Re: 10/22 Upgrades?

Eris wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm Sounds like you can build a complete rifle from Kidd parts, and looking on their website I see they actually sell their own rifles. Makes me wonder what the point is to buying a Ruger to begin with if what you really want is a Kidd.
When you're done you'll have both?
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail

10/22 Upgrades?

And then you can build another Kidd...

Honestly, there’s probably no compelling reason to buy the receiver (sez the guy with four). The big gains are from the triggers and barrels.

Also, I think there is something like an 10% surcharge on the complete rifles. If you want a Kidd, buy their “barreled action” configured to your spec and buy a stock separately. The surcharge will not apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 am

Then I discovered Kidd triggers. I gave away the Volquartsen and Brimstone triggers. I currently have four single stage Kidd triggers and one two stage. The latter is set to 8oz/8oz and is absolutely sublime but requires scrupulous trigger discipline and is best shot off the bench. The single stages are simply the best rimfire triggers I have encountered. No pre-travel, no creep and the proverbial “break like a glass rod.”

I would be scared to even breathe near an 8oz trigger

shinzen wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:37 am
Marlene wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:53 am Fred’s 10-22 with fluted bull barrel, trigger job, and Tech Sights is my favorite that I’ve ever shot. I forget whose barrel it was, but the fluting was just right for balance without heaviness. Shooting a 6” plate at 100 offhand I was having so much fun that he had a hard time getting it back out of my hands.
Yeah, I keep thinking about getting another 10/22, but I realize that I'd not be happy with it until it was setup like Fred's is. So a $200 purchase turns into a $1000 purchase..... Other priorities....
I don’t think Fred’s setup was that pricey

Back in November I bought a basic 10/22 with the intent of fitting it out for longer-range use. I only made two modifications to it. First, I installed the better Ruger trigger. Next, I dropped the barreled action into a Hogue overmolded stock.

I used the standard 10/22 scope base and fitted an excellent scope. (The scope cost a good bit more than the rifle.) After the annual Winter Deluge began slacking up, I managed to get it up to the range and mostly sighted in. Shooting from a bipod and rear bag, it performed well out to 300 yards.

I may eventually go to a bull barrel (which will necessitate buying another Hogue stock), but so far the performance of the standard barrel has been excellent.

I'd considered that precise build when i bought mine, but I just couldn't resist the Mannlicher stock. Sooooo pretty. Nicely balanced, too. Eventually need to put a scope on it, but I'm working on basic skills at close range first, so I can see the holes.

The overall enthusiasm did help sell the rifle, not gonna lie.