22 cal bolt target rifle--3 choices, opinions please.

I've been getting into distance shooting recently. I saw the Mossberg listed below at my LGS. So it got me to thinking about a nice 22 rimfire rifle. So I did some more looking and found these three. I would love your wisdom, experience, and opinions regarding these guns. I also welcome other suggestions.

Mossberg model 44 US
WW2 milsurp
$300, plus I would have to replace the missing mag ($50)
Has Mossberg dioptic peep sight adjustable for elevation and windage.

CZ 455 Ultra Lux, .22 LR
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-ultra-lux-22-lr/
1:16 twist
28.6"barrel
$409
standard iron sights with sliding adjustment for elevation

French MAS model 45
24 in barrel
nice peep site with sliding adjustment for elevation.
$379
sorry, all the Youtubes were in French, and the ones with translations didn't seem that good.

Thanks in advance for your help.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: 22 cal bolt target rifle--3 choices, opinions please.

SailDesign wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:11 pm I would recommend the 455 Varmint for target work, not the Lux.
First of all, that's a really nice set up on that rifle. Very sharp!

So why do you recommend the Varmint over the Ultra Lux????
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I have a CZ 452 Trainer and I love it too. It has a 24.5 inch barrel which is considerably shorter than the Ultra Lux. I think you get a lot of quality for the price with this easy. It’s quiet enough with subsonic ammo to shoot it with minimal ear protection. The UltraLux would be quieter still and the longer sight radius would improve accuracy.

The UltraLux and the Trainer both have the European stock which, in my opinion, makes them quick to shoulder and easy to pick up the sights. The adjustable tangent sight is a nice feature.

I don’t think you would regret buying any CZ rim fire rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:52 pm I have a CZ 452 Trainer and I love it too. It has a 24.5 inch barrel which is considerably shorter than the Ultra Lux. I think you get a lot of quality for the price with this easy. It’s quiet enough with subsonic ammo to shoot it with minimal ear protection. The UltraLux would be quieter still and the longer sight radius would improve accuracy.

The UltraLux and the Trainer both have the European stock which, in my opinion, makes them quick to shoulder and easy to pick up the sights. The adjustable tangent sight is a nice feature.

I don’t think you would regret buying any CZ rim fire rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seconded. I have a CZ 452 Trainer. Its an excellent rifle. However, given your use case, you may wish to consider a shorter version with a high value rifle scope that is incremented in MILs.

Hiker wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:41 pm
SailDesign wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:11 pm I would recommend the 455 Varmint for target work, not the Lux.
First of all, that's a really nice set up on that rifle. Very sharp!

So why do you recommend the Varmint over the Ultra Lux????
Well, with the expression "target rifle" in mind, the Varmint is more of a heavy-barrel target rifle,while the Lux is more hunting rifle. I have a great respect for the advantages of a heavy barrel for target work - not that a heavy barrel is inherently more accurate per se, but that a heavy barrel provides inertia, so stays on target better - as in "doesn't wobble so much."

I would never get a skinny-barrelled (standard taper) rifle for targets - but that may be just me. The Varmint and my Winchester 52B are both heavy=barreled, and both amazingly accurate.

This beast is also a tack-driver - 204 Ruger No.1 Varmint
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

With a .22 rimfire of decent quality, what is most important is the stock. The feel of the stock. My old Marlin 80 can hit a quarter if I do my part every time from 100 meters. But me and that stock are one.

.22 rimfire is an excellent caliber and many companies make many types of ammo for it. We shoot them to learn how to shoot--without mortgaging the family dog in pursuit of better yet useless skill. Great caliber. It's the stock. Feel them.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Comes down to if you were wanting to shoot with open sights or plan on using glass. The Ultra Lux is a fantastic rifle but only useful if you plan on shooting with its open sights, "classic style," otherwise the luxurious sight radius of that long-long barrel is pretty much wasted. Also, I read somewhere that the .22 bullet starts to slow down before it exits a 18" barrel (!) so a 20" would be more than adequate for any Rimfire target rifle.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:06 am Comes down to if you were wanting to shoot with open sights or plan on using glass. The Ultra Lux is a fantastic rifle but only useful if you plan on shooting with its open sights, "classic style," otherwise the luxurious sight radius of that long-long barrel is pretty much wasted. Also, I read somewhere that the .22 bullet starts to slow down before it exits a 18" barrel (!) so a 20" would be more than adequate for any Rimfire target rifle.
The long barrel does fine. I've even tried the ultra quiet slow .22lr and it made it through the barrel and hit the mark. Won't do it again though, no need. It's pretty quiet with most ammo. The barrel doesn't wobble. Not to any degree that matters. The bullets exit at speeds that are adequate for the job. I might add that catalyst won one the early Club competitions (the fly one) with my Ultra Lux and iron sights. We had a club member at the same time shoot with a CZ with a 24" barrel and with glass and catalyst out shot it. A 28" CZ Ultra Lux will do just fine.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

CDFingers wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 pm With a .22 rimfire of decent quality, what is most important is the stock. The feel of the stock. My old Marlin 80 can hit a quarter if I do my part every time from 100 meters. But me and that stock are one.

.22 rimfire is an excellent caliber and many companies make many types of ammo for it. We shoot them to learn how to shoot--without mortgaging the family dog in pursuit of better yet useless skill. Great caliber. It's the stock. Feel them.

CDFingers
Must be why all of my target-y guns have basically prone stocks. The two above, and the Winchester below. They all fit and feel "just so." :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
_SCB8270_resize.jpg