Re: I'm Gonna Hate This Guy

I feel that way about a lot of the new regime administration.

On the other hand, there is a part of me that is eager to see how this unfolds. There's clearly never been anybody like Trump in the White House before.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Stiff wrote:Our very own Baghdad Bob.
Lol,

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

We need a thread merge with mine.

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:We need a thread merge with mine.

Or, merge mine with yours. ..

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Dan Rather denounced "alternative facts" on his Facebook page.
“These are not normal times. These are extraordinary times. And extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. When you have a spokesperson for the president of the United States wrap up a lie in the Orwellian phrase “alternative facts”… When you have a press secretary in his first appearance before the White House reporters threaten, bully, lie, and then walk out of the briefing room without the cajones to answer a single question… When you have a President stand before the stars of the fallen CIA agents and boast about the size of his crowds (lies) and how great his authoritarian inaugural speech was….These are not normal times.”

“What can we do? We can all step up and say simply and without equivocation. ‘A lie, is a lie, is a lie!’ And if someone won’t say it, those of us who know that there is such a thing as the truth must do whatever is in our power to diminish the liar’s malignant reach into our society. There is one group of people who can do a lot – very quickly. And that is Republicans in Congress. Without their support, Donald Trump’s presidency will falter. So here is what I think everyone in the press must do. If you are interviewing a Paul Ryan, a Mitch McConnell, or any other GOP elected official, the first question must be “what will you do to combat the lying from the White House?” If they dodge and weave, keep with the follow ups. And if they refuse to give a satisfactory answer, end the interview.

“Facts and the truth are not partisan. They are the bedrock of our democracy. And you are either with them, with us, with our Constitution, our history, and the future of our nation, or you are against it. Everyone must answer that question.”
https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/p ... 7282405716
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I was trying to follow him today. He speaks in fragments but they are detailed fragments. :hmmm: There was very little I could say I learned because there weren't too many complete thoughts.

The exception is when he slid from Press Topic to seemingly Parallel Topic that shifted him from defensive to expressing the sins of others. He is a true artist in Scolding so I can see why he likes that position better.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

If Spicer keeps going, his nose will be so long that he'll have to sleep outside. He's becoming the Joke Secretary.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer, who held a press conference yesterday falsely accusing the media of lying about attendance at Trump’s inauguration, among other things, was asked by ABC News anchor Jonathan Karl today if it is his intention to always tell the truth and if he would pledge to never knowingly say something that is not factual.

Replied Spicer: “I think sometimes we can disagree with the facts…our intention is never to lie to you.”

Asked CNN’s Jim Acosta, who Trump accused of being a reporter for a “fake news” outlet in his first press conference: “Isn't that just part of the conversation that happens in Washington? … Isn't that part of what comes with being President of the United States?”

“No, it’s not,” replied Spicer, adding:

“There is this constant theme to undercut the enormous support that he has…I think it’s just unbelievably frustrating when you’re continually told it’s not big enough, it’s not good enough, you can’t win…Over and over again there’s this constant attempt to undermine his credibility and the movement that he represents, and it’s frustrating for, not just him, but I think so many of us that are trying to work to get this message out…To constantly be told, no no no, and to watch him go, yes yes yes. and have people put blocks up. It is frustrating… It is a little demoralizing… And then you look at the stuff that is happening…”
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TheViking wrote:
lurker wrote:the word "tremendous" has become meaningless.
:wavecry:
It's a disaster!
yuge! BIGLY yuge! tremendously BIGLY f'n yuge! a million and a half!
so many things to dislike about this administration, it would be easier to just dislike them all. but that would be the republican way, and we're better than that, right? there must be something to not dislike. something. killing the TPP, maybe.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:
TheViking wrote:
lurker wrote:the word "tremendous" has become meaningless.
:wavecry:
It's a disaster!
yuge! BIGLY yuge! tremendously BIGLY f'n yuge! a million and a half!
so many things to dislike about this administration, it would be easier to just dislike them all. but that would be the republican way, and we're better than that, right? there must be something to not dislike. something. killing the TPP, maybe.
They have all the best people, they are so nice. Tremendously nice.

