Re: Bolt-Action .308 on the cheap

Went to my LGS over the weekend. The Savage Axis is pretty much the front runner. I liked the Ruger American's action slightly better, but the price point-wise, the Axis beats it. The fact I get a 3-9x40mm Bushnell optic with the Savage is also a big plus.

As an aside, I also looked at the Mossberg MVP as it takes .223 STANAG mags. Neat concept though not really what I'm looking for in terms of a long-range, hunting firearm. If you'd like to use the cheap .223 and detest ARs, it might be a viable option.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:Went to my LGS over the weekend. The Savage Axis is pretty much the front runner. I liked the Ruger American's action slightly better, but the price point-wise, the Axis beats it. The fact I get a 3-9x40mm Bushnell optic with the Savage is also a big plus.

As an aside, I also looked at the Mossberg MVP as it takes .223 STANAG mags. Neat concept though not really what I'm looking for in terms of a long-range, hunting firearm. If you'd like to use the cheap .223 and detest ARs, it might be a viable option.
I'll add a vote for one of the Savage rifles. The ability to easily change barrels, stocks and triggers in the future should also be considered a major plus, particularly when coupled with the aftermarket for the platform. Today's .223 plinker could become tomorrow's 6mm benchrest gun.

spara wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:
spara wrote:Just curious, has anyone on the forum purchased a CMP Garand and what do you think of them?
Uh...way off topic. Please post your own. KTHXBYE.
Well, I guess it isn't cheap as in under $500, but it is a .308.
Not unless you're getting a conversion or one of the few Navy Garands (...that haven't been on CMP in quite a while, and definitely aren't under $500). The Garand is 30-06 (or 7mm-08 if you're awesome like Fukshot).

atxgunguy wrote:I clearly said Bolt Action in .308. Asking about CMP in a completely irrelevant thread is pretty stupid. The fact we're several posts down this tangential road, I'd like to stop this hijack here and now otherwise I'll just kill the whole thread.

Stop. It. Please.
Oh, chill out dude! This is the LGC. Don't make me be a mod! ;)
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

At any rate, I do appreciate most of the input thus far. Today I've been reading about the Savage 110-series. They're on the edge of my budget but seem to be worth the extra cost due to the Accutrigger and slightly beefier bedded stock.

What I would like to know is if there are perhaps some out of production bolt action 308s that might be worth a bit of TLC, while still staying sub-$500

I still will tell you to look for an XL-7 but a used Savage 111 can be a screaming deal too. Two at the local pawn shop right now - one for $300 the other for $350, both .30-06 & with Bushnell scopes. Might want to go pawn fishing where you live?
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:I still will tell you to look for an XL-7 but a used Savage 111 can be a screaming deal too. Two at the local pawn shop right now - one for $300 the other for $350, both .30-06 & with Bushnell scopes. Might want to go pawn fishing where you live?
Yep. That's my plan for July 4th weekend. I'm hitting a ton of places with cash at the ready.

fknauss wrote:Hey, I'd get this if I was still shopping for a hunting rifle. Worth noting that it's a carbine - 20" barrel. But reviews seem to think it live up to its 1MOA rep.
Ooh. That's was out of contention due to the high retail cost, but if I could manage a steal of a deal...it's freaking on! I'm really hoping the bolt action market is as flush with good deals as the interwebs would suggest.

atxgunguy wrote:While I'm waiting for the off-chance a CZ-527 in 7.62x39mm comes on the market, I'll pine for a another that is actually available.

I'm looking at rifles under $500...not factoring in a good optic. Definitely not looking to plink anything past 300-400 yards as my vision and ability just isn't there.

After scouring the interwebs, I'm down to five contenders:

1. Ruger American (best overall in terms of features, accuracy, and reliability)
2. Marlin X7 (chosen for name recognition and overall reliability)
3. Savage Axis (points for style and affordability)
4. Howa Hogue (may have been ranked higher, but lacked brand recognition for me)
5. Mossberg 100 ATR (chosen mostly for what you get out the box for under $400)

Of course, I'm sure I missed some. Any other suggestions are welcomed. It must be chambered .308 and bolt-action.
I'm looking into the 556 version of the Mossberg MVP, I know they have the "patrol" version in 308, but they will likely have the other versions in 308 soon. Great part about the MVP is they take AR magazines, although I don't know about the 308 mags.

JimSteel wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:While I'm waiting for the off-chance a CZ-527 in 7.62x39mm comes on the market, I'll pine for a another that is actually available.

I'm looking at rifles under $500...not factoring in a good optic. Definitely not looking to plink anything past 300-400 yards as my vision and ability just isn't there.

After scouring the interwebs, I'm down to five contenders:

1. Ruger American (best overall in terms of features, accuracy, and reliability)
2. Marlin X7 (chosen for name recognition and overall reliability)
3. Savage Axis (points for style and affordability)
4. Howa Hogue (may have been ranked higher, but lacked brand recognition for me)
5. Mossberg 100 ATR (chosen mostly for what you get out the box for under $400)

Of course, I'm sure I missed some. Any other suggestions are welcomed. It must be chambered .308 and bolt-action.
I'm looking into the 556 version of the Mossberg MVP, I know they have the "patrol" version in 308, but they will likely have the other versions in 308 soon. Great part about the MVP is they take AR magazines, although I don't know about the 308 mags.
The Patrol is getting a bit spendy, but it's definitely a consideration if some shop has one priced right. I don't think I can get one for under 6 bills.

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:I managed to sneak my Savage 10T out the door do Cabela's for under 6 bills. If you've got a little wiggle room in the budget definitely swing for the Accu-Trigger. Fan-fucking-tastic!
Ah, that was the one I shot at Lone Star this past Spring. I just might have to do some creative financing or wait it a bit longer. :hmmm:

atxgunguy wrote:I clearly said Bolt Action in .308. Asking about CMP in a completely irrelevant thread is pretty stupid. The fact we're several posts down this tangential road, I'd like to stop this hijack here and now otherwise I'll just kill the whole thread.

Stop. It. Please.
My bad, confused the Springfields and Garands when I looked at the CMP page. Sorry for the drift.

spara wrote:

Stop. It. Please.
My bad, confused the Springfields and Garands when I looked at the CMP page. Sorry for the drift.
No worries. It happens. Apologies for being a little punchy.

curtism1234 wrote:Something else to think about is whether or not you like, dislike, or don't know if you like 2 stage / accu-trigger type triggers. Me personally, I absolutely hate them :hmmm:

So you might want to consider whether or not Timney or Rifle Basix makes a single stage trigger for the guns on your shortlist just in case.
Definitely not the biggest fan of 2 stage triggers on pistols, though I don't have much experience with them in rifles. If it doesn't require a gunsmith, I'd probably go down the road of drop-in Timney trigger group.

I usually go slow with add-ons until I figure out what I need.

Inevitably, I usually buy a gun only to discover something better six months down the road.

....but I guess that also goes for everyone else. :think: