CZ 455 Ultra Lux first out range review!

This past January I bought a CZ 455 Ultra Lux .22LR. It's a long rifle with a 28.6" barrel. The full specs is added below. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take her out to the range until this past Saturday. I'm extremely pleased with the rifle. The long sight radius is the same as my Finnish Mosin Nagant M39 and that was the main reason for purchasing this model of CZ 455. The trigger has a nice clean break and is similar by my sense to the M39 in this respect as well. Although the trigger is adjustable at this time I don't believe I will do any changes to the factory setting. It was good enough on Saturday. I'm posting a set of 13 pictures to give an idea of the appearance of the rifle and the general type and configuration of the mechanism. Since it was her maiden day outing I was pleased to allow all my fellow mates to have go. A few even participated in the "fly shoot" with her! :bananadance:

CZ 455 Ultra Lux spec:
Firearm type - rifle
Chambering - .22LR
Rate of twist - 1:16in
Magazine capacity - 10 rounds
Magazine type - detachable
Stock - beechwood
Length of pull - 13.74in
Sights - tangent adjustable rear sight
Barrel - cold hammer forged
Barrel length - 28.62in
Overall length - 46.42"
Weight - 6.8lbs
Trigger mechanism - adjustable
Safety - two-position

The stock and barrel can be swapped out to fit caliber and outing requirements. I have not found that a 28.62in barrel is available in .17 HMR but shorter barrels are available. Changing out and swapping the barrel and magazine is all that is required to change calibers. I don't really plan to take up on that option. The stock can be switched out to other models or an aftermarket stock. Klinsky makes a nice target stock for CZs including the CZ 455.
http://www.klinsky.cz/stranky/301.php
Several vendors provide aftermarket trigger guards for the CZ 455. DIP Inc has this one.
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.asp ... 2&CAT=3600
And this one from Muscrat Custom.
http://muscratcustom.com/custom/parts_cz_guard.php
The original is a bit flimsy. However after shooting her and seeing her overall appearance I'm in no hurry to replace parts. I will keep the idea of a target stock and the trigger guard in mind for later. Right now my main interest will be to shoot and have fun. I'm pleased.

<edit> added info

So here is the first set:
Last edited by sikacz on Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
CZ 455 Ultra Lux 01.JPG
CZ 455 Ultra Lux 02.JPG
CZ 455 Ultra Lux 03.JPG

Re: CZ 455 Ultra Lux first out range review!

And the last set five:
Target one was shot by me at 15 yards and 20 rounds. Some went through the big hole! :love: The flyer is a larger caliber... :whistle:
Target two was shot by Catalyst. The distance, ammo SK Standard Plus, and the shooter were the same. The left was shot with a Ruger 10/22 and the right with the CZ 455 Ultra Lux.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
CZ Target 1.JPG
CZ Target 2.JPG

I used a variety of ammo from CCI Quiet-22, CCI Standard Velocity, Federal Premium HV Match, American Eagle High Velocity HP, and SK Standard Plus. I used the SK for my target one and I believe Catalyst also used it in his comparison test and the competition. All ammo shot without issue. The Quiet is 710fps and shot a bit lower at 50 yards and the high velocity was slightly higher to aim point. Now for more practice!

Bucolic wrote:I found that the bolt on my 453 was a little stiff at first but it smoothed out with use and is now silky.
I think any stiffness on mine is working out. Actually after cleaning her I was checking the bolt action and holding with a left hand grip I could work it with my thumb.

Nice review and worth the wait! Want. No.... Need! :) I like how it's already gone ahead and placed in the postal matches. I also like the comparo-shoot with the 10/22.

My pocketbook was hoping it would suck a little more than it seems to, but it doesn't appear to have any suck about it. ;) It's a real beauty. Interesting about the Mosin Nagant M39 dimensions.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote:Nice review and worth the wait! Want. No.... Need! :) I like how it's already gone ahead and placed in the postal matches. I also like the comparo-shoot with the 10/22.

