Re: messed-up my AR...help!

senorgrand wrote:I just added a new handguard, gas tube and low profile gas block to my Evil Lawful Neutral Black Rifle. Now it's a single shot rifle!

Fires one rounds and then won't cycle.

I shot 7.62x39 Wolf through this thing just fine before.

I'm thinking it could be some of the following

1) Misaligned gas block. Maybe the barrel hole isn't spot-on?
2) The new gas tube had packing grease in the roll pin hole. Maybe there's some blocking the port?
3) Dirty action. I'm pretty sure I didn't clean my AR after my last trip. :(

I figured I would clean it and maybe test the gas return system with an air compressor.

Anything else?
I know the gas block I got from yankee hill machine needs to be set the thickness of a handguard retaining plate(is that what they are called) forward of that little step just behind the gas hole. I draw some location lines woth a pencil to get good allignment from side to side, and move the gas block toward the muzzle by the thickness of that stamped metal plate. Viola, good gas block alignment.

senorgrand wrote:Ha! So when you install the gas tube into the gas block, be sure to do it right side up. :blink:

After THAT, I carefully measured and reinstalled the gas block.

Just shot 60 rounds at the range! :yahoo:
Wow...how does the gas key on your bolt carrier look?
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Ha! So when you install the gas tube into the gas block, be sure to do it right side up. :blink:

No idea. Has to be cleaner than the part of the barrel I kept blasting because I couldn't find the port hole. ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Nice shooting. Looks like a fun day at the range! It performs really well btw with 25.5 grains of Reloader #7 and a 123gr Hornady Zombiemax bullet. Never did work up a load with H335, but Lymans likes it. :whistle:
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

senorgrand wrote:
ErikO wrote:

No idea. Has to be cleaner than the part of the barrel I kept blasting because I couldn't find the port hole. ;)
True, not having it reset under power should keep the sides of the key from impacting the gas tube. I had one that got a little bent out of true and tore up a gas key a bit. A little file work and it operates but looks horrible. At some point I'll get the gas key staking jig and replace it.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.