Re: CMP Rocks (Another Garand Thread)

Darn it. I'm having trouble hitting minute of barn right now. Too many adjustments on the sights, and I've been just shooting steel. Maybe we can bring it down a notch -Swedish Mauser? I mean, it has a good handicap; it's a approaching the big 100, and it looks like hell. :sarcasm:

No problem; I'll just have to shoot the M1s more and figure it all out.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

bigmike0301 wrote:
shinzen wrote:With all the new owners of Garands, I'm thinking it's time for another WW2 vintage rifle postal match!
Yeah, and I've been thinking about this for a while: some kind of combined "Rifles of WW2" at the annual meeting in Austin shoot off / postal match?
It would be rather easy for me to bring my M1...but not sure how much pain it would incur on those traveling via plane to the meeting.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

pdoggeth wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Sweet!
What did the throat erosion and muzzle measure at?
Hmmm, this I do not know, and I did not order a throat erosion gauge either. I'm going on faith of the CMP's claim of less than 5 for throat erosion and < "3 for muzzle. If accuracy suffers, I'll borrow someone's gauge and take a reading to see if that's the culprit, but hopefully it'll be ok (fingers crossed)
rolandson wrote: Yes, yes they do...

On a similar note, I ventured into a Cabelas for the first time in my life today and found a pristine mid 5 million SN Inland M1 Carbine that looked like it had sat out whatever conflict it had been assigned to under a bed or standing against a door. It did not appear to have been fired. At a $2000.00 price tag it can remain so...though I will admit admiring the stock! Whoever had it took very good care of it.

Nice Garand P-dog, you will enjoy it. If it is your first Garand, do yourself a solid by:
A) Acquiring the "America's Rifle" DVD, if for no other reason than the disassembly instructions (CMP has it)
B) Utilize the benefit of our mistakes rather than repeat them...ASK!
C) Get a "Combi tool" or the PS 106 or 107 "cleaning rod" from CMP (the benefit of which is that the handle is actually a rather robust combi tool of its own which will permit you to disassemble the bolt and thus enter the "launch the ejector" contest!)
D) VERY IMPORTANT...Don't fire just any old .30-06...unless you get an adjustable gas plug; you'll want .30-06 charged for a Garand (available at a very good price from CMP)
Thanks for the suggestions. I skimped on the DVD, as I will be using various youtube videos and Garandgear's faq for disassembly. I did get a combo tool though expressly for bolt disassembly. I guess I can participate in ejector launches now heh. The last bit on ammo I did discover through the reading of many forum posts. I placed an order for that CMP surplus Greek ammo, which should be safe. I also hope never to get Garand Thumb!

Who knows, maybe this will actually force me to get into reloading, as that 65 cents per round ain't exactly cheap.

pdoggeth, you probably already hit them up but, https://www.garandgear.com/index.php, I just ordered the gas plug for the M1 so I can fire modern commercially available .30-06.

Catalyst
Last edited by Catalyst on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Catalyst wrote:
pdoggeth wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Sweet!
What did the throat erosion and muzzle measure at?
Hmmm, this I do not know, and I did not order a throat erosion gauge either. I'm going on faith of the CMP's claim of less than 5 for throat erosion and < "3 for muzzle. If accuracy suffers, I'll borrow someone's gauge and take a reading to see if that's the culprit, but hopefully it'll be ok (fingers crossed)
rolandson wrote: Yes, yes they do...

On a similar note, I ventured into a Cabelas for the first time in my life today and found a pristine mid 5 million SN Inland M1 Carbine that looked like it had sat out whatever conflict it had been assigned to under a bed or standing against a door. It did not appear to have been fired. At a $2000.00 price tag it can remain so...though I will admit admiring the stock! Whoever had it took very good care of it.

Nice Garand P-dog, you will enjoy it. If it is your first Garand, do yourself a solid by:
A) Acquiring the "America's Rifle" DVD, if for no other reason than the disassembly instructions (CMP has it)
B) Utilize the benefit of our mistakes rather than repeat them...ASK!
C) Get a "Combi tool" or the PS 106 or 107 "cleaning rod" from CMP (the benefit of which is that the handle is actually a rather robust combi tool of its own which will permit you to disassemble the bolt and thus enter the "launch the ejector" contest!)
D) VERY IMPORTANT...Don't fire just any old .30-06...unless you get an adjustable gas plug; you'll want .30-06 charged for a Garand (available at a very good price from CMP)
Thanks for the suggestions. I skimped on the DVD, as I will be using various youtube videos and Garandgear's faq for disassembly. I did get a combo tool though expressly for bolt disassembly. I guess I can participate in ejector launches now heh. The last bit on ammo I did discover through the reading of many forum posts. I placed an order for that CMP surplus Greek ammo, which should be safe. I also hope never to get Garand Thumb!

Who knows, maybe this will actually force me to get into reloading, as that 65 cents per round ain't exactly cheap.

pdoggeth, you probably already hit them up but, https://www.garandgear.com/index.php, I just ordered the gas plug for the M1 so I can fire modern commercially available .30-06.

Catalyst
Thanks, yep I looked into the gas plug as well, until I realized that the cheapest 30-06 around is still the CMP Greek surplus, though if you know of a different source I'm all ears. I'll probably fire the CMP exclusively until I finally start reloading.