Advice on AKs. Let's do it again!

Unfortunately, I will soon be receiving a quite modest inheritance, and would like to invest some money in firearms (shooters). I have read on some sites that the recent ban on Russian imports will affect the availability of AKs (See the note in big red letters at the top of the linked page). Knowing that most AKs don't come from Russia, I can see through the fear-mongering, but I do not doubt its effectiveness at starting another panic.

So, long story short, I plan to buy an AK sooner rather than later, and am considering two options halfway down this page - the Zastava NPAP for $529 or the one underneath it - the WASR 10 (with some accessories) for $515. I have a feeling those prices will be going up soon.

Your comments for or against these choices are most welcome. Feel free to recommend other options in the same price range, but I am partial to wood furniture for the classic look - not looking for a folder or plastic. Are there other versions that would be fun shooters while appreciating more in value? Has Century Arms' QC gone up lately? I've heard horror stories of canted sights and ill-fitting magazines, etc; yet I've read that Atlantic Firearms has a good reputation.

Also, despite my strong Google fu, am I missing a better deal somewhere else?
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

Re: Advice on AKs. Let's do it again!

tj1371x wrote:But yeah, I'm hearing that the Russian imports are a no-go after the sanctions. Not sure what that means for domestic retailers like Atlantic Firearms who may already have a shit load of Saiga kits and Saiga sporters in supply.
Depends on if the retailer paid for em before import. If your money would in anyway return to Kalishnikov then they'll be locked down and possibly shipped back to the Motherland. If the retailer was able to buy them before import and all money goes to them then you'd be fine.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Thanks for all the responses so far. In this and other threads, I certainly get the consensus that Arsenals are among the best AKs, but a bit out of my price range. And, unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't I have to spend another $200 to put aftermarket wood furniture on it?

I didn't mention - as my OP was wordy enough - my total budget is going to be +/- $1500, but I also want to buy a Swiss K31 and a safe. So the AK budget is $500-$700.

However, the thought of an Arsenal with nice walnut furniture is certainly appealing . . . . . . :hmmm:
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison

tj1371x wrote:Check that guide I posted earlier, it will serve you well for your budget concerns. Ironwood Designs or Combloc Customs are your go to for nicely finished AK furniture. I'm a sucker for Walnut and Red Russian. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Waffen Werks nowadays . . . . .
Yes, thanks for the link :thumbup: - I've been reading the hell out of it (not all 8 pages yet, though) great pics and the order of quality listing (albeit subjective) is a big help.

Does WW even make a 47 yet? I guess I should have explained that, having an SKS, I want to keep my ammo needs simple and stick to 7.62x39 (although the ammo prices are similar). The WW AK74 is sold out at Atlantic Firearms for now, but Classic Firearms has some for $660; $615 with Grade B "needs replacing" wood - which might be a better option if going for new furniture. It certainly puts it in my ballpark price range.

Head up to PHX and have a day with my NPAP. :)

I have an NPAP with a synthetic stock and grip. I need to purchase wood furniture for it, because the plastic stuff is awful.

Other than that, there are a few quirks of the NPAP. Removing the dust cover is kind of a pain in the butt compared to my other AK (a Maadi I sold in error a year ago) and, while effective, the side mount for an optics platform feels kind of chintzy. Since the dust cover isn't of normal size I couldn't just slap on my tri-rail cover, either.

One other note is that the magwell is a tight fit. It vastly prefers metal mags. I've had mixed luck with Tapco and other third-party magazines.

That said, it's a good shooter. I just wish I'd kept my Maadi.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

brandonsmash wrote:Head up to PHX and have a day with my NPAP. :)

I have an NPAP with a synthetic stock and grip. I need to purchase wood furniture for it, because the plastic stuff is awful.

Other than that, there are a few quirks of the NPAP. Removing the dust cover is kind of a pain in the butt compared to my other AK (a Maadi I sold in error a year ago) and, while effective, the side mount for an optics platform feels kind of chintzy. Since the dust cover isn't of normal size I couldn't just slap on my tri-rail cover, either.

One other note is that the magwell is a tight fit. It vastly prefers metal mags. I've had mixed luck with Tapco and other third-party magazines.

That said, it's a good shooter. I just wish I'd kept my Maadi.
IIRC, the NPAP sights aren't the greatest in terms of the AK platform.

That said, you really can't go wrong with Zastava. For something under $600, it's super fun to shoot and pretty much indestructible.
LGC Texas - Vice President

brandonsmash wrote:Head up to PHX and have a day with my NPAP. :) . . .
Thanks for the invitation - I may take you up on it once the haboobs subside.

After a lot of advice, research, and consideration, the NPAP is presently at the top of my list. The only reason it's not a done deal is mainly the old issue (or non-issue) of chrome vs non-chrome barrels.
atxgunguy wrote:IIRC, the NPAP sights aren't the greatest in terms of the AK platform . . . .
Is it the sights themselves, or the higher comb on the stock? I've read a few reviews saying the NPAP stock is great for optics; not so great for iron sights.