The drama is just going to get worse. Turnip can't stand the fact that somebody can do somethings better than him. He always will have an excuse whysomething didn't work and it will never be his fault. His Administration is looking like the administration of a despotic authoritarian government. Where the leader keeps everybody at odds with each other and currying favors from the great one while stabbing each other in the back.
The broader power struggles within the Trump operation have touched everything from the new administration’s communications shop to the expansive role of the president’s son-in-law to the formation of Trump’s political organization. At the center, as always, is Trump himself, whose ascent to the White House seems to have only heightened his acute sensitivity to criticism.

This account of Trump’s tumultuous first days in office comes from interviews with nearly a dozen senior White House officials and other Trump advisers and confidants, some of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations and moments.

By most standards, Spicer’s statement Saturday did not go well. He appeared tired and nervous in an ill-fitting gray pinstripe suit. He publicly gave faulty facts and figures — which he said were provided to him by the Presidential Inaugural Committee — that prompted a new round of media scrutiny.

Many critics thought Spicer went too far and compromised his integrity. But in Trump’s mind, Spicer’s attack on the news media was not forceful enough. The president was also bothered that the spokesman read, at times haltingly, from a printed statement.

Trump has been resentful, even furious, at what he views as the media’s failure to reflect the magnitude of his achievements, and he feels demoralized that the public’s perception of his presidency so far does not necessarily align with his own sense of accomplishment.
Unlike other senior aides — Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon, counselor Kellyanne Conway and senior adviser Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law — Spicer does not enjoy a close and long-standing personal relationship with Trump.

During the campaign, Trump was suspicious of both Priebus and Spicer, who ran the Republican National Committee and were seen as more loyal to the party than to its nominee. Some privately wonder whether Conway is now trying to undermine Spicer.

As Trump thought about staffing his administration following his surprise victory, he hesitated over selecting Spicer as White House press secretary. He did not see Spicer as particularly telegenic and preferred a woman for the position, asking Conway to do it and also considering conservative commentators Laura Ingraham and Monica Crowley — who ultimately stepped down from an administration job because of charges of plagiarism — before settling on Spicer at the urging of Priebus and others.
But tensions and internal power struggles have plagued other parts of Trump’s fledgling orbit, too.

Efforts to launch an outside group supporting Trump’s agenda have stalled amid fighting between Kushner loyalists, such as the campaign’s data and digital strategist Brad Parscale, and conservative donor Rebekah Mercer, according to people familiar with the tensions. Major disputes include who would control the data the outside group would use, with Mercer advocating for Cambridge Analytica, a firm in which her father is invested, and who would control the lucrative contracts with vendors, these people said.

Two people close to the transition also said a number of Trump’s most loyal campaign aides have been alarmed by Kushner’s efforts to elbow aside anyone he perceives as a possible threat to his role as Trump’s chief consigliere. At one point during the transition, Kushner had argued internally against giving Conway a White House role, these two people said.

Because Conway operates outside of the official communications department, some aides grumble that she can go rogue when she pleases, offering her own message and promoting herself as much as the president. One suggested that Conway’s office on the second floor of the West Wing, as opposed to one closer to the Oval Office, was a sign of her diminished standing. Though Conway took over the workspace previously occupied by Valerie Jarrett, who had been Obama’s closest adviser, the confidant dismissively predicted that Trump would rarely climb a flight of stairs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... a9ec2d0151

It's going to be a long 2-4 years.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Piece by Ryan Lizza at the New Yorker - "SEAN SPICER’S ABNORMAL PRESS CONFERENCE"
Sean Spicer, the new White House press secretary, made it clear in his first official briefing that, like his boss, he would break with Washington precedents. After he stepped to the lectern yesterday and read a lengthy readout of the President’s day—three Presidential memoranda signed and several meetings with corporate C.E.O.s, union officials, and congressional leaders—he called on his first news organization, the New York Post.

The Post, of course, has been documenting Trump’s career longer and more closely than any other paper in America. If you grew up in New York in the eighties, the Post is the reason you knew more about Trump than you would have liked. It’s the paper that Trump, masquerading as a P.R. representative named John Miller, would often call to leak details about his romantic conquests and the soap opera of his three marriages. Decades later, the paper, owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp., has a remained a reliable Trump booster. On Sunday, the day after Spicer shocked reporters by reading an angry statement that included at least four easily verifiable lies about the crowd size for Trump’s Inauguration, the cover of the Post promoted a “40-page souvenir section” on “Trump’s Road to the White House.” Yesterday, its cover featured Ivanka Trump in a gown—“Hail to the chic”—and included three pages of pictures on “Ivanka’s style.”

So it was no surprise when Spicer ignored the first row of correspondents from the major news wires and TV networks and selected the Post, whose correspondent inquired, “When will you guys commence the building of the border wall?”

From the Post, Spicer moved on to a reporter from the Christian Broadcasting Network, who asked about abortion policy. Spicer eventually came back to the mainstream outlets in the front row. He did a commendable job of taking questions from a wide range of news organizations in a briefing that lasted well beyond the typical time period. He announced one change to the format: he would soon bring in reporters from outside Washington to ask questions via Skype, a modernization that seems harmless. Once Spicer got going, the briefing seemed almost routine—almost.

Sitting along the wall that leads into the West Wing were several of Trump’s other new communications staffers, including Omarosa Manigault, the well-known villain from “The Apprentice”—who recently told “Frontline” that “every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to President Trump,” because “it is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe”—and Hope Hicks, Trump’s campaign spokeswoman, who, in 2015, falsely accused a reporter of making up a story about being grabbed by Trump’s first campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski.* (The event in question was recorded on video.) Sitting beside Manigault and Hicks was Kellyanne Conway, Trump’s third campaign manager, who on Sunday became an Internet meme after she insisted that the Trump White House would battle the truth with “alternative facts.” They are all now assistants to the President, the most senior title for White House staffers.

One of the dangers in covering an abnormal Presidency is that journalists will constantly be on the lookout for signs of normalcy, and exaggerate and even celebrate them as proof that things aren’t so unusual, after all. In Masha Gessen’s alarming and widely read essay “Autocracy: Rules for Survival,” she warns, “Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.” It’s natural, she notes, to be lulled into complacency by “falsely reassuring words about how the world as we know it has not ended.” That the Trump White House followed a weekend of lies from the President and his spokesman with a relatively normal press briefing is nothing to be celebrated.

And even Spicer’s briefing on Monday continued a worrying pattern from his remarks on Saturday, when he made false claims about the size of the crowd at Friday’s Inauguration ceremony. He began the briefing with a couple of jokes, which fell flat in the room, about his tirade on Saturday, but when he was pressed about the incident he offered a circuitous answer about how “our intention’s never to lie to you,” and insisted that “if we make a mistake, we’ll do our best to correct it.” Spicer stuck by his statement that “it was the largest watched Inauguration, ever,” despite the fact that the one verifiable metric for viewership, Nielsen ratings, show that Trump’s inaugural was well behind the TV audience for ceremonies for Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and Barack Obama. (Spicer insisted that live Web streams should be added, but even on that score Obama’s first inaugural beat Trump’s.)

There were other signs that Trump’s own worst instincts were being absorbed by his new staff. Iraq is a sovereign nation and an ally of the United States in the fight against the Islamic State. Over the weekend, Trump, in remarks at the C.I.A. headquarters, casually suggested that “maybe we’ll have another chance” to seize the country’s oil, which, even if we were at war with Iraq, would be illegal under international law.

Asked about this, Spicer said, “If we’re going into a country for a cause, I think that he wants to make sure that America’s getting something out of it for the commitment and the sacrifice that we’re making.” When this statement is shorn of its euphemism—“get something out of it”—it is a declaration from the White House podium that the United States will violate the Geneva Conventions in any future conflict under President Trump. The press simply moved on to a question about executive orders.

Many Washington journalists have known Spicer for years and were relieved that he would become the press secretary. But going to work for Trump comes at a cost. Yesterday was Day Four of the Trump Administration, and Spicer has already been sent out by the President to lie about trivial matters of crowd size—and to defend a policy of committing war crimes. This isn’t normal.http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk ... conference