My pocketbook was hoping it would suck a little more than it seems to, but it doesn't appear to have any suck about it. ;) It's a real beauty. Interesting about the Mosin Nagant M39 dimensions.
Added some info links and spec in the OP.

The Mosin-Nagant M39 is a bit heavier but that's about it. Later on in the year I plan to take both along on an outing. I'll start off shooting the CZ and then do a box with M39. I can get a hundred rounds or more of high quality .22LR target ammo for the price of one box of PPU 7.62x54R. That is really a big savings.

sikacz wrote:And the last set five:
Target one was shot by me at 15 yards and 20 rounds. Some went through the big hole! :love: The flyer is a larger caliber... :whistle:
Target two was shot by Catalyst. The distance, ammo SK Standard Plus, and the shooter were the same. The left was shot with a Ruger 10/22 and the right with the CZ 455 Ultra Lux.
I will add that the Ruger 10/22 vs CZ455 was shot at 25 yards...in very windy conditions using iron sights. As you can see...that CZ is a straight shooter all the way.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Catalyst wrote:
I will add that the Ruger 10/22 vs CZ455 was shot at 25 yards...in very windy conditions using iron sights. As you can see...that CZ is a straight shooter all the way.
Any spec info on the Ruger 10/22? Factory standard? Model?

sikacz wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Any spec info on the Ruger 10/22? Factory standard? Model?
The Ruger I was shooting as far as I know (not original owner) has a standard barrel length and original barrel and that is it. The stock came with it and I installed the Tech Sights and the Bipod.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

sikacz wrote:Here's a better side by side view of the CZ 455 Ultra Lux and the Finnish Mosin-Nagant M39.
Boy, you weren't kidding about the CZ having the same set-up as the Mosin! Same hogs-back comb and sight radius.

Maybe we can get you down to the Juliff range sometime so we can do a side-by-side at 100 yards.

:thumbup:
Allen Corneau

"Internet anonymity is over-rated."

acorneau wrote:
sikacz wrote:Here's a better side by side view of the CZ 455 Ultra Lux and the Finnish Mosin-Nagant M39.
Boy, you weren't kidding about the CZ having the same set-up as the Mosin! Same hogs-back comb and sight radius.

Maybe we can get you down to the Juliff range sometime so we can do a side-by-side at 100 yards.

:thumbup:
Absolutely, great idea! :beer2:

Very nice! I have a CZ 452 "military trainer" and I would have gotten the 455 for the replaceable barrels, but I found the 452 for a good price at a local ACE Hardware of all places.

My 452 does best with SK, Wolf, and CCI standard velocity. It also does fairly well with bulk Remington and Winchester. I need to stock up on .22lr so I can shoot it more, but .22lr availability is still low in my area.

Dresden wrote:Very nice! I have a CZ 452 "military trainer" and I would have gotten the 455 for the replaceable barrels, but I found the 452 for a good price at a local ACE Hardware of all places.

My 452 does best with SK, Wolf, and CCI standard velocity. It also does fairly well with bulk Remington and Winchester. I need to stock up on .22lr so I can shoot it more, but .22lr availability is still low in my area.
Cool! I like the spec on the trainers. Glad to hear yours is a fine rifle. I might get one one day. I'm secretly hoping they'd do a lefty.

Had a bit of a swivel problem. I ordered a European style swivel from CZ thinking it should fit on the Ultra Lux. Nope. So a bit of searching online and a visit to the Houston area Cabela's and I found a solution. It's a GrovTec GTSW-01 GT Locking Swivel.
http://www.grovtec.com/catalog/gt-swive ... sw-01-223/
An added bonus is that it's made in the USA! And no modification was necessary to the swivel stud.

Attachments
Swivel01R.JPG
Swivel02R.JPG

Dresden wrote:Don't know why they put such small sling swivels on them. I just use an old PPSH-41 sling on mine.
The 5/16" between is good with the US manufacturers like GrovTec. The 1-1/4" sling one would have worked too, but since I'm going to use a Finnish Mosin sling it's about 1". And I can later get a nice new 1" sling. I don't need comfort.