Re: AK47 vs SKS

CaspianSeaMonster wrote:One note about the Chinese NORINCO models, they were only made for military service up until... 1988? I think. Production continued after that, but only specifically for commercial export to the US. The military versions are marked with a one or two digit date code followed by a six digit serial number, with date code number 1 starting in 1957 (mine was marked 21xxxxxx.) I'm fairly certain that rifles made for civilian export do not have this date code present.
--Katemonster

Thanks for that info. That makes mine manufactured in 1969. I'm still trying to get a period correct stock for it since I was a dumbass and just had to have the plastic folding stock. :problem:
"Time is the fire in which we burn"

Buck13 wrote:uurrghl...It makes me sad to read this and know how cheap these things were not that many years ago, when I was not interested. :weep:
Man, when I bought mine that WAS expensive! Some of the early SKS's to be imported sold here for $65 - $75...Some had a case of Chinese ammo added as an incentive to buy these things...and I wasn't interested in them then, either...
The ONLY thing the "assault weapons" ban did was jack up prices on these things...which is one reason importers and sellers did not complain about it! The stock they had on hand tripled in value - at least- and they had a year or so to order all they could afford to import and store before the "ban" took effect. Mags, rifles, etc, were imported by the ton to beat the "ban" deadline...they could then be sold as "pre-ban".
The only people who got hurt were us gun nuts.

FWIW, AIM Surplus had a batch of "fair" older Chinese SKS's- all machined- for about $250...they are now sold out, but they are evidently more coming and I bet they will not last long either...http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=12

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

dogngun wrote:
FWIW, AIM Surplus had a batch of "fair" older Chinese SKS's- all machined- for about $250...they are now sold out, but they are evidently more coming and I bet they will not last long either...http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=12
Oscar Mike Goddamnedmotherfuckingsonofabitch! Send up a flare if they do. For under $300, I'm in.

Oh, I see I can register for notification. I wonder if I can get a C&R before they restock?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Lately, politics are giving urgency to my goal of getting an AKMS, but a dealer in my area has a Type 53 Chinese 7.62x54 SKS, the one imported and resold by Century International Arms, for a very tempting $200, and supposedly in good condition. I guess I should drive out there and look at it for myself.

rtejon wrote:Lately, politics are giving urgency to my goal of getting an AKMS, but a dealer in my area has a Type 53 Chinese 7.62x54 SKS, the one imported and resold by Century International Arms, for a very tempting $200, and supposedly in good condition. I guess I should drive out there and look at it for myself.
SKS in 7.62x54? Doubt it. And for that price, it couldn't be an SVT.

7.62x39 more likely.

That's a good price, especially if it's original condition. Extra points if it's former military/police/milita.

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

MilSurpFreak wrote:Actually, S.O.G. has the Chinese Type 53 carbines for $99. Also have the Chinese SKS for $250.
S.O.G.?? That an LGS?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Online, Souther Ohio Gun
"Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized."

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

OK Simonov.com, which was a GREAT site, is no more...can't even find a trace of it. I recommend THIS site for SKS info, but be aware they have aeveral political forums and "survivalist" forums, which I haver not entered in many years...

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Also, regarding the Chinese SKS's that were sold by AIM surplus...I THINK they are being imported by Century Arms Inc, which sells to dealers...and I understand they are fairly early Chinese made weapons that were sent to Bulgaria as "aid" when they were no longer Chinese People's Army weapons...I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it is my suspicion...and AIM has none as of this morning.
added: I just checked CIA's site and the only Chinese SKS's I found are "incomplete" and sold as non-shooters/parts guns...but they are exactly early Chinese machined SKS's with the screwed in barrel...sole to dealers only, no price for me because I'm not registered there...If you want to take a chance on a random old Chinese SKS being repairable, this might be a good deal...I think Numrich still has parts for the Norincos....Hmmmm...

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

I had two SKSs sitting in the locker since about 1990 or so. One was a Chinese short-barreled thing that took AK mags, and the other was a pristine Russian. I also had a beater that I shot a bit, and even killed some deer with. Then, they started to bore me, so they sat for 10 years.

A year ago, I sold them all off for about 10 times what I paid for them and bought some other stuff, including a cheap Saiga 7.62x39. I converted that to AK-100 configuration, and cut huge holes in the receiver and installed a Polis underfolder stock and rear trunnion, and then rust-blued the whole thing. I absolutely love it, in a way I never loved the SKSs.

IMO, AK>SKS, and by a bunch.
We'll know America is truly free when we read in the press a glowing account of a married gay couple having defended their legal pot plants with a legal sub-machinegun. What we have until then mocks liberty.

A cheap Saiga at the moment is about $800, but if the AWB doesn't go thru I'm curious where the price will fall back to.

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

GlockLobster wrote:A cheap Saiga at the moment is about $800, but if the AWB doesn't go thru I'm curious where the price will fall back to.

Really? I wonder what a converted underfolder in beautiful rust-blue might go for?
We'll know America is truly free when we read in the press a glowing account of a married gay couple having defended their legal pot plants with a legal sub-machinegun. What we have until then mocks liberty.

Probably 1200 to 1500 on GB. Last month you probably could of gotten 2k on GB.

For a Saiga? Damn. I blew it!

I have one of the sporter SKS models with the goofy thumb hole stock. It takes AK mags. I get the best of both worlds with it. Wish it had an optics side rail, but it is a ton of fun to shoot and has never, not once, failed to fire. Also have two regular Chinese SKS's. I keep them all stock, no duckbill mags or any funky add ons.

Honestly, I have come to prefer the SKS over the AK. I just have always felt like I can outshoot most AK's. With the SKS I have always felt like I could make hits with the damn things. I think it's the longer barrel and sight radius, but it inspires more confidence when l lay the sights on something.

makarov wrote:I Also have two regular Chinese SKS's. I keep them all stock, no duckbill mags or any funky add ons.
You look look for the insights of Ivan Cesnokov regarding aftermarket anything on SKS's.
First Comrade, you must firmly insert your tongue in your cheek, then proceed.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wgzEqf5GuQI/T ... 745929.png

GlockLobster wrote:A cheap Saiga at the moment is about $800, but if the AWB doesn't go thru I'm curious where the price will fall back to.
Hopefully they will fall back to where they were ($300-$400 range) after the panic subsides (I seriously doubt that any serious anti-gun legislation will pass on a federal level).

I could make bank on an unconverted Saiga 5.45 I have sitting around, but I honestly have no intention of selling it.
goon wrote:Honestly, I have come to prefer the SKS over the AK. I just have always felt like I can outshoot most AK's. With the SKS I have always felt like I could make hits with the damn things. I think it's the longer barrel and sight radius, but it inspires more confidence when l lay the sights on something.
The SKS is more accurate than 7.62X39mm AK's, but in spite of this I still prefer the AK, mainly due to the superior trigger of the AK.

When it comes to AK's, my Romanian RPK (AES-10B) has a nice, long sight radius. ;)

I am sitting on the 7.62X39mm ammunition I currently have, thanks to the panic buying leaving the shelves empty. Fortunately, I am still finding "spam cans" of surplus 5.45X39mm ammunition, so my SKS's and 7.62X39mm AK's will get less range time while my Saiga 5.45's (one converted to AK-74 configuration, other in factory configuration) will get more range time.
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal