Re: A project idea bites me

I'll investigate about the pic.

I have two m44 Mosin receivers just lying there, and I have all the other parts. I might use a standard trigger
guard instead of going with the one shot--easier. But I'm intrigued about the possibilities of that
peep sight. I have a couple, and they're very interesting, very accurate even for old fart eyes.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I have this rear aperture sight on my M-N, and I like it.

http://www.mojosights.com/sample-page/n/

I don't use their aperture front sight, though -- don't like the concentric circles. I use a SmithSights.com front sight, I think the one he calls "classic target".

While I was looking for the above link, I found this, surely the ugliest and dopiest mod ever for a Mosin-Nagant: :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Mosin-Nag ... Z7EYW36RF3
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

OK, now that I see the pic, I see you are talking about a more serious target sight setup than I had in mind. Go for it!

I wonder what the optimal barrel length/weight is for a precision rifle with iron sights?

As you go longer, you get a better sight radius. But a long barrel, especially a thin barrel, will whip around more.

So it would depend on a lot of factors, but I bet someone could come up with an algorithm, or at least a heuristic.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

SHIT OF GOAT PISTOL GRIP ON MOTHER RUSSIA'S MOST PERFECT RIFLE. CAPITALIST PIGS MUST THROW PISTOL GRIP ON EVERYTHING THINKING IT WILL MAKE THEM HIT BETTER THAN BARN BROADSIDE! STUPID CAPITALISTS SHOULD SPEND MONEY ON CRATE OF AMMUNITION TO LEARN HOW TO SHOOT, NOT RUIN POOR RIFLE WITH PLASTIC GOAT SHIT HANDLE!

That out of the way- I like where you're going with the target rifle setup. Is that another UK Machine gun barrel on it?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Oh, and if you're short on barrels, I've got a spare in my garage- it's the one that was removed when I had the McGowan installed. It's cut to 22" with a target crown. Shiny bore, strong rifling.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:SHIT OF GOAT PISTOL GRIP ON MOTHER RUSSIA'S MOST PERFECT RIFLE. CAPITALIST PIGS MUST THROW PISTOL GRIP ON EVERYTHING THINKING IT WILL MAKE THEM HIT BETTER THAN BARN BROADSIDE! STUPID CAPITALISTS SHOULD SPEND MONEY ON CRATE OF AMMUNITION TO LEARN HOW TO SHOOT, NOT RUIN POOR RIFLE WITH PLASTIC GOAT SHIT HANDLE!
How about some Russian on Russian Action?

I love that hybrid.

I think it's all about the bolt face: the Mosin is for a rimmed cartridge. What if I went .25-35?
I also have a Tikka m91 barrel that has an excellent bore. It's also designed to fire that sized
bullet.

I priced sights...so far two hunnert an fitty bucks. Gee.

Keep shopping...maybe find a used one that would work.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack