Finnish Mosin Nagant M39, what's to know?

Okay, I've seen some fairly recent M39 on the market, 1968 and 1970. What would be the pro's and con's of getting the newer versus the 1940's models. I do know the receivers are all old, but what does the term "not issued" mean? So tell me what you know about your "Ukko Pekka".

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Finnish Mosin Nagant M39, what's to know?

sikacz wrote:
CDFingers wrote:The more you get into them, the more there is to get into.

Start:

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://mosinnagant.net/

CDFingers
Wow, thanks for the links! :beer2:
There's enough info on two websites alone to last you for a while. They are by far the best of their type.

Don't forget to visit their forums (I believe you already had a taste of gunboards).

Enjoy,

Xela

P.S. Leave those M/28-30's alone...THEY ARE ALL MINE!!!!
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

They all shoot pretty well.

I find the scuffed up war horses somehow more compelling than the spiffy no namers. I haven't shot any of my spiffy ones. My favorite shooter is a run of the mill 40's VKT, whose trigger breaks as cleanly as a politician's promise.

You know it's over when you start jonesing for an original m39 bayonet.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

edfromnj wrote:If you want a range use rifle, does it have to be a Finn? 91/30's are easier to obtain for less if you just want a rifle to shoot.
My vanilla 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 is maybe my favorite range rifle, in that I can hit anything I aim at with it, and shoot it a lot for very little money. If 30-06 for my Garand ever gets down to 15 cents per round, I may have to bump it, but until then...

sikacz wrote:
CDFingers wrote:It's all about the shooting. Blue is pretty and all, and it's always nice to have a few unshot ones. But the first one, you'll shoot.

Then it's all over.

CDFingers
I take it you wouldn't be concerned if it was 50%, 85% or 99%.
Pardon to jump in. When it comes to Finns, I really don't.

Xela

sikacz wrote:So is there a good criteria to select one over another other than....that one is calling me?
It really depends what you're interested in, and what you expect of your collection, if anything.

Are you hoping they will increase in value (they all do, and will), are you looking for shooters (they all are), are you looking for rare types and variations (they you're gonna want them ALL)...?

All in all, I think it really does come down to what your gut is telling you. That's what happened to me.

Xela

I've been contemplating a rifle for a while. Since I can't find ammo for my 9mm it would be nice to find a gun that I could actually shoot. I would love a left handed M28-76, but they are a bit steep and hard to find. Before we moved to the states in the mid 60's my dad had a Mosin Nagant, which he sold. I only remember it because I saw it once when I was under 6 years old. Didn't know what it was until just recently. It was probably an M28 or possibly M27 more likely the latter. He picked it up cheap in the 50's and it was already old according to him. So it was probably the first rifle I saw up close and personal. I'm not collecting anything to make money, just to enjoy and shoot. At the moment I'm still a bit short, but my ammo fund is almost at the price of the rifles in the link I posted. :yes: So for fun is my biggest excuse. Besides, I'd love to go take my dad to the range, pull out a Mosin and see how long it takes him to recognize it....a little reminder of his service days! :w00t:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wlewisiii wrote:What is the most common model (aka cheapest) Finn available here in the US? And did they make any carbine length rifles?
Some of the experts here can probably correct me but a "RV" version was produced...model may have been based on the M27 which was the standard military rifle prior to the continuation war. It's probably rare.

sikacz wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:What is the most common model (aka cheapest) Finn available here in the US? And did they make any carbine length rifles?
Some of the experts here can probably correct me but a "RV" version was produced...model may have been based on the M27 which was the standard military rifle prior to the continuation war. It's probably rare.
Yes. That one is rare, and so are the sniper rifles, of course:
http://mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp

I believe the M39 is the most common Finn available in the US. And that's the one I've come across the most.

The cheapest? Well, there's the rub. That's one of the things that fascinates me about these babies, you can still find some of them very cheap when the owners/stores don't know what they have. I got mine for a hundred bucks at a pawn shop about 15 years ago. And they run around 600-1350 bucks amongst collectors depending on the variation.

On the other hand, a lot of people are realizing what they have, thanks to places like gunboards and 7.6x54.

Check out the gunboards WTS/WTT section to get a better idea on prices amongst collectors.

Xela