My first AR build-perhaps..

So all the talk of cheap lowers has got me thinking about an AR build.

I have good sense of what I want from it. That in a word is versatility. I'd want a lower that has the fewest number of foibles and quirks so that it has maximum compatibility.

A list of thoughts.

Ironwood rifle furniture.

Calibers considered in no particular order, but the least expensive will probably be first...

5.56 bull barrel
6.5 grendel
450 bushmaster
22 LR (hehe)

probably will assemble the trigger myself from generic parts to start and if it sucks move up to custom drop in trigger.

Lemme know what seem like a good bet.

Thanks!!

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Re: My first AR build-perhaps..

I've been thinking of an AR-10 build with wood furniture for a hunting rifle as a project for next year. Though it's more likely I'll get a Savage Axis or a TC Venture, but wood furniture is super tempting.

Do yourself a favor and if you're not going to get a drop in trigger (I use a CMC trigger), at least get an ALG trigger which is about as nice a stock trigger you'll get for $60, you can even play around with JP springs for another $15 to get the trigger pull down even more.

Your goal is compatibility, so 5.56. It will give the most options. Skip the Ironwood for better cooling if you're ever going to use it in any defensive carbine courses, and polymer or aluminum will handle scratches from other chest rig gear better. Ironwood has no options for collapsible stocks anyway, which sucks for switching shooting hands during training.
"We are The Liberal Gun Club, not the tolerant gun club...."

"I'm an expert."

"This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem and a tyranny problem disguised as a security problem." --Joe Rogan

Thanks for the tips! I want to build a rifle length barrel, range/hunting gun, with a priority on it being featureless in the California sense. I am not in need of a tactical style weapon at this time. But in the extremely unlikely event that i found myself in need of home defense weapon, i pity the po foo that is downrange of a 450 bushmaster. I have significantly less pity on the the wild hogs i'd like to harvest with a big bore AR...

It seems like a spikes tactical mil spec lower is my best option. My LGS has then for around 120.00 something (This is California, after all, and in San Francisco no less...)

There is also an option for an Anderson Arms lower at around 100.00, but it is not mil spec. Haven't honed in on the details of why, but the most obvious thing is that it has a cast in trigger guard. Meaning the whole trigger guard area is solid metal without the space between the pistol grip mount and the magazine well. Somehow I think a cast trigger guard might ace me out of featureless grip alternatives. does this make sense?

On some fully assembled uppers I have read that you can't remove the stock handguard without some difficulty, so that will be a point to research. It might be that the firearm does not turn out to be all wood, all the time.

Spara: Thanks for the trigger recommendations!

I have been eyeing for some time a Del-Ton 5.56 20" barrel rifle build kit that midway sells for around $500 with everything but the lower. Has anyone had experience with this kit? When I was researching PC builds I noted that sometimes the build kits are value engineered in ways that i might not agree with, so i am slightly skeptical.

There is some appeal to really building from scratch, including assembling the upper since i am a tinkerer and a maybe even an ok home gunsmith. I want to avoid pitfalls that the market can sometimes present to unsuspecting newbies, glad y'all have my back!

Another firearm to research,,sigh....

Thanks again for all the comments, keep 'em coming...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ares Defense is selling the SCR lower on its own right now. That's good for Californians.

It's pricey, and I can't really recommend it because the trigger sucks and there are no simple replacement options.

Hopefully that will change in a bit.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

change the thread subject to definitely....

spikes tactical mil spec lower in jail now.

But since i can't run off the the range and shoot it the pick up date seems a little anti climatic.

I do feel the nubbins of horns starting to grow out my skull since i have joined the dark side of the force....

:evo: :evo: :evo: :evo: :evo: :evo: :evo: :evo: :evo:

fknauss wrote:Ares Defense is selling the SCR lower on its own right now. That's good for Californians.

It's pricey, and I can't really recommend it because the trigger sucks and there are no simple replacement options.

Hopefully that will change in a bit.
Shit. Five benjamins. I'm actually tempted- if it wasn't for the atrocious trigger I'd probably do it.

Oh! And congrats drigeba! Welcome to the dark side! Many strange and wonderful parts await!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I am planning to start with a generic AR trigger group and assemble it myself. Then comb the web for trigger hacking info to see what can be done to improve it.

Since this will be a budget build (yeah riiiight) I can't pop for an Ares lower. That would be my first choice. I will probably spend the extra dough I would have spent on the Ares lower on pretty wood furniture, though. it is likely that i will start with a plastic A2 rifle stock, but :hmmm: maybe i can put wood veneer on it or paint it to look like bamboo...Repeat after me: "This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this is mine..."

This just as much fun as building bikes or computers.... :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

Black Friday sales here i come...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Update:

Cheap lower receivers only get you into trouble...this AR shit is like crack.

and I thought building a computer was geeky...

Since I already have a .223, I am settling in on building a 6.5 Grendel 18"-20" barrel. Any one have any experience with this build?

oy!