HELP! I can't decide!

So now that I have some income and am pretty well stabilized, I've saved up for another milsurp rifle and I'm caught between 2. The first is a Gewehr 98 made by Mauser for the Turkish and it's in pretty rough shape but the pics I have been sent of the barrel look promising.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =401212802

The other is an early production 1891 Argentine Mauser in excellent shape.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =402911599

I like the 98 because 1) it's a 98, 2) I have goodies to reload 8mm Mauser, and 3) It'll be another rifle towards my WWI collection (sorta).
I like the 1891 because 1) it's the first rifle built soley for smokeless powder, 2) it's in much better shape, and 3) it's counted as an antique.

Which one is the better deal?
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Re: HELP! I can't decide!

I don't know which is the better deal, but that Argie is pretty dang sharp, and I like pretty guns. I might be bidding against you.
jk :D
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

6mm Remington dies
Press
Powder
Brass
Projectiles
Pimers

Much better investment right now.

Though I'll admit the Argy would seriously temp me. Interesting rifles & historically important.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:6mm Remington dies
Press
Powder
Brass
Projectiles
Pimers

Much better investment right now.

Though I'll admit the Argy would seriously temp me. Interesting rifles & historically important.
Already have that through some trades with a local.
To the savings account, I have one. I'm using cash I've saved from gunsmithing for opprotunities like this.

Fukshot wrote:WAKE UP! WAKE UP! Wake up and see the distraction and dissipation ruling the life of your caretaker! Awake and remind him of his true purpose!

Never shush a mean old witch, my friend. It tends not to work out for you.

:(

M4Builder wrote:So now that I have some income and am pretty well stabilized, I've saved up for another milsurp rifle and I'm caught between 2. The first is a Gewehr 98 made by Mauser for the Turkish and it's in pretty rough shape but the pics I have been sent of the barrel look promising.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =401212802

The other is an early production 1891 Argentine Mauser in excellent shape.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =402911599

I like the 98 because 1) it's a 98, 2) I have goodies to reload 8mm Mauser, and 3) It'll be another rifle towards my WWI collection (sorta).
I like the 1891 because 1) it's the first rifle built soley for smokeless powder, 2) it's in much better shape, and 3) it's counted as an antique.

Which one is the better deal?
I have an Argentine 1891 and a 1909. Beautiful rilfes - love 'em. If I were you, though, I'd hold out for one with an intact crest. The Turk looks like a basket case . My advice would be to look for option 3.

Argentine.

The bore is "dark and pitted" on the Gewehr 98.

Both of these were on my watch list as well.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Heh. Cute responses.

The Argentinian will be a good shooter right now. Just buy some 7.65x53 dies and use the same bullets as for 7.62x54R and have fun. Yeah, a crest is nice if you get into them and start collecting but they are slightly different from later Mausers and you may find that you'd rather concentrate on 98 based ones. But this one won't lose value if you don't overpay to begin with.

That Mauser is only worth buying for the action. Get it cheap enough & put a .257 Roberts AI/7x57/whatever barrel on it and in a Boyd's stock and you can have a useful rifle.

I'd rather get the Argentinian and head for the range.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Thats a nice looking 91, I've seen those go for a lot more complete with matching #s. From my research the only ones that have the crest are carbines. A full length rifle with the crest would go for a premium.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

DispositionMatrix wrote:Argentine.

The bore is "dark and pitted" on the Gewehr 98.

Both of these were on my watch list as well.
It looks tight though going off the bullet in the muzzle test. Though I may hold off a little bit to get one in about as good of condition as my No.1 Mk III* and it doesn't look bad for a 104 year old rifle. IF I don't find anything by the time I get enough for my F-class stock then I'll finish that up.

This is the F-class stock: http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html