Re: Ares SCR

fknauss wrote:
remarkably similar to my Primary Arms 1-4
Oh shit we have matching stuff! We can't go out like this!
It's ok, mine's on my DPMS 22lr Bull barrel upper :D
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

To assuage worries:

That not legal looking bushmaster is a preban - I registered it before the ban went into effect, and it is grandfathered. It does in fact have just about all of the prohibited things, so it mostly lives in my safe.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

So, I took it out to the desert to do some shooting.

It has the potential to be a very nice rifle, except the trigger (seriously well over 15 lbs) probably gave me RSI and I'll never shoot again.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Interesting. A bad trigger can ruin a gun- I wonder if any of the parts (springs) can be swapped out for better ones? Total bummer that drop in AR triggers won't work. How was the sproing, or was there not any?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

No sproing. Didn't notice it while I was shooting, but It was one of the things I liked about it. In fact, I liked everything but the trigger. It's light, the trigger location wrt the stock feels right, LOP is good, it's very nice weight and I feel less impacted by recoil than I do with my AR. The charging handle is a regular AR charging handle - it's kind of a pain to get behind, but if I just treat it as a left handed bolt, it works fine (I need to use the left hand to drop the mag, too, because the release is too far forward for the trigger finger.)

I only shot about 40-50 rounds, and it smoothed out a bit, but it's still super heavy. I now feel like I have the onset of tendonitis in my hand. Ima send them an email, and see if they say anything about being able to swap out springs. Every review I've read mentions a heavy trigger, but not how heavy. I can't be the first person to want to bring it down to the 4-5 lb range.

Join!

When the rifle first came out and details about the recoil system were released, there were comparisons to an auto-loading shotgun design (Remington model something-or-other) that the SCR was based on, which also had a crummy trigger. Still, it's a bummer that they didn't just drop in a USGI combat trigger, but that is probably due to the nature of the design being different.

Hopefully, they'll work out the kinks.

As big as the aftermarket AR part market is I would give it just a little bit before parts start popping up. Also though I don't live in a state where the SCR fills a niche, I kind of want one. It's just an overall really neat concept and I hope they really take off. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

(side note, I <3 primary arms optics/mounts)

So, I shipped it off. and it came back with a vastly improved trigger. It'd be hard not to be improved form the crap it was, but it's actually good now. It now also has a bolt hold open, and I got a Raptor charging handle.

I'll have to put a couple hundred rounds through it to see how much more the trigger smoothes out, but even as is I think this is now a keeper.

Join!

Excellent. Given how poor it was, if they weren't able to make it far better, I suspect you'd have had it up on the selling block in short order.
- Maya Angelou

It really was craptastic. It looks like they replaced everything in the whole trigger - the old parts were silver, the new are coated black. The takeup is a titch course, but not horrible and it doesn't bleed into the break at all. I'm also quite happy with the new ambi charging handle - I'd recommend one even on a regular AR. On this, its almost a necessity.,

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/5BRQWsNTfy0[/youtu_be]

Join!

I'm a big fan the Raptor charging handle. It has spoiled me to any other. Just wish it wasn't so pricey. Mega has their new Slide Lock charging handle that looks likes it would feel similar, for a bit cheaper. Planing on trying it out for my future build.
Meh.