Re: AR One piece scope mounts

I toiled a bit with this myself. I have a Nikon P223 3x fixed power carbine scope.... so I bought p223 mounts. well they would not sit high enough over the BUIS.

So I bought a quick Release M223 Nikon Mount, which was too long for the P223 fixed 3x scope.

I ended up with a guy at the gun show giving me a chinese made adjustable ring distance, single piece QD scope mount for like $35.

So, if you have an a-typical sized scope, i'd be wary of the non adjustable units.
E pluribus unum

My AR QD scope mount is from LaRue (source of all those wacky "extremely rightwing" bumper stickers too), and it resembles the PEPR version, but has a different detach mechanism, and is also more expensive. The expense comes with ease of use (it's actually very quick to detach and reattach) and reliability though (dead on zero each time), so in that case I do recommend the LaRue. However, if LaRue is out of your price range, the PEPR probably should do fine -- just scan the reviews and make sure it has enough clearance for your BUIS. Likewise, if you want, you can probably go even more economical with a UTG QD mount (again, just making sure it has enough clearance). People poo-poo UTG/Leapers a lot, but so far every UTG item I've bought has been pretty high quality stuff, and very economical, so I'd recommend that as well.

Yeah, UTG is actually good stuff by and large. Haven't had a negative experience yet- it may not be the lightest or fanciest, but it definitely works. LaRue is awesome, but..... Way over the top with their politics.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Back Up Iron Sights...

I am not sure if i am going to put them on, but it's an AR...

Saw some nice? cheap! one on Amazon when i googled BUIS...

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Optics-4 ... s=UTG+BUIS

I think i like the 45 offset concept, although the PEPR has railed rings for mounting a RDs up top.

I am getting all COD on this...

Will a non quick detach 1 piece mount be removable and still keep zero? Probably won't be taking optics on or off in the field.

Thanks for all the great advice!

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I can't speak for all mounts, but my Aimpoint PRO with the QD mounts retains perfect zero. I've had it on and off a dozen times or more and it's always spot on. As to backup sights, did you try my Troy sights at the range? If not you might want to check them out- personally I wish every rifle I owned had that setup- they're the di-optic sights, and you can get them in the offset, I use the fold up style though.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I have the Burris PEPR and it works well. I have yet to have any issues with it losing zero, but I also swapped it for a Eotech and haven't swapped back recently.

I also have one of the LaRue's mounts and while I agree their politics are a bit much, their products are nice. The quick release on the LaRue is noticeably higher quality and easier to use, but the Burris works just fine.

Hold your nose while you click the buy button... ;) I guess I always figured it was part of what I had to deal with owning guns. Some companies, stores and enthusiasts are more vocal and in your face than others. At least LaRue gives you BBQ rub and a bottle entry tool for your trouble.

GravyBoat wrote:I use this - https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arm ... xsmext.htm

They have a non-extended version for the same price as well. Good quality, I like the extended because I tend to shoot nose to charging handle. Has held up well on my 20" AR, good quality and good price. Plus primary arms has great CS and warranty.
I have been seeing some references to Nose to charging handle hold. Do you have a quick rundown on why this position is used for AR carbines?

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:
GravyBoat wrote:I use this - https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arm ... xsmext.htm

They have a non-extended version for the same price as well. Good quality, I like the extended because I tend to shoot nose to charging handle. Has held up well on my 20" AR, good quality and good price. Plus primary arms has great CS and warranty.
I have been seeing some references to Nose to charging handle hold. Do you have a quick rundown on why this position is used for AR carbines?

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Simplest answer is you will always have exactly the same eye relief to your sights/scope and the same cheek weld, which makes everything extremely repeatable and consistent.