Re: Finnish Mosin Nagant M39, what's to know?

CDFingers wrote:As long as they're hollow ground, not "carpenter's" screwdrivers. Sure, if you're really careful you won't bungle up the screw heads, but it's best to use hollow ground.

CDFingers
Hallowed ground screwdrivers?!? Jebus Price man, it's a Mosin, not a Mercedes! A standard claw hammer is what I use! :D
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

"What about zombies?"

"Oh yeah - well, forget what I just said."

I'll have to get me some hollow ground screw drivers, doesn't look like there's a need for more than one or two sizes. I wonder if some of the larger outdoor box stores like Cabela's or Gander would carry those? The stock has a faint tar scent to it, that might explain the darker stock. Doesn't look like it has cosmoline on it, some light oil, and the bore looks clean. I don't have a rifle cabinet yet, what's a good way to store her? My wife's first reaction was she's beautiful, you going to hang it on the wall? :laugh: Right now she's on my office table...took her out of the cardboard box she came in, wasn't sure I should keep her in it or not.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:Is a plastic case good for the rifle...or should I make a wood case with a lock? I've read that foam can deteriorate with time and ruin the finish, is this a concern..am I being paranoid?
Assuming you don't plan to keep it in a case forever, it shouldn't be too much of a concern. I do, however, know how it feel when you receive a beautiful new rifle. I had all these worries when I brought my FN-49 home.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

sikacz wrote:Is a plastic case good for the rifle...or should I make a wood case with a lock? I've read that foam can deteriorate with time and ruin the finish, is this a concern..am I being paranoid?
Yes you are being paranoid. I've used a hard case for years. When you put it away make sure you rub the metal down with a little oil. I'm willing to bet that more guns have been worn out from excessive cleaning than from shooting.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:
Yes you are being paranoid. I've used a hard case for years. When you put it away make sure you rub the metal down with a little oil. I'm willing to bet that more guns have been worn out from excessive cleaning than from shooting.
:roflmao: I've heard that, I bet it's true!!!!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Have you dry fired it yet to feel the trigger?

I know some purists argue against dry firing. But these firing pins were designed well. For those who worry, put a spent cartridge in there to prevent over travel of the pin, as the pin will hit the dimple in the primer and go no further.

Yeah, my late dates don't have near the strong smell as my old dudes do.

Now that I think about it, old dudes generally have a stronger smell than younger ones...

CDFingers <-- old dude
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

No I haven't, I was going to order a few dry fire practice rounds...I didn't want to dry fire her, I think her name is going to be "Veera". So far I've just, looked her over and taken a few photos. She looks like an army rifle, no ultra fine finish on the wood work. Nicely done, a few plugs to replace knots...probably done originally at the factory...goes with the save everything and throw nothing away attitude!!!