Aztex999 wrote: After a lot of advice, research, and consideration, the NPAP is presently at the top of my list. The only reason it's not a done deal is mainly the old issue (or non-issue) of chrome vs non-chrome barrels.
On an AK it won't matter either way. Even on an AR it doesn't unless you plan to shoot matches with it.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Aztex999 wrote:

After a lot of advice, research, and consideration, the NPAP is presently at the top of my list. The only reason it's not a done deal is mainly the old issue (or non-issue) of chrome vs non-chrome barrels.
atxgunguy wrote:IIRC, the NPAP sights aren't the greatest in terms of the AK platform . . . .
Is it the sights themselves, or the higher comb on the stock? I've read a few reviews saying the NPAP stock is great for optics; not so great for iron sights.
The iron sights themselves. I could describe the sight picture as....non-existent, especially past 25 yards.

Aztex999 wrote:

It's the stock. The high rise of the stock forces you to jam your cheek way down against the stock to line up a sight picture. Firing more than a couple rounds is very uncomfortable at best. The sights are fine, but the buttstock is abhorrent. Attaching a side-mounted Picatinny setup allowed me to install my Veber red dot, which makes the gun MUCH better to shoot.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

brandonsmash wrote:
Aztex999 wrote:

It's the stock. The high rise of the stock forces you to jam your cheek way down against the stock to line up a sight picture. Firing more than a couple rounds is very uncomfortable at best. The sights are fine, but the buttstock is abhorrent. Attaching a side-mounted Picatinny setup allowed me to install my Veber red dot, which makes the gun MUCH better to shoot.
Maybe that's it. My buddy's was a factory model with no frills, shooting it out of the box was an unmitigated disaster.

atxgunguy wrote: Maybe that's it. My buddy's was a factory model with no frills, shooting it out of the box was an unmitigated disaster.
I already had the red dot and had planned on using it anyway so it was a no-brainer to spend a few bucks on the rail system. If I were sticking with iron sights, however, I would absolutely, 100% put a better set of furniture on the gun. Plus, the synthetic stuff is ugly anyway.

Once you get used to the different takedown procedure it isn't bad, and the NPAP sure does shoot straight. It also comes factory with a G2 trigger group which is a HUGE improvement.

I have an OPAP. If you can find one around 500 - 600 dollars, get it. They are no more being made. Mine cost me 600 dollars in January and I am seeing them for 900 on Gun broker now. Or check out an Egyptian Maadi if you find one.

As far as AK-74's, I thought the 7n6 cheap imported ammo dried up due to the ATF ruling?
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

GeorgiaRN wrote:I have an OPAP. If you can find one around 500 - 600 dollars, get it. They are no more being made. Mine cost me 600 dollars in January and I am seeing them for 900 on Gun broker now. Or check out an Egyptian Maadi if you find one.

As far as AK-74's, I thought the 7n6 cheap imported ammo dried up due to the ATF ruling?
7N6 is still available, but the sanctions might end that soon. I don't know if the sanctions cover ammo, but isn't a lot of "Russian" ammo made all over eastern Europe?

As for O-PAPs - the best deal I can find is $729 $579 (but out of stock). But you're right - from an investment point of view, it's probably a good choice. None of the guns I currently own are being manufactured any longer. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for a K31, too.

Ironically, a search that started because of speculation of unavailability has me now looking at the one AK variant that will probably always be available - the Centurion 39. I can't find a bad review of them anywhere, and the dark laminate model would match my SKS nicely. Under $600, milled receiver, chrome barrel, G2 trigger, brand-new furniture, side mount for optics, and it laughs at the thought of 922r compliance. :thumbup:

ETA: Correction - it was out of stock yesterday at $600 - today it's back on the shelves at $650.
ETA: Another correction - the $650 model is chrome-lined; the $600 model is not. Prices seem to be keeping steady; some are going down, so it looks like there's no buying panic for AKs. Maybe all the panic buyers have all their money tied up in .22LR. ;)

I've dealt with the boys at Atlantic. Can't go wrong there.

Not a fan of Yugo AK's. No particular reason. Just don't like 'em.

Another endorsement of Bulgarian Arsenal.

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
- The Last Words of Pancho Villa

I own 2 Zastavas and surplus Serbian jacket. (I may get a M57 to complete the outfit.) I have an OPAP and an M92 ak pistol.

My suggestion: I would get an OPAP while there are still some left. Especially if you can get one with the Zastava crest on the butt stock. They are hard to find. Whatever OPAPs are on the market are the last of them. The OPAP has an RPK receiver vs an AKM receiver. The other argument against the other PAPs have been the single stack bolt. The OPAP has a double stack, as opposed to the single stack. The OPAP is a bit heavier and is made from military surplus parts. The wood comes in almost unfinished so it easy to stain and finish.

Crap I am having trouble finding one for sale. http://www.slickguns.com/product/cai-yu ... rrel-64995

Crap I thought this was a new thread didnt see my own post... I just got caught in a thread necromancy cult.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT