Anyone very knowledgeable about Swiss K31s?

After wanting one for quite a while, I bought a walnut stock K31; picked it up at my FFL yesterday.

Naturally, first thing I did when I got home was to look up the serial number to get its year of manufacture.
Trouble is, it's a 1955 (all matching numbers - 2502XX) - but the Swiss stopped using walnut in 1943 (I think). To make matters more confusing, there was a manufacture date of '51 inside the buttstock. (ETA - this is the manufacture date of the stock)

My first instinct is to return it to the dealer for a refund, but my relationship with them has already soured some (don't ask), and I don't feel like paying return postage and probably a 15% restocking fee. Plus, the rifle is in really good shape compared to most pictures of K31s I've seen. It's a dark wood - looks more like walnut than beech, but it has the "fish scale" marks along the top & bottom of the stock that I've read is a sure sign it's beech. Plus - I've seen a few dark wood K31s for sale that say they're beech - evidently there's light beech and dark beech . . . . :see_stars:

Anyway, I figure I need to do something quickly if I expect to return it or get any kind of refund. At the very least, they sell their beech rifles for $30 less than their walnut; I suppose I could just ask for a $30 credit on my credit card, and accept the fact that I have a very nice beech rifle.

What would you do? Is there any chance this is actually a walnut stock? I've looked all over swissrifles.com and can't find any information. A reputable dealer should know better, though, don'tcha think? I kind of feel like I've been had.
Last edited by Aztex999 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

Re: Anyone very knowledgeable about Swiss K31s?

I'd go for the adjustment, I think. I'd include pics of why it's really beech.

Then I'd find some good ammo and be happy with it.

I'd probably avoid that vendor after this as well but I'd not say who unless they're unreasonable about the adjustment.

Enjoy the rifle!
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

From Swissrifles.com:
During it’s production run there were several minor modifications made to the K31.

1934, the firing pin was made thinner.
1935, the receiver was hardened
1936, the magazine shell was hardened
1941, laminated stocks were tested, but rejected
1944, due to supply shortages, Chromium Molybdenum was use in place of Chromium Nickel Steel on various parts. This experiment proved unsuccessful.
1946, starting with serial number 868,901, beech rather than walnut was used for making the stocks.

The K31 stayed in front line service until 1958, when it was replaced by the Stgw57. K31s were still found with some Swiss Military units, well into the 1970s. The total production run was 528,230 carbines, beginning in 1933 and ceasing in 1958.

Also, this discussion might be helpful:
http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard ... BLLDBbit0Q
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

From ^^ that ^^ discussion
Comment #38 from that discussion wrote:Oh Ja!
The three 1955 K31s all have stocks produced in July 1951. Veeeery Interesting - but, I have no idea what it might mean.:lol
Sounds just like mine - I guess 1951 was a good year for beech stocks. In any case, I'm convinced there's a zero chance of this being a walnut stock, as ordered.
I have decided to call and talk to the dealer regarding my options; there's no reason to assume they'll be unaccommodating until I at least try. I'll update later with results - right now I've got a webinar to attend.

One more question - is it unusual for the magazine to interfere with moving the bolt forward? I have to press down on the follower to slide the bolt forward when the magazine is empty. On every YouTube video I've ever seen, this never happens when the uploader is demonstrating the bolt action. Maybe the spring needs to be compressed a bit?
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison

Aztex999 wrote:From ^^ that ^^ discussion
Comment #38 from that discussion wrote:Oh Ja!
The three 1955 K31s all have stocks produced in July 1951. Veeeery Interesting - but, I have no idea what it might mean.:lol
Sounds just like mine - I guess 1951 was a good year for beech stocks. In any case, I'm convinced there's a zero chance of this being a walnut stock, as ordered.
I have decided to call and talk to the dealer regarding my options; there's no reason to assume they'll be unaccommodating until I at least try. I'll update later with results - right now I've got a webinar to attend.

One more question - is it unusual for the magazine to interfere with moving the bolt forward? I have to press down on the follower to slide the bolt forward when the magazine is empty. On every YouTube video I've ever seen, this never happens when the uploader is demonstrating the bolt action. Maybe the spring needs to be compressed a bit?
This is by design. It's bolt hold-open feature. Yes, it's a little annoying to me too. Still a great rifle. Enjoy!

begemot wrote: This is by design. It's bolt hold-open feature. Yes, it's a little annoying to me too. Still a great rifle. Enjoy!
Thanks - I was hoping that might be the case.

As it stands, I emailed the dealer and they are being very cooperative, and have offered to send me a walnut stock rifle and pay return shipping for the one they sent. Unfortunately, my FFL is unavailable till Tuesday due to a weekend gun show. I assume he'll want another $30 transfer fee and have asked the dealer if they'll cover that, too.

If they will, I'll return it for a walnut stock; if they won't; I'll get reimbursed the $30 difference and enjoy my beech K31.
Either way, I've had worse weeks :D

ETA - the dealer will reimburse me $15 for the additional transfer fee - I have till Tuesday to decide . . .