Turning money into smiles

at 39 cents a smile ;) Burned 150 rounds and managed to find 149 of the cases to form the core of my someday reloads...

Plus the other WWII type

(boy the sun washed those two out. Wish I'd noticed at the time.)

25 yards.

100 yardsh

No real analysis, need to learn the sights better and learn to aim better. Both USGI mags functioned flawlessly, one of my two Korean mags was good the other had a hard time feeding. I'm hoping it's a "break in" thing that will self correct in time.

But in the end, it was simply an hour & a half of pure fun.

And that was my whole desire in buying it. :D
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: Turning money into smiles

Yeah, it was a good time. Funny just how small those cartridges really are. Here's an image with all the rifle cartridges I currently own something for:

7.7x58 Arisaka, 7.62x53R, .30-06, 7.62x39, .30 Carbine & 7x57 Mauser

My two old USGI mags were flawless. One of the new Korean mags settled down by the end of the session but the other one didn't. I think the springs are a bit too strong actually causing the rifle to have a difficult time stripping the top round. If I had some dry carbon lube that might help too.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

This trip was function check and familiarization fire. This is, after all, a 69 year old rifle with an unknown history. I wanted to ensure it was fully functional before anything else. The sights were set to neutral and I was happy just to keep the shots on the cardboard today.

Now once I can afford a couple of more boxes of ammo, I'll go out and actually set up some proper sighting in targets and see what I am more able to do. These are not high accuracy weapons - 3 ~5 MOA is common.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Ah, trigger time. Ah, sweet. Good for ya! Sometimes it is a new consummation!

And as expressed in other responses, I too have somehow ended up with more spent brass than I created. Sometimes. Not all the time but ya know it happens.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

wlewisiii wrote:Yeah, it was a good time. Funny just how small those cartridges really are. Here's an image with all the rifle cartridges I currently own something for:
that's an interesting looking selection of war games. tabletop board games i guess? whatcha got?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:Yeah, it was a good time. Funny just how small those cartridges really are. Here's an image with all the rifle cartridges I currently own something for:
that's an interesting looking selection of war games. tabletop board games i guess? whatcha got?
Yep. I have a small selection.
Yom Kippur, Guadalajara, Rock of the Marne, Bastogne & Karelia '44 from the Standard Combat Series; A Victory Denied, A Victory Lost & A Victory Complete from the Victory series; World at War & Team Yankee for WWIII tactical; White Star Rising for WWII tactical; Squad Leader, Panzer Leader & Bitter Woods from Avalon Hill; Cobra, Sicily - the Race to Messina, Iron Tide - Panzers in the Ardennes & Salarno (on pre-order) from the PGG/Victory In The West series. I usually play Bitter Woods every December to remember the Bulge but this year will be Iron Tide instead.

For giggles, I'm working on a Victory In The West scenario on the Battles around Kasserine Pass in Feb 1942 where the US Army first faced the German army and Rommel won his last victory. When I was in Germany with the army in the 1980's, I was in the 1st Bn 13th Armor which fought there and I've been fascinated with the battle ever since.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

rolandson wrote:I'm wondering what the story is with the rocks on the bench myself...?
Just some small stones and .22 rimfire brass laying on the bench in the 25 yard lane. I don't know why. After I took the pictures of the firearms but before I started shooting I brushed them over to one side.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:For giggles, I'm working on a Victory In The West scenario on the Battles around Kasserine Pass in Feb 1942 where the US Army first faced the German army and Rommel won his last victory. When I was in Germany with the army in the 1980's, I was in the 1st Bn 13th Armor which fought there and I've been fascinated with the battle ever since.
I once met my best friend's uncle who was captured at Kasserine Pass, I believe he was tank driver, driving a Stuart tank.

spara wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:For giggles, I'm working on a Victory In The West scenario on the Battles around Kasserine Pass in Feb 1942 where the US Army first faced the German army and Rommel won his last victory. When I was in Germany with the army in the 1980's, I was in the 1st Bn 13th Armor which fought there and I've been fascinated with the battle ever since.
I once met my best friend's uncle who was captured at Kasserine Pass, I believe he was tank driver, driving a Stuart tank.
The Stuart's didn't fare too well there. The 1st Armored didn't know what they were doing, the commander was way too far in the rear & fell apart when attacked. Quite a few troops died or were captured unnecessarily.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:
spara wrote:
The Stuart's didn't fare too well there. The 1st Armored didn't know what they were doing, the commander was way too far in the rear & fell apart when attacked. Quite a few troops died or were captured unnecessarily.
He didn't speak highly of the Stuart, but it's always interesting to meet people who experienced historical events.