Blog Conversation about pocket pistols

Interesting start to a promising series from Lucky Gunner. Quotable: “Carrying a pocket pistol is not a death sentence.”
tacticalprofessor Chris Baker of Lucky Gunner was so kind as to interview me about pocket pistols and their role in Personal Protection at the 2018 Rangemaster Tactical Conference.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cv6PxB2Tq ... ransparent
It was an interesting interview and he makes a number of worthwhile points in the video. View original post 168 more words

Source: https://gunculture2point0.wordpress.com ... t-pistols/

Re: Blog Conversation about pocket pistols

I saw Chris’s video this morning. It was very interesting and I am more seriously considering a pocket pistol for just such occasions when I want to conceal but don’t want a bulky holster.

It’s nice to see some honest discussion about the purpose and tactics of a violent encounter. The point is not to disable but break contact, especially when the one I am protecting is myself. Psychological stopping power is real.

Probably different for home defense.

Good article. Prepare for the most likely occurrence - having a concealed carry license doesn't confer police powers. Every CCW holder is not 6'2" tall and able to easily carry and conceal a 1911, a Glock 17 or even a compact 9 mm. Most small guns are semi-auto fixed barrel blow back design firearms which means more felt recoil vs locked breech. But they are easier to conceal for people with many different body types under different types of clothing.

Chris Baker did a spoof video, "Real Men Don't Carry Pocket Pistols":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLKrkmSToo
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Thanks, I really liked the emphasis on the point that the objective of a concealed carrier is simple to create a break in contact. Of course, in full disclosure, my regular carry pistol is a Kimber Micro 380.

I shoot it enough that reloading 380 makes sense for me. Counting small pistol primer boxes, I shoot 1k/year of the 380. Before someone chimes in with some, "so what, I shoot XK per year." First I will say, that is great, it is great they you are getting practice, and I hope pleasure (or, a more precise term, "utility"), through regular shooting. I only mention the ammo count to address the, "anyone who shoots those pop guns doesn't shoot more than one magazine per year."

I don't feel that the poster above me was being "that person." However, something that was said does not reflect my experience.
Most small guns are semi-auto fixed barrel blow back design firearms which means more felt recoil vs locked breech.
In reality, you have to look to the bottom of the barrel to find a blow-back .380. I am not saying that they don't exist; however, they are not dominant. The video mentioned the Ruger LCP as being one of (they said "the") most popular pistols. The Ruger LCP is not a blow back pistol. Nor are the 380 Government Model based pistols such as the: Colt, Sig, Kimber, and Springfield. Then we can move on the Walther, Browning, Smith & Wesson, and plenty of others. I realize that the, "most small pistols are blow-back," is a common thing for for gun writers to say; but they are sorely behind the times when they say it. I am not going to say that there are no small blow-back pistols; but in the 380, at least, they are either the very bottom end. Or they are the rare exceptions, not the rule.

I find it funny when I see the same publication allowing its writers to say, every time they review a 380, some form of, "unlike most small pistols, this one is not a blow-back," (NRA, I am thinking of you). You would think that after they say that, in just about every ever 380 review they publish, they would come to realize that it is not insight. It is boilerplate.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

highdesert wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:17 pm Every CCW holder is not 6'2" tall and able to easily carry and conceal a 1911, a Glock 17 or even a compact 9 mm.
I'm 5'9" and can easily conceal a G19 - and can conceal a G17 or Beretta M9 IWB as well. Ayoob's pulled down more by gravity (as is his wife) and they both conceal G19. I completely get that different body types and different styles of dress might require a different weapon, but there's certainly no requirement to be 6'2".

A pocket gun wouldn't have worked for me at any time that I was in the 'world of work' but IWB would have...had I been allowed to carry.

AndyH wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:17 pm Every CCW holder is not 6'2" tall and able to easily carry and conceal a 1911, a Glock 17 or even a compact 9 mm.
I'm 5'9" and can easily conceal a G19 - and can conceal a G17 or Beretta M9 IWB as well. Ayoob's pulled down more by gravity (as is his wife) and they both conceal G19. I completely get that different body types and different styles of dress might require a different weapon, but there's certainly no requirement to be 6'2".

A pocket gun wouldn't have worked for me at any time that I was in the 'world of work' but IWB would have...had I been allowed to carry.
In CA everything is limited to 10 rounds unless you're an LEO, so a Glock 19 holds the same as a Glock 26 and the 26 is more concealable.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When I'm all by myself, a pocket .380 is good enough. I'm always aware of my surroundings, so the chance of getting into a bad situation is minimal. I can run.

However, I bring the G19 when I'm out with family. It's my duty to keep them safe, so I might need to duke it out with a bad guy. Leaving them behind is not an option.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Bought a Ruger SR9c for CCW, it's been a problematic pistol from the start, light strikes, failure to eject, etc.
Did some research found the insides need serious cleaning of machining grease/oil right out-of-the-box.
Still every now and then it has an issue, so this pistol isn't reliable enough for my life to depend on it.
I'm getting a revolver .38/.357. snub nose, an EAA Windicator.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

MaxwellG wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am Bought a Ruger SR9c for CCW, it's been a problematic pistol from the start, light strikes, failure to eject, etc.
Did some research found the insides need serious cleaning of machining grease/oil right out-of-the-box.
Still every now and then it has an issue, so this pistol isn't reliable enough for my life to depend on it.
You don't need to go all the way down to 5-shot revolvers. Try S&W M&P9 compact (first generation) or Glock 26. They won't give you issues like the Ruger.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I'm not a fan of pocket pistols. Unless you carry it in a small pouch it will get filthy and full of lint unless you clean it regularly. And forget about blowback models since the smallest speck of dust might cause a jam after 2 rounds. I'm not a big guy but in Arizona there are so many options to carrying that you don't have to be 6'2" 200 lbs. to carry and feel comfortable.

MaxwellG wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am Bought a Ruger SR9c for CCW, it's been a problematic pistol from the start, light strikes, failure to eject, etc.
Mine worked fine until the trigger wouldn't reset, probably a broken spring. Got authorization from Ruger and sent it to their AZ factory. If I was in the Prescott, AZ area I could have dropped it at the factory. Got it back and they replaced a lot of internals and put 40 rounds through it and it works fine. If you've modified it they will return it to factory specs.

high desert said:

I'm getting a revolver .38/.357. snub nose
I carry a S&W 340 every day all day. Pocket in a pocket holster, OWB and occasionally IWB. But it is always there and I know it will go 'bang'.

Now, when people tell you need to practice, they are not kidding. It takes a lot of rounds to be able to hit center of target on your first shot every time. (And I don't mean the bullseye, just somewhere in the near middle.)