Re: PPU Handgun ammo

Oh, yeah. Excellent ammo, made in Serbia. They still load a number of obscure calibers and are generally quite good cost wise.

If you reload their brass is excellent as well.

I've shot a fair bit of their 7.62 Mauser, 9mm, 7x57 Mauser, 30-30, 38 special and. 32 ACP. I need to try their 357 magnum in my Rossi 92.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I use their products. They make both handgun and rifle ammo. They produce odd calibers others don't or only a few do. It's very good ammo.

I use the PPU Nagant 7.62x39, PPU 7.62x54R FMJBT 182gr and I've used their .32ACP. I'd buy any of their makings.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

My only gripe with it is on the reloading side- although the brass is pretty good, the primer pocket depth is a bit inconsistent in the 7.62x54R- But it shoots well, I've used both pistol and rifle rounds from them.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

This is my issue- doesn't happen to me on any other brand of brass- but totally not related to just shooting their off the shelf ammo. I've tossed a bunch of cases because of it.
IMG_20161022_090158155.jpg
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:This is my issue- doesn't happen to me on any other brand of brass- but totally not related to just shooting their off the shelf ammo. I've tossed a bunch of cases because of it.
IMG_20161022_090158155.jpg
Wonder if it's just on the 7.62x54R, like a machine that happened to be out of adjustment. Did you get all yours at the same time or could they have been from different batches?

I have 100 each of 7.92x57, 7.7x58 and 7.35x51 from Prvi (bought as virgin brass) and never had that issue, they all been very consistent.

I'll be purchasing some 8x56R soon so I'll keep an eye out.

Bought a box of their 10 mm 180 gr FMJ ammo when I got my first 10 mm. By the numbers, it is just .40 S&W Long, not a "real" 10 mm spec.

Haven't noticed any problems with the brass, except once I had a PPU case with very poor neck tension after reloading. I think that was a one-time problem, which I couldn't figure out.

PPU cases are the only range pick-up 10 mm I ever see. I try to keep them sorted away from my Starline brass, but I'm not religious about it.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

7.62x39 flies at least 35 feet out of my relatively new mini 30 tactical Russian poly steel about 25' I haven't tried lacquered but I don't won't to gum up the works . The 30.06 and 30 carbine are good too. I'm glad to here people like the PPU pistol ammo as I'm about to order .32, .380 and 38. When center fire got so hard to find a while back I got some Mexican Aquila in .45 and 30 carbine . Their quality control was so bad 30% of every box was dented and about 15% were so badly kinked that I don't think they would chamber and if they did I don't won't ruptured cases in my guns. If quality control is that bad I had to worry about the powder charges too. So I'm stuck with a 100 rounds of each caliber that Sportsmans Guide won't take back. I'd never bought it before and I'll never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marlene wrote:it deprimed fine, which made the difficult/ugly primer seating even more confusing and frustrating
Is there a procedure available? These seat about 2/3 then crush, said the thread hijacker.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:
Marlene wrote:it deprimed fine, which made the difficult/ugly primer seating even more confusing and frustrating
Is there a procedure available? These seat about 2/3 then crush, said the thread hijacker.
Swagging the primer pocket to remove the crimp..I understand that there are tools available for this chore.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

There are reamers that remove the crimp too. I got them mostly in with only a little bit of crushing by way of gentle wrestling. It was mixed brass on a progressive, so I fought with them longer than I should have.

It was .38, so I just chucked them. After that I still have enough .38 to use as aggregate next time I need to do foundation work.

rascally wrote:
Simmer down wrote:
Swagging the primer pocket to remove the crimp..I understand that there are tools available for this chore.
I reload military brass for 5.56 and 7.62 and use the RCBS swage tool. I use it on a single-stage press, but it's supposed to work on turrets as well. $29 at Midway on sale.

ads.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-p ... er-combo-2