Re: Rimfire!

Bucolic wrote:The Victor Titan has gravitas; floats your barrel naturally; and has multiple sling studs, etc. It now comes in three colors. I have two and am delighted with them. Very stiff and secure. Good texturing.
Thanks - I'll go peek.

Is that what Boyd is wearing?
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Bucolic wrote:Yep. Boyd wears a Titan as does my wife's Sleek Black Beauty.

Sweet... Can you do me a huge favour? Is there any way to measure the actual width of the barrel channel? Mine has one of the crooked receivers, and the barrel just-about-but-not-quite hits the left-hand side of the Hogue's channel (I'll try to get a pic later today) so I would worry if there isn't enough space. I know I should just replace the receiver, but she shoots so well... :)

Okay, I measured it at a couple places along the barrels but I did not remove the actions because I have everything torqued the way I like it. The scopes get in the way a bit. Here's the scoop

Sleek Black Beauty (from the first production run of Titans) = 1.025 in.
Boyd's Revenge (from the second production run of Titans) = 1.075 in.

The mold was redesigned a bit between the two production runs so I believe the difference is real and the newer ones are a bit wider. I also measured my old Hogue over molded stock that came from a VLEH model just like yours and it is definitely narrower at about 0.950 in.

Hope this helps

Bucolic wrote:Okay, I measured it at a couple places along the barrels but I did not remove the actions because I have everything torqued the way I like it. The scopes get in the way a bit. Here's the scoop

Sleek Black Beauty (from the first production run of Titans) = 1.025 in.
Boyd's Revenge (from the second production run of Titans) = 1.075 in.

The mold was redesigned a bit between the two production runs so I believe the difference is real and the newer ones are a bit wider. I also measured my old Hogue over molded stock that came from a VLEH model just like yours and it is definitely narrower at about 0.950 in.

Hope this helps
MANY thanks! Helps greatly, since the Titan is wider than the Hogue I shouldn't have any troubles there. :)

Now, how to slip that one past the wife....

By the way, I was rally stoopid to sell the barrel from my VLEH. It shot really well and I am not surprised that yours does too. I do love my Kidd barrels and they all are great performers but the 16.125 inch hammer forged Ruger barrel is a fine shooter and really looks good.

Glad the BX-2 trigger works so well.

Oh yeah, keep your Hogue. Put a lightweight barrel on your crooked receiver - lots of choices including carbon fiber, but I like the Kidd ultralight. Get your original trigger worked on - you can get it down to 2.5 pounds. Buy a bolt, etc. and a Kidd receiver for your heavy barreled rifle. You can build a really fast-pointing, fun rifle that will weigh in at less than 4.5 pounds with that stock. Add a red dot and shoot the crap out of things.

Sorry to be so good at spending other people's money...

Bucolic wrote:By the way, I was rally stoopid to sell the barrel from my VLEH. It shot really well and I am not surprised that yours does too. I do love my Kidd barrels and they all are great performers but the 16.125 inch hammer forged Ruger barrel is a fine shooter and really looks good.

Glad the BX-2 trigger works so well.

Oh yeah, keep your Hogue. Put a lightweight barrel on your crooked receiver - lots of choices including carbon fiber, but I like the Kidd ultralight. Get your original trigger worked on - you can get it down to 2.5 pounds. Buy a bolt, etc. and a Kidd receiver for your heavy barreled rifle. You can build a really fast-pointing, fun rifle that will weigh in at less than 4.5 pounds with that stock. Add a red dot and shoot the crap out of things.

Sorry to be so good at spending other people's money...
Pusher... :P

But you're pushing in the right direction. Christmas is coming... :)

GravyBoat wrote:Needs moar tacticool

Blech! No can do. :)

I'm just not an EBR kinda guy - more walnut and blue here. I appreciate the appeal, but at 60 I'm just plain into looks from my youth.

Does anyone have any information or opinion on the .17hmr? I read some good things about the balusters of the round.
A buddy bought a Savage A17, in 17hmr, but he's had some feeding issues. ...but the groupings are great.

So - off the topic of 10/22s, but still a Ruger. Was exercising the Single-Six today at 25 yards, since it is always nice to challenge the 4.6" barrel.

With the red-dot on it, double-handed, I was happy to see all 25 shots landed on the target (a 10.5" x 10.5" "repair center" for the NRA B-8 target). Passed it through onTarget to see where the centre-point is so I can adjust the sights using more than guesswork, and it tells me that I shot a 33.8 MOA string.... (Pic below)

Didn't sound good until I looked at the numbers and noticed the group was able to fit on a 7.5 x 7.5 inch square, flyers included.

So I'm happy today. I'll remove the fliers and get a solid centre for adjustment, and try again next week. Next goal is a 6x6" group, fliers included.

Single-handed shooting? Tried it - no comments I care to make. :)

Not bad, Sail. Does that software run on a Mac?

I shot the November bullseye match a week ago and I sucked. As penance, I took apart all my mags and cleaned them thoroughly. Launched a spring across the basement, directly into the cat's litter box. Nuthin but net...

Bucolic wrote:Not bad, Sail. Does that software run on a Mac?

I shot the November bullseye match a week ago and I sucked. As penance, I took apart all my mags and cleaned them thoroughly. Launched a spring across the basement, directly into the cat's litter box. Nuthin but net...
Thanks!

From thier FAQ page (ontargetshooting.com):
onTarget wrote:"Which operating systems will OnTarget work with?

OnTarget v2.10 has been tested in Windows 2000, XP sp3, Vista, Win 7, and Win 8. Contact the webmaster if you are interested in running OnTarget under Linux. For Mac OS user it is recommended you install the OnTarget program in a virtual machine with a Windows OS installation. Mac OS users running Windows virtual machines in Parallels and VMware are successfully running the latest versions of the OnTarget program."
Sorry about that spring - Murphy's Law at its finest. :)

And so I shot the other handgun this week - SR22, box stock, open sights, but great fun. I managed to coax the range out of a box of Mini-Mags from Private Stock, so I wouldn't have to deal with misfires.

Target here:

Only 35 out of 40 on there, if you count the two that just barely clipped the lower edge. But amazingly, the width of the "group" is about the same as with the red-dot equipped SingleSix even if the barrel is only 3.5", just over an inch shorter. Definitely going to have to work with both of these this winter - I still love my rifles, but am very glad I took up these little guys, too. :)

Rimfire!

They look like a lot of fun and maybe a decent hiking carry.

I decided to swap out the volquartsen trigger blade on my 2245 with one of these:
https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Tri ... p_197.html#

I was skeptical but I have to say I like it. Adjusted it down to about two mm of over travel and maybe 3-4 mm of pre travel. Reset is just about a mm. I may need to back these off a bit after shooting it some. Pull is an honest 1.5 pounds measured near the bottom of the blade. I do like the checkered face of the blade.

Here's a picture:

Bucolic wrote:They look like a lot of fun and maybe a decent hiking carry.

I decided to swap out the volquartsen trigger blade on my 2245 with one of these:
https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Tri ... p_197.html#

I was skeptical but I have to say I like it. Adjusted it down to about two mm of over travel and maybe 3-4 mm of pre travel. Reset is just about a mm. I may need to back these off a bit after shooting it some. Pull is an honest 1.5 pounds measured near the bottom of the blade. I do like the checkered face of the blade.

Here's a picture:

Looks effective and efficient (which is high praise from here) I'll be curious to see how it feels in a few weeks. As in, does it get almost too light for a semi-auto.

I still miss my 22/45, until it's time to clean the SR22, and I realise how much easier it is... :)

Took the little Beretta 87 out for its first range visit today. Fixed (and staked) sights, so no adjustments and she shoots a little low-right. By the time I got to the last 50 rounds or so I was getting the hang of it. :)

That thing is just a joy to shoot.

EDIT: This is a 7-yard target. The 25 yard showed 14 out of 19 rounds hit the 11 x 11 paper, but was boring....