONABLE handgun. From my MkII, Federal bulk pack gives about half the rounds over 1125 fps. CCI Blazer and Fed Automatch give about 1 in 5 that might flirt with giving a crack. But that's from a 10" barrel that milks out an extra 100 fps over my 6" revolver. It's practically a carbine with a stock deficiency. A bit foolish-looking, but fun to shoot!
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.