Re: How-To: Garand Thumb on TFB

I used to be all scaredy about this, but then I realized that by using the blade of my hand to keep the bolt from slamming shut after I lock in a clip makes it impossible to get the "thumb". Not only that, but usually the bolt doesn't just release with full force; it usually starts kind of slowly, then picks up steam. Sometimes it even takes a little rap with my palm.
Did I understand that he deliberately gave himself Garand Thumb? Why in the hell would somebody do that?

ps. all you would-be M1 owners, please proceed with your plans to buy one of these fine rifles. Forget all about that Garand thumb thingy. Totally oversold.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:Trust me; it's easy peasy to avoid it. Just use the blade of your hand as you insert the clip and you're good to go.
There you go giving them false hope. Everyone knows that the risk of losing your whole arm is high. Many a poor Garand owner has had their right arm chewed off by the vicious Garand bolt- it's an evil, evil creature that must be approached cautiously. One mistake and BANG. New name is stumpy.
:lol:

Nice to see it in slow mo.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

beaurrr wrote:Trust me; it's easy peasy to avoid it. Just use the blade of your hand as you insert the clip and you're good to go.
I agree it's easy to avoid in a no-stress environment at the shooting range. I could see where it would be a problem reloading from the prone while enemy soldiers are shooting at you.
some days, I just don't English

In looking at mine, I think it's actually pretty unlikely to get it when you are loading, because the cartridge will push your thumb out of the way. It's really easy, though, to think it is locked open when the bolt is really hung up on the follower, so when you touch it, it closes with nothing there to move your thumb. Like the video above.

I can postal match, you can too!

RoastinginAZ wrote:In looking at mine, I think it's actually pretty unlikely to get it when you are loading, because the cartridge will push your thumb out of the way. It's really easy, though, to think it is locked open when the bolt is really hung up on the follower, so when you touch it, it closes with nothing there to move your thumb. Like the video above.
Your right I learned how not to get a. M1 Thumb when closing the bolt back in 1967. Watched a buddy in Jr.ROTC get a M1 thump going to port arms after inspection arms what was worse he let go of the rifle with his left hand and the rifle was left dangling from his thumb.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I still prefer the loading method in the "Book of the M1 Garand."

Place your thumb on the neck of the top-most cartridge, not the sides of the enblock. If you are holding that cartridge in place it is physically impossible for the bolt to come forward. Press down firmly till you hear the clip lock into place and continue applying pressure. Then, in one motion, remove your thumb expeditiously.
"Thought provoking quote."

ZAZ wrote:I still prefer the loading method in the "Book of the M1 Garand."

Place your thumb on the neck of the top-most cartridge, not the sides of the enblock. If you are holding that cartridge in place it is physically impossible for the bolt to come forward. Press down firmly till you hear the clip lock into place and continue applying pressure. Then, in one motion, remove your thumb expeditiously.
That's the technique I use, and I believe the U.S. military taught. I've never had my thumb caught in a normal load of a full clip, and I believe it is nearly impossible using this technique.

I have been caught, or come close, doing less common things, like loading a clip with less than 8 rounds. I believe the military trained soldiers not to do that -- just eject the partially loaded clip using the unload button and then load a full clip.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I shiver every time I see someone load a Garand like that. I know it works, but the idea of slowing the bolt with your palm so it does not have enough momentum to strip the first cartridge, then slapping it forward just goes against every fiber of my being...

Bolts and slides are just supposed to travel into battery in one uninterrupted motion. Just because. The laws of nature and all that is good dictates it or something.
"Thought provoking quote."

ZAZ wrote:I shiver every time I see someone load a Garand like that. I know it works, but the idea of slowing the bolt with your palm so it does not have enough momentum to strip the first cartridge, then slapping it forward just goes against every fiber of my being...

Bolts and slides are just supposed to travel into battery in one uninterrupted motion. Just because. The laws of nature and all that is good dictates it or something.
I see it as using all pressure down with the thumb, with the four fingers just sliding along the stock--no back pressure on the bolt, just hanging out there if you trip it too quickly. Everything should work as designed with full spring action. I figure to get a clip of dummies so I can mess around.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

That's how I do it and I have not had a single problem. Ever. Even inserting the clip without "palming" it still results, depending on the rifle, in the bolt starting slowly, then quickly building speed. Some snap shut at lightning speed, others need a slap.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police