release
Total votes: 1 (8%)
both
Total votes: 3 (25%)
mostly catch and release
Total votes: 5 (42%)
Total votes: 12

Re: Bass fishing

I leave the fish alone. If I am enjoying a quiet kayak ride, it is my hope that I can see fish below through the clear water. But I have no desire to catch, eat, hook, or count coup by attacking some fish that is minding his own business.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote:I leave the fish alone. If I am enjoying a quiet kayak ride, it is my hope that I can see fish below through the clear water. But I have no desire to catch, eat, hook, or count coup by attacking some fish that is minding his own business.
nothing wrong with that view sometimes ill just sat on the boat and watch the outdoors
Blue Dot Veteran

used to catch and release. brown, blue or red rubber worms. amazing how you can catch and release the same fish again and again, apparently it's too steep a learning curve for them. gave it up when i caught a small bass, couldn't get the hook out, left it in the water to get better tools. when i got back, fish had been swallowed by a water snake. i had to cut them both loose, hook and all. that was enough for me.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I do mostly catch and release because I don't particularly like the taste of fish. A fish fry once a year is plenty for me and I'm not picky if it's bass, bluegill, or catfish.

The pond I bass fish on had been a walk-in secret for years. I used to keep some fish every year to keep them from being stunted. Now the Conservation Dept cleaned it all up and put in a boy scout camping area. I still catch all the fish I want but I toss them all back figuring enough get removed during those events.

If I'm fresh-water fishing, rare these days, I'll catch and release. If saltwater, Striped Bass all get kept if they're legal size. The trick is to find the right lure so that the small ones leave it alone.

Not always possible, so I apologise as best I can when they get released...
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

lurker wrote:used to catch and release. brown, blue or red rubber worms. amazing how you can catch and release the same fish again and again, apparently it's too steep a learning curve for them. gave it up when i caught a small bass, couldn't get the hook out, left it in the water to get better tools. when i got back, fish had been swallowed by a water snake. i had to cut them both loose, hook and all. that was enough for me.
i was fishing a tournament and weighed my fish early since we didn't have much less than 30 minutes later someone caught the fish I had released and weighed it again the same night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blue Dot Veteran

SailDesign wrote:If I'm fresh-water fishing, rare these days, I'll catch and release. If saltwater, Striped Bass all get kept if they're legal size. The trick is to find the right lure so that the small ones leave it alone.

im not against all keeping fish just abide by conservation rules and do not waste resources if a fish is going to dye better to eat and not waste. But if one can be released and protect the species more power to release and let spawn and our money spent on fishing correctly goes to helping the environment and ensuring lasting fish populations

Blue Dot Veteran

bigbass4me wrote:
SailDesign wrote:If I'm fresh-water fishing, rare these days, I'll catch and release. If saltwater, Striped Bass all get kept if they're legal size. The trick is to find the right lure so that the small ones leave it alone.

im not against all keeping fish just abide by conservation rules and do not waste resources if a fish is going to dye better to eat and not waste. But if one can be released and protect the species more power to release and let spawn and our money spent on fishing correctly goes to helping the environment and ensuring lasting fish populations

We keep the strippers coz they're yummy. And freeze quite well

lurker wrote:
SailDesign wrote: We keep the strippers coz they're yummy. And freeze quite well
some strippers may be yummy, but they complain when you stuff them in the freezer. must be the skimpy little outfits.
:ras:

I had 2 "P"...

EDIT: Acksherley, I typed that on my tablet so it's prolly a case of "Damn you, auto-correct!"

Catch only for bass, but they are an introduced species on the Umpqua river and you can't catch enough of them. As an added bonus, it turns out they're pretty tasty too.

I used to fish for trout, but I don't like catch and release because it harms the fish. Better not to catch it in the first place, imho.

Catch and release...unless they looks particularly tasty.
Fillet of Bass, asparagus and veggies on the grill...sorry Charlie, your'e gonna come over for dinner!
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.