More range fun... not...

So, being bored I thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather and new target backstops and took the Remington out to the range.

I'd had it close to zeroed at 25 yards so I hung a target on the 100 yard backstop.

Three shots. Not on the paper.

I look down and notice that the scope has moved in the rings - left some nice scuff marks on the aluminum tube. :wall: They're as tight as i can get them. I took the scope out to reseat it and note that the mounts are wiggly. :wall: :wall:

So I shot up 100 rounds of new reloads in the .45 and came home. They all worked well - I love that RIA.

So I've taken the mounts off and set them aside. For now I think I'll stick to irons until I can get to a gun shop that can mount & boresight the scope properly. Wish I knew of one around here... I'm going to try to swing by my FLGS in the morning and ask if he knows someplace.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: More range fun... not...

I seem to be the king of shooting my sights loose. And when I try to fix it, I am the king of getting loctite in all the wrong places.

I got a sight ring lapper, and since I did my rings have decided to cooperate, just out of fear. Still haven't used it, but my problems have gone away.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

I honestly can't tell any difference. The GI is what I got used to in the Army so I've left it in. I like that I can take it apart without needing a bushing tool but that's really the only difference I can see in the two styles. Shoots the same, feels the same, so it's a matter of taste. If I hadn't been so used to the old army beasts I'd probably have never given it a second thought.

I do need to tweek the rear sight a bit to the right but that's another story... ;)
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

fknauss wrote:I seem to be the king of shooting my sights loose. And when I try to fix it, I am the king of getting loctite in all the wrong places.

I got a sight ring lapper, and since I did my rings have decided to cooperate, just out of fear. Still haven't used it, but my problems have gone away.
Hah! I'll have to remember that threat to tell my rifle :laugh:
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

brandonsmash wrote:I like Leupold rings, and Bass Pro Shops will mount and boresight riflescopes for free.
I bought the Leupold Rifleman rings for my new .308 bolt action. Are they good as-is, or do I need to use the often requisite Blue Locktite to keep them from falling apart?
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:
brandonsmash wrote:I like Leupold rings, and Bass Pro Shops will mount and boresight riflescopes for free.
I bought the Leupold Rifleman rings for my new .308 bolt action. Are they good as-is, or do I need to use the often requisite Blue Locktite to keep them from falling apart?
A little blue Locktite won't hurt ya, just be sure to have everything set the way you want it with the screws all properly torqued, then pull one screw at a time, apply the Locktite, replace, and move to the next one.
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:
A little blue Locktite won't hurt ya, just be sure to have everything set the way you want it with the screws all properly torqued, then pull one screw at a time, apply the Locktite, replace, and move to the next one.
And don't overdo it on the thread locker, really. Just a small dab is fine, and get yourself a lb./in. torque wrench for the final torque settings.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

Rem222 wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:
Rem222 wrote:Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. :thumbup:

Jim
You mean like these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154833 ... uctFinding
That would be them. I prefer the Signature Zee's that fit the Weaver style bases. NEVER had a scope slip in them.

Jim
Any idea of how thick those inserts are? Wondering if I could use them in my Mosin repro mount.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:
Rem222 wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:
Rem222 wrote:Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. :thumbup:

Jim
You mean like these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154833 ... uctFinding
That would be them. I prefer the Signature Zee's that fit the Weaver style bases. NEVER had a scope slip in them.

Jim
Any idea of how thick those inserts are? Wondering if I could use them in my Mosin repro mount.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
They're hard to measure the thickness, I tried :yes: . Thin at the edges and thick in the middle. They only fit the Signature rings, as far as I am aware of.

Jim