Remington Recall on Model 7 and 700 Rifles

Apparently not drop safe.

http://xmprecall.remington.com/
WARNING:
STOP USING YOUR RIFLE. Any unintended discharge has the potential for causing injury or death. Immediately stop using your rifle until Remington can inspect it to determine if the XMP trigger has excess bonding agent used in the assembly process, which could cause an unintentional discharge and, if so, specialty clean and restore it to a safe operating condition. If you own a rifle subject to this recall, Remington will provide shipping, inspection, specialty cleaning, and return at no cost to you. DO NOT attempt to diagnose or repair your rifle yourself.
Last edited by MudPuppy98 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
some days, I just don't English

Re: Remington Recall on Model 7 and 700 Rifles

wlewisiii wrote:Yet another reason to avoid Remlin.
+1.

Nowadays, whenever I hear someone say, "Who needs an ar-15", I think anyone who can't trust popular bolt/lever/pump guns anymore (from once reputable companies) as reliability and quality control have now dropped off.

* A tad overly dramatic, but you get my point.
Fukshot wrote:I wonder what I would get if I sent them a takeoff barrel and a bag of hacked trigger parts.
They'd probably send you a suppliers invoice.

CowboyT wrote:
curtism1234 wrote:I guess they learned their lesson from their previous trigger disaster - at least they are willing to publicly admit the problem this time.
What previous trigger disaster are you referring to?
Misfiring Controversy[edit]
On 20 October 2010, CNBC televised a program, Remington Under Fire: a CNBC Investigation, reporting that the trigger mechanism used prior to 2007 on the model 700 could fire without the trigger being squeezed. The report stated that Remington has received thousands of customer complaints since the firing mechanism was introduced in the 1940s, and that nearly two dozen deaths and hundreds of injuries had been attributed to inadvertent discharges of 700 series rifles. Through internal Remington documents, the program showed that on multiple occasions, the company considered recalling the product.

The inventor of the firing mechanism, Merle "Mike" Walker, 98 years old at the time of the documentary, told CNBC he proposed what he called a safer trigger in 1948 while the product was still in the testing stage. Walker said his enhanced design was rejected because of the added cost, 5 1/2 cents per gun (adjusted for inflation: $0.54).[19] Critics of the documentary countered that every incident featured on the program involving loss of life was the result of firearms mishandling where owners pointed their rifles at other human beings.[20] Remington responded with the website Remington Model 700 Network which gives direct rebuttals to the program, and their perspective on the incidents the program makes claims about.[21] Remington dismisses the allegations, pointing out that in every case either trigger mechanisms of the rifles were adjusted or altered beyond recommended specifications,[22] rifles were poorly maintained and left to rust, or the misuser of the rifle admitted to police they might "possibly" have pulled the trigger.[21]

Though Remington has since changed to a new, cheaper, trigger mechanism design, the original Walker trigger continues in production to meet the needs of the US military and buyers of custom rifles.[21]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_ ... ontroversy

In the end, I just stick to Mauser based rifles :smart:
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

CowboyT wrote:
curtism1234 wrote:I guess they learned their lesson from their previous trigger disaster - at least they are willing to publicly admit the problem this time.
What previous trigger disaster are you referring to?
Sorry, their safety issue. I tend to lump all accidental discharges into 1 category :hmmm:

For almost 60 years they made a gun that they knew could accidentally fire. Their solution 7 years ago was to create a new trigger...which is now known for accidentally firing.

#epicfail :ras:

Ah, are you referring to the CNBC hit piece? I would remind everyone here that there's another side to this, and given how anti-2A NBC has proved to be to the point of deceit, their credibility with me is now about zero. Those guns that supposedly fired themselves? Turns out one woman had her finger on the trigger and lied (and got caught in court) about not just that, but even who was holding the gun at the time. Another one of these "faulty trigger" rifles turned out to be rusted up like crazy; no gun that is in bad repair can be expected to function safely. The ones that the Marines claimed were going off w/o touching the trigger? Turns out they had seriously (and apparently incorrectly) adjusted the triggers. Yeah, I know, "highly trained Marines", just like those "highly trained police officers" who shot innocent bystanders, i. e. just 'cause they're Marines doesn't make 'em immune to making a mistake. Furthermore, Remington still makes sniper rifles with that supposedly "faulty" trigger for the very same US military because the military demands it. So, I see no "fiasco" here other than the one that anti-2A CNBC tried to make to get viewers riled up. Remember, they've done lies of omission before and even doctored audio and video to deceive their viewers (the Arizona black man w/ the AR-15 in 2009 and the Martin/Zimmerman 911 phone call, as just two examples). NBC is no more credible anymore than the National Enquirer. And that may be insulting the National Enquirer.

All that said, I think we all here agree that Remington is doing the correct thing by issuing a recall for this X-Mark Pro trigger issue.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/