favorite .22lr?

I think most most of us have definite opinions about ammunition. What's yours?
My favorite maker is CCI. Even their cheap Blazers are remarkably consistent. My go-to round, to no one's surprise, are 40 gr. Minimags. That's what gives maximum reliability. Still, specific applications have specific favorites.

Mark III, literally anything

Hi Standard Supermatic, very picky gun. Needs HV copper coated, which is unfortunate since it is a very accurate gun and match ammo is rarely copper coated.

Winchester 9422, CCI Standard Velocity works well and is very slightly more accurate than HV.

CZ452fs with tangent sights. At 50 yds. I shoot 3" targets. CCI SV is good. Wolf Extra Match might be a bit better.

CZ453 American Varmint, set trigger, 3-9x40mm scope. I shoot 3" targets at 100 yards. Lately, I've been using HV rounds. CCI Select is a favorite. Also, Aquilla Super Extra and Fed. Gold Medal.

10/22DS with Weaver 2-7x32mm. Pretty reliable even with SV rounds. Still I generally run copper coated HV, especially Minimags, but also Fed. Gameshock, their 36 gr. bulk pack, or Win SuperX.
Yet she persisted.

Re: favorite .22lr?

Hmmm....

Winchester 52B - Eley Target
CZ 455 Varmint - Eley Target or SK/Wolf target stuff
Winchester 1885 - pretty much anything, but Eley Target is available and works well. :)

Handguns:
Beretta 87 - Auto-Match in the 325 pack (525 doesn't hack it)
Ruger Mk IV - CCI SV, or Aquila Super Extra (Yes, it really is called that)
Single-Six - anything that fits in the cylinder goes "Bang!" Winchester M22, the last box I tried before giving the rest away, every third round wouldn't press into a chamber...

That's it for 22LR, I think. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Not terribly picky regarding what my guns take or what I like, but the one I'll never use again is Remington Thunderbolt.

I tend to just buy what is available at BassPro as I earn points and it's only a couple miles from my house.

My usual is:

Federal AutoMatch Target 40 Grain Lead Round Nose
Winchester Super X High-velocity 40 Grain RNCP
Winchester Ammunition 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
Last edited by atxgunguy on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

favorite .22lr?

My Kidd 10/22s shoot CCI SV well, Wolf MT or ME a little better. My 22/45 is also okay with CCI SV. I have to say that I have not experimented a lot. I keep thinking I should buy a couple boxes of Tenex, just to see.

I have not shot my new CZ 452 enough to know. At first blush, it is really accurate with the CCI SV.

I don’t shoot Minimags much anymore. Mostly because I am shooting beyond 75 yards and want to avoid the sonic transition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marlene wrote:
SailDesign wrote:
Marlene wrote:Usually cci or eley, but I have a gun that shoots best with the winchester cheap stuff.
Would you trade it for one of my fussy ones? :)

(No, not serious ...)
Full disclosure: it’s my 1947 K22 Target Masterpiece.
Hah! My S&W 48 does that, but with 22WMR stuff. WAY more accurate than it should be with a 4" barrel. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

I agree, CCI because it's always available and very reliable in any firearm I've had. Eley is match quality and I'd add Aguila (uses Eley primers). Yes I've heard some guns prefer Remington Thunderbolts, probably the dirtiest ammo I've ever used. I used them once when 22lr ammo was very scarce and it was the only thing I could find.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

SailDesign wrote: Ruger Mk IV - CCI SV, or Aquila Super Extra (Yes, it really is called that)
Single-Six - anything that fits in the cylinder goes "Bang!" )
Aguilla is very consistent. I like them in my CZ rifles. And I've got a Single Six too which is very reliable.
Yet she persisted.

atxgunguy wrote:Not terribly picky regarding what my guns take or what I like, but the one I'll never use again is Remington Thunderbolt.
That stuff is horrible. I bought a bulk pack when .22 was hard to find. It turned my SW 617 into a lead-fouled key-holer after something like 30 rounds. I've never bought Rem. .22 since then.
Last edited by Deep13 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yet she persisted.

Bucolic wrote:I have not shot my new CZ 452 enough to know. At first blush, it is really accurate with the CCI SV.

