Re: Remington 12A pump .22

inomaha wrote:Here's the stock. I'm attempting to put it back together now. I'd skip it if it was a shotgun or higher powered rifle, but it should hold up with the low power of a .22lr.
20150207_160645_resized.jpg
It needs some more dry time before I can finish the last couple of small pieces and take some photos. It's actually piecing together nicely. The epoxy is stonger than the wood, so I spent more time looking for cracks and making the jig-saw puzzle out of it. :D

I may have one of those for a Rem 12. let me check. it could be down at my dads still too. if I do, you can have it..
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

here is mine, up under my marlin and AK at the top. its been in my family since it was new, and my gramps gave it to me back in 1975. Its had 3 barrels shot out of it over its lifetime as my dad, my uncles, and myself have all learned to shoot on it, and it was the gun of choice for rabbit and squirrel hunting through the depression and afterwards.

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

inomaha wrote:Did you replace the barrel or line it? I'm thinking of teaching myself how to line it and an Ithaca 49 single shot my dad owns.

My dad replaced the last barrel. Before that it was my gramsp who replaced them. It originally had an octagon barrel.

Ive resleeved a couple 22s. its pretty easy. insert, loctite or epoxy, drill and the right drill bit. Clamp it down good and drill straight. my drill has a built in level, and I use a magnetic level on the barrel to get it level in the vise. Go slow on the drilling. the rest is fit and finish.

and make sure to order the right twist rate for the insert.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Overall, I think I can live with it. It shouldn't come apart and doesn't look too bad. I had to file and sand about 1/4 inch off the butt to get it straight again. So I'm making a butt plate out of an old hard plastic shotgun butt plate I had lying around. A reproduction Remington plate would be too big and too fancy to file down to fit. My custom butt plate is thick enough to add back some of the length. Next up, barrel drilling.
20150212_200724_resized.jpg
20150212_200717_resized.jpg
20150212_200748_resized.jpg
Brian

Just a little progress last week. I finished the wood and the butplate. I need to push it on straight next time before I tighten it down.
20150220_185952_resized.jpg
20150220_185844_resized.jpg
On Sunday I went to the farm and we welded a 5/16" drill bit to a 3 foot piece of 5/16" rod. Now I can cut it to the length I want and drill away. I'll work on making it a pilot drill center it down the existing rifling or I'll skip that and come up with a jig I can use if I run across another barrel that needs similar work in the future. I'm leaning towards the jig because I can use it for other things. I think I have some a broken go-kart axle laying around that might work if it's still straight.

This could be moved to the new rimfire section.
Brian

I've been looking around for relining tools, liners, etc, but I ran into this online and decided if I needed to take it apart to line the barrel, why not just rebarrel it. This is a brand new never installed Remington 12 barrel for the same price as installing a decent liner.

I'll take some better pictures as I start working but the barrel on the gun will swallow an entire .22 shell at the muzzle end and this one just 1/2 the bullet.
Brian

My homemade barrel vise won't budge it. I couldn't get the front sight out or the tube support on the bottom. I broke it when I missed with the persuader. So I'll need to buy both of those pieces. I forgot how much rust I worked off of this until I got the rear sight support to move. The rest were basically brazed on and took a good punch to break free. They aren't supposed to be that connected.

Anyone have recommendations on a barrel vise/wrench. I may need to check the local gunsmith to make sure I don't bend the reciever trying to break it free.
Brian

Thank you PB Blaster. It worked itself in, and after 4 hours of letting it soak, I was able to get the barrel to come off. I probably could have saved the tube support/magazine band had I been soaking everything in that for days before I started barrel disassembly. I've already started sourcing the final misc parts (magazine band, front sight, foreend handguard screw)

I'll probably replace the front sight with one of these to make it easier for old people to see.

This is the guy I hit with the hammer on accident. If you notice, the base is rounded and all you're supposed to do to get it off is rotate it. Mine was rust welded in.

The next step is cold bluing everything to match the barrel finish before I put the barrel and receiver back together.

I'm thinking of trying Shooter's Solution as a cold blue. https://www.shootersolutions.com/
Brian