Adjustable gas blocks?

OK, I'm going to start messing with my AR upper (honestly, if you're not going to tinker with it, buy something other than an AR ;) )

Anyway, I'm replacing the gas block with a low profile one so I can get the handguard I want.

Any appreciable benefit to an adjustable gas block when shooting 7.62x39?

I'll be shooting Wolf non-corrosive bi-metal hollow points, plus whatever I can get post-Russia sanctions.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Adjustable gas blocks?

I'm currently playing with an adjustable gas key and a low mass bolt for 5.56 AR. So far, I haven't been able to successfully cycle the bolt despite closing the key completely. I can throw my regular bolt in and it cycles just fine, even ran it at match. So I think my next step is to put a lighter buffer either JP or Taccom, or maybe I'll just pull some of the weights out. What I've found out is that once you start playing around with the gas block you'll probably need to look at your bolt, buffer, and buffer spring.

senorgrand wrote:OK, I'm going to start messing with my AR upper (honestly, if you're not going to tinker with it, buy something other than an AR ;) )

Anyway, I'm replacing the gas block with a low profile one so I can get the handguard I want.

Any appreciable benefit to an adjustable gas block when shooting 7.62x39?

I'll be shooting Wolf non-corrosive bi-metal hollow points, plus whatever I can get post-Russia sanctions.
Not really. The main reason for adjustable blocks is for the folks running suppressors and certain SBR setups. If it ain't broke, and all that.

If worst came to worst, you could turn off the gas and remove the gas tube and have a bolt action ar.... That's about the only advantage I can think of- as Swissdog points out, without a much shorter barrel or suppression.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Actually, adjustable gas blocks are handy if you do 3gun. Paper rifle targets require either 1 shot in the Alpha zone or 2 shots anywhere in the targets. You can guess that most people just take two shots. Having an adjustable gas block (low mass BCG) and the appropriate buffer/spring can reduce felt recoil and muzzle rise. So when the game is just putting two shots on target as fast as you can, people try to eek out as much performance out of their rifle. They also tune their rifles to their ammunition.

Some clubs will let you use a 7.62x39 for heavy metal division, but I think that's a case-by-case basis. They use steel for precision shooting. The rules say a minimum of 70 yards for 5.56 on steel, but precision shooting can range out to 400 yards or more. Fun, especially after you've been running around with an elevated heart rate.

Adjustable gas blocks?

shinzen wrote:BCM makes some of the best stuff in the industry. And it's cheap for a low-profile gas block from them:
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/ ... ct_id=3300

Double check the size, I think that barrel is .750
+1 on BCM. Hard to find people who are unsatisfied with their rifles or components. Great company with a great product (I have one or two myself).

I never saw an adjustable gas block as a necessity unless you're running a suppressor. Noveske makes a great adjustable gas system for running suppressors. I believe it's called the "Switchblock."