Bargain 10/22

My only cheap, used .22 rifle has a serious problem with reliable feeding, and I don't feel like trying to fix it. I've been tempted by a 10/22 Takedown for a long time, although carrying it discretely into the woods in a backpack is probably more hypothetical than something I would actually do. At least I could carry it more discretely to my car on the way to the range than a regular long gun.

Davidson's has a bunch of 10/22 Takedowns with a weirdly colored stock for around $270 delivered to my semi-nearest FFL. That seems cheap for a 10/22. Maybe Ruger regrets making this Mica Bronze run of stocks?

I assume the Takedown version isn't compatible with most of the usual 10/22 Lego, so maybe it would REMAIN a bargain instead of sprouting a bunch of aftermarket stocks, barrels, etc. I wouldn't mind if it could host a Volquartsen trigger kit, but that is neither here nor there, since I have no real need or ability to try to turn it into a target gun.

Discuss!
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: Bargain 10/22

There's a decent aftermarket for the takedown model, here are just a few bits and pieces.

If memory serves correctly the bolt, trigger group, etc. are all the same as in the non-takedown version so you can still get away with quite a bit. You may not be able to do absolutely everything you've ever dreamed of with a takedown 10/22 instead of a standard one but you should be able to get awfully close.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail

Bacchus wrote:Do it! Those take-down 10/22s look pretty sweet. All that 10/22 goodness in a take-down, plus a decent bag for it? Seems like a winner to me.
Love my 10/22 takedown. If it's with the standard takedown bag, you're getting quite a good deal at $270.
LGC Texas - Vice President

zzrguy wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Buy it!
His wisdom and wording as well as clarity of thought is spot on. Buy it!

Just curious what 22 so you own that is given you a issue.
Marlin model 60. It seems to be more Bubba'ed up than I realized when I bought it.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: I wouldn't mind if it could host a Volquartsen trigger kit, but that is neither here nor there, since I have no real need or ability to try to turn it into a target gun.

Discuss!
Ruger makes a drop-in trigger assembly that reduces pull to about 2.75 lbs. I installed one in one of my 10/22s and it really makes a difference. CDNN has them for $59.88. Takes about 15 minutes to install.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-10-22 ... eoxVeSWzmQ
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez

atxgunguy wrote:
Bacchus wrote:Do it! Those take-down 10/22s look pretty sweet. All that 10/22 goodness in a take-down, plus a decent bag for it? Seems like a winner to me.
Love my 10/22 takedown. If it's with the standard takedown bag, you're getting quite a good deal at $270.
Two thoughts on this; 1- the bag is nice, BUT, its a really tight fit on a scoped rifle, depending on the length of the Eye piece and where you sit it in the rings.
2- depending on what you’re using it for, you may wish to consider a new Henry AR-7. I spent a week toting the 10/22TD along with my backpack and fishing rod in the north GA mountains, and it was all a bit bulky and heavy. Wish I would’ve had the AR-7 instead.

If you’re just doing basic (car-based) camping/hiking/hunting, the TD is the jam, but if you go full on walkabout, the AR-7 might be better for bulk and weight.
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

321FLSurfer wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:
Two thoughts on this; 1- the bag is nice, BUT, its a really tight fit on a scoped rifle, depending on the length of the Eye piece and where you sit it in the rings.
2- depending on what you’re using it for, you may wish to consider a new Henry AR-7. I spent a week toting the 10/22TD along with my backpack and fishing rod in the north GA mountains, and it was all a bit bulky and heavy. Wish I would’ve had the AR-7 instead.

If you’re just doing basic (car-based) camping/hiking/hunting, the TD is the jam, but if you go full on walkabout, the AR-7 might be better for bulk and weight.
For maximum (or minimum?) weight/bulk efficiency I would also look at the Marlin 70P Papoose (or 70PSS), which I think is superior to the Henry AR7. The action is based on the Marlin 60. The 70PSS model is especially appealing as the barrel is stainless, and the hollow polymer stock can be stuffed with goodies. (like waterproof matches, etc.)

Of course the right thing to do would be to get all three. You know, for evaluation purposes. ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote: For maximum (or minimum?) weight/bulk efficiency I would also look at the Marlin 70P Papoose (or 70PSS), which I think is superior to the Henry AR7. The action is based on the Marlin 60. The 70PSS model is especially appealing as the barrel is stainless, and the hollow polymer stock can be stuffed with goodies. (like waterproof matches, etc.)

Of course the right thing to do would be to get all three. You know, for evaluation purposes. ;)
Definitely get all three. The only advantage I see in the Henry over the marlin is price tag and that the barrel, action, mag, everything stores inside the stock in the Henry, so it saves space over the other two that have bags. But based on OPs described use case, probably the TD.
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

Buck13 wrote: Marlin model 60. It seems to be more Bubba'ed up than I realized when I bought it.
HUH they are a pretty simple gun I've owned a couple over the years if you where closer I take a look at it for you I have a knack for fixing the I'm fixable.

Do you have a ultrasonic cleaner. I've dropped the bolt in one and it really clean what I would have thought was clean already. I've also soaked the barreled receiver with Kroil and PB Blaster overnight and that seem to get the stuff you just never seem to be able to get out. One last thing I've heard done to them is taken a drill and brass bore brush and clean the chamber real well that seemed to fix my friend feeding amd extractoin issues.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

Buck13 wrote:
zzrguy wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Buy it!
His wisdom and wording as well as clarity of thought is spot on. Buy it!

Just curious what 22 so you own that is given you a issue.
Marlin model 60. It seems to be more Bubba'ed up than I realized when I bought it.
Buck - check the barrel to receiver angle on the Marlin, especially if it's a somewhat newer 'RemLin'. Remington had a real problem pressing barrels straight into receivers across a number of models after they moved the factory south. My 795 (magazine fed 60, basically) had almost as many light primer strikes and stovepipe jams as successful shots regardless of ammo. There wasn't enough available travel on a Tech Sight to zero the gun. It took two tries (first to a contract repair place in Oklahoma that couldn't replace the barrel or receiver, then to Remington back East) but Remington replaced the rifle. ('Bent' gun serial: MM32...K; replacement MM03...Q)

That barrel to receiver angle thing isn’t only applicable to remlin made model 60s. I have an early 90s one that needed a 25 moa pic rail to zero a scope at 50 yards. That same gun is utterly reliable with cci minimags but can’t get through a magazine of anything else without a failure to eject.
Buy the takedown!

I own a takedown model and thought for the longest time about how a scope mounted on the receiver can possibly stay zero on a barrel that come on and off. There is a bushing that tightens the barrel so far as that's concerned but that set up is a 100yard gun IMHO. Dunno... does anyone have experience with scoping a takedown 10/22 and shooting long distances? I'm happy with my takedown 10/22 with just fiber optic front and rear sights.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:I own a takedown model and thought for the longest time about how a scope mounted on the receiver can possibly stay zero on a barrel that come on and off. There is a bushing that tightens the barrel so far as that's concerned but that set up is a 100yard gun IMHO. Dunno... does anyone have experience with scoping a takedown 10/22 and shooting long distances? I'm happy with my takedown 10/22 with just fiber optic front and rear sights.
I have a TD and Regular, scopes both of em. The regular is definitely tighter at 100 yds, but even the TD was shooting 3-4 inch groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must admit that the Henry is just so much more "James Bond" than the Ruger. Supposedly, when everything's stored the stock the Henry's stock is water-tight, too.

Meanwhile, I lost some interest in it (but not all) when I got the Kel-Tec Sub-2000, that just folds up and fits easily in my backpack, which isn't even a shooter's bag but is a TravelPro back-pack. I can pack the Kel-Tec, 2 pistols, mags, ammo, goggles and muffs, plus documentation, and the guns can be locked separately from the ammo.

I keep one for just travel that guns and ammo don't get near, and one for the range--because TSA chemically tests bags and you never know when you'll be tested--failing that test could be unpleasant.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I put a cheap 3-9X32 UTG BugBuster compact scope on my 10/22 Takedown Lite, and it was accurate enough to get a Rifleman patch at Appleseed. The project assumes standard production rifle accuracy of 2 MOA, which is half an inch group at 25 meters or 2" at 100m. Properly set up, a bog standard 10/22 will deliver 2 MOA all day long, the same is true for the takedown version.

The key for achieving maximum accuracy is making the barrel-receiver lockup as tight as possible. I dialed the adjustment ring for maximum spacing, which made it impossible for the barrel to turn. Then, I reduced the space one click at a time until it finally locked up.
Glad that federal government is boring again.