I don’t shoot Minimags much anymore. Mostly because I am shooting beyond 75 yards and want to avoid the sonic transition.
Yeah, I guess in less than perfect conditions, I'm thinking that the less time the round spends in the air, the less it will be exposed to cross winds or rain to knock it off course. So I've been using Fed. Gold Medal and CCI select HV at 100 yards. But in perfect shooting conditions, I usually go with CCI SV or Wolf Extra Match which give slightly smaller groups. I'm also shooting CZs and the CCI SVs are not lacking.
Yet she persisted.

I spent some time looking into this on the rimfirecentral archive this morning and I must say that I am confused as to the physics. It seems that the empirical evidence is that the slower bullets are affected less than the supersonic ones. This many be due to an increase in drag and turbulence when the bullet goes Subsonic. If that is the case, it should not apply at distance closer than about 75 yards or so.

There is clearly a lot of misinformation and lore out there. I need more caffeine if I am going to sort this out. OTOH, maybe I’ll just watch some ski jumping...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Buck Mark Contour 7.5" I've been using for Bullseye. I've only shot Aguila through it. Being in Chicago it's a bit of a drive to get anywhere that sells ammo without the Cook County damn taxes, so I order bulk delivery and the Aquila is available and cheap. I've been getting the 40gr high velocity copper plated and am very happy with it. Browning only recommends cleaning this gun every 1,000 rounds or so - and while the chamber has needed a scrub, when I ran a patch through the barrel it came out clean.
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

Bucolic wrote:I spent some time looking into this on the rimfirecentral archive this morning and I must say that I am confused as to the physics. It seems that the empirical evidence is that the slower bullets are affected less than the supersonic ones. This many be due to an increase in drag and turbulence when the bullet goes Subsonic. If that is the case, it should not apply at distance closer than about 75 yards or so.

There is clearly a lot of misinformation and lore out there. I need more caffeine if I am going to sort this out. OTOH, maybe I’ll just watch some ski jumping...
I haven't seen a lot of difference at 100 yards off the bench rest with the CZ453 between good HV and SV. If there is any, the inevitable crappy shooting conditions cover it up.
Yet she persisted.

Good stuff here for your plinking needs. I shot a couple of bricks of these about three years ago that I was very happy with for the price point. I hope they haven't gone downhill since they changed to the new box design.
https://www.ammofast.com/collections/22 ... 0-rnd-case

These are not match grade, but decent ammo. Basically Mexican MiniMags.
https://www.ammofast.com/collections/22 ... 0-rnd-case

4.6 or 4.7 cents per round? Two years ago, I'd have ordered so fast my keyboard would have broken. Since I still have 5 or 6 thousand assorted .22LR rounds that I payed much more for, I'll pass for now.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

The latest (cover date April 2018) Shooting Times has an article about Eley .22 ammo. They have some possibly interesting stuff to say about the Eley priming process, and the flat-point bullet profile they use on some of their ammo that is supposed to be beneficial for accuracy.

After extolling the magic of the top-o-the-line Eley Tenex, they didn't shoot any. Maybe the boss balked at the 40 cent per round price. But they did do the next-best Eley Match (about 30 cents), as well as Club, Edge, Subsonic HP and Action, testing each in three different rifles. Amusingly, although the Edge has the awesome flat-point bullet and cheaper Club has a boring old round-nose, Club beat the pants off Edge!

Match narrowly beat Club in 50 yard group size in two rifles, but had almost twice the group size in the third, so on average, Club was the tightest shooting: 0.25" group averaging all three rifles' results vs. 0.28" for Match. The other three all averaged roughly 0.7-0.75" at 50 yards.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Good thread.

I only have two .22 weapons, the 1970 Marlin 80 and the Ruger MKII. They both shoot everything I've tried, but I've not tried everything. They both seem to like Remington golden bullet, golden sabre, one of those names. The Marlin can hit a quarter at 100 meters with those.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Ruger MK II is pretty ammo tolerant
Winchester 52B likes anything Eley but when counts; 10x in the 1040 fps area
452 Ultra Lux likes SK, Loves RWS Rifle Match
455 Varmint- SK Rifle match , Eley edge, Lapua Center X
10/22 (only the receiver at this point) Kidd bolt, trigger and barrel that has been threaded into the receiver- CCI standard, Eley Force for a bit more oomph
I had a 513T that loved Eley target but sadly it had to be sacrificed.