Got Vepr's?

Looking at Vepr "sporter" rifles on Centerfire Systems site...I see they are available in .308 and .223 as well as 7.62 in various lengths...How do they shoot? I like the looks and it would be a bi money plinker - Can't hunt with auto loaders here in PA.
Any owners of experiences with them? Thanks.

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

Re: Got Vepr's?

No personal experience, but if you can't hunt with it may as well go with the 5.45x39 just to save on ammo costs... But for $500, that's not a bad looking buy! Little mods to the AK platform which is rock solid- I'd go for it and let us know :beer2:
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Made by Molot, it lacks the authentic military pedigree of a Saiga, though you get an RPK thickness (1.6mm) receiver which gives excellent a accuracy. The old Vepr-K's were awesome in 5.45, though I'd look at a longer barrel and 54R if I were getting another one.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

shinzen wrote:Xela- you notice what the pricing was on the Centerfire site? $500!!! That makes them waaaay tempting.....
Oh, gotcha. Yeah. Pretty tempting.

I was more inclined towards the 23 inch 7.62x54, which, I don't see now. I did notice there are 10 round mags for it now, they are horrid!

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

ErikO wrote:I'm holding out for a TIGR. :lol:
So am I. If/when the Russians drop the VRA we should get more cheap Tigrs. The NDM86s are better, but too rich for my blood.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

OhioTry wrote:
M4Builder wrote:Sexy! I like the lines of the Super Vepr. I'm sad they don't make it in 7.62x54r.
They do make VPERs in 7.62x54r. They are, after all, based off of the RPK general purpose machine gun, which is in 7.62x54r. Not quite a Dragunov, but very close to one.
I was refering to the Super Vepr. The only ones I can find are .223 and .308. The regular Vepr is in 7.62.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

OhioTry wrote:
M4Builder wrote:Sexy! I like the lines of the Super Vepr. I'm sad they don't make it in 7.62x54r.
They do make VPERs in 7.62x54r. They are, after all, based off of the RPK general purpose machine gun, which is in 7.62x54r. Not quite a Dragunov, but very close to one.
Just to split some hairs, the Veprs are made by Molot who made the RPK in 7.62x39 and then the RPK74 in 5.45x39. The PK GPMG is 54R, though quite different to the Kalashnikov action of the RPK and Vepr.

I was planning on getting a 7.62X54R variant today, and I even called an FFL holder to arrange the transfer. However, I found out that Atlantic Firearms was out of stock on all 7.62X54R variants when I tried to add one to the cart. :cry:

There is a forum dedicated to Vepr variants:

http://vepr.org
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

7N6Wolf wrote:I was planning on getting a 7.62X54R variant today, and I even called an FFL holder to arrange the transfer. However, I found out that Atlantic Firearms was out of stock on all 7.62X54R variants when I tried to add one to the cart. :cry:

There is a forum dedicated to Vepr variants:

http://vepr.org
Thanks for the link! I'll be putting that one on my wish list, lust list! :love: I'm going to keep an eye for 'em, maybe one day money, time and space will reach a happy place intersecting with a Vepr 7.62x54R 23" LH! :beer2: Sure would be interested to know what you think when you find one!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

mitch wrote:Where's the love for the 12 gauge?

Don't know, I'm not into skeet shooting yet! :roflmao:

7N6Wolf, I blame you for encouraging my addition, signed up on the Vepr site! :beer2:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Got Vepr's?

I don't know much about the V12, but it has piqued my curiosity. I am currently trying to learn more about it, as I may get one and wait on the X54R Vepr, assuming I can find some interesting uses for it.

There is nothing wrong with a Vepr addiction. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

Fukshot wrote:
sikacz wrote:
mitch wrote:Where's the love for the 12 gauge?

*Awesomeness*/quote]
Don't know, I'm not into skeet shooting yet! :roflmao:
I shot clay with a converted Saiga 12 once. It was awesome!
Skeet shooting is about the only use I would have for 12! Just dress up in English tweeds and carry Vepr 12! :beer2:

If I wasn't this far into the Saiga 12 rebuild, I'd have bought a VEPR-12 instead. Even if the magazines are probably expensive enough that they ought to be made from platinum.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.