Springfield NRA Sporter...or NM rifle.

A few weeks ago I won a Springfield Sporter style rifle at an auction. I got it pretty cheap and was encouraged by the fact that it is listed on the Springfield Research Service data base...but as a NM model. It is strange, however, because dozens of rifles before this one and dozens after, all consecutive serials, are listed as Sporters.

I'm guessing that the data base is off or that a buyer converted a NM model to a sporter configuration.

Description advised a serial number of 1266801 and a "Star Crown".

Re: Springfield NRA Sporter...or NM rifle.

Thanks guys.

The 10-day "cooling off" period is up and I'm sufficiently dispassionate to be trusted with the rifle. I'll post a range report as soon as I can.

I'll also be picking up a Remington Rand 1911 that I won and I'll post a few pics of that also.

Thanks, Joel, for posting the DCM records. I'm still puzzled by the large number of sporters that are both before and after my serial number on the list. However, at this point, it appears that someone converted a National Match rifle to a Springfield sporter.

Mustang wrote:Thanks guys.

The 10-day "cooling off" period is up and I'm sufficiently dispassionate to be trusted with the rifle. I'll post a range report as soon as I can.

I'll also be picking up a Remington Rand 1911 that I won and I'll post a few pics of that also.

Thanks, Joel, for posting the DCM records. I'm still puzzled by the large number of sporters that are both before and after my serial number on the list. However, at this point, it appears that someone converted a National Match rifle to a Springfield sporter.
Outstanding. Congrats!
:clap:

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

highdesert wrote:Very nice and great detail pics. Happy shooting!
Xela wrote:
Outstanding. Congrats!
:clap:

Xela

Thanks...better pics when I pick the rifle up.

When it arrived at my FFL, I looked it over before it went in his safe.

I could not find any indexing groove on the barrel for a normal 1903 rear sight and the barrel seemed to be slightly different in profile to my 1903 military profile barrels. It does have the star gauge on the crown.

Bore is shiny and sharp.

Bluing is in very good condition, except a bit faded on the floor plate.

I could not find any cartouches on the stock, which appears to be in good shape and solid.

The striker and cocking piece of the bolt is bright blue. The bolt body is parkerized and I could only find a punch mark on the bolt handle...no letters or numbers.

I grabbed a few pictures...

Thanks, CD

I picked up the Springfield sporter today. Looked it over more carefully and found that the bolt has "J 5" stamped on the safety lug and a ping mark on the underside of the bolt handle at the root. It has been parkerized.

The barrel is dated "5-25" and has the star gauge mark on the muzzle.

There is a tapped hole on the rear bridge, under the Lyman rear sight.

There is a circle P cartouche on the underside of the pistol grip

Thanks, guys

I've looked it over more closely...it is possible the upper half of the receiver ring has been radiused.

Here are a few more pics.

The reason that I allow that it might have a radiused receiver ring is this...here are a few pics of a documented Sporter's receiver ring...

Here is my receiver ring...

Seems similar to me. what do you guys think?