Re: Talk to me about .308 semi-autos

Have the REM R25, and its a good shooting rifle. It is REM rebranded DPMS. Other than no recoil pad originally, o don't yhink it was as gard shooting as modt bolts I have shot. Haven't shot the others, though so can't speak to them. Plenty of build parts though, so for that aspect probably best way to go.

And do remember it was the original design before Stoner was asked to make a children's version in 5.56.
You can then also make an upper in the various 308 based cartridges. 260rem and .338 federal look really interesting.
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin” – Charles Darwin

M4Builder wrote:
CoMF wrote:
M4Builder wrote:The FAL. I've been lucky enough to shoot all 3 and as much as I loved the G3, the FAL was softer. The AR10 was just as rough as an M1A.
Thanks! I wonder if this is due in part to the FAL's gas regulator. In any case, I'll definitely put "range time with an FAL" on my "must do at least once in my lifetime" list. In your experience, how well does the LOP work for shorter statured shooters?
How short are we talking? I've only shot an original L1A1 and for me (5'11", pretty lanky) it was fine. Then again I prefer long LOPs on full size rifles.
Sorry I'm answering so late, but I'm just barely 5'6" with a 26" arm length at best.

CoMF wrote:
M4Builder wrote:
CoMF wrote:
M4Builder wrote:The FAL. I've been lucky enough to shoot all 3 and as much as I loved the G3, the FAL was softer. The AR10 was just as rough as an M1A.
Thanks! I wonder if this is due in part to the FAL's gas regulator. In any case, I'll definitely put "range time with an FAL" on my "must do at least once in my lifetime" list. In your experience, how well does the LOP work for shorter statured shooters?
How short are we talking? I've only shot an original L1A1 and for me (5'11", pretty lanky) it was fine. Then again I prefer long LOPs on full size rifles.
Sorry I'm answering so late, but I'm just barely 5'6" with a 26" arm length at best.
You should be fine then with the FAL but if it's too long, DSA makes a folding M4 stock for them so as long as you have a trigger housing for a folder, you could replace it.
http://www.dsarms.com/p-12541-fal-sa58- ... apter.aspx
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

So, ordered a PSA AR-10 stripped lower, looks like for the forseeable I'm going the AR-10 route.

There's a user over on /r/guns that seems to have had a good experience with his PTAC upper(w/PSA lower). My understanding is that PTAC only does phosphate AR-10 uppers, thoughts on phosphate v. Chrome? Otherwise I think I'll probably just get the PSA stainless upper kit.