Re: Enfield fun

scubachris wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Are you the one with the still-in-the-mummy-wrap Mark 2? I'd like to see a picture, if you get around to it.

It was when I bought it in '95. I guess I should have kept it in the wrap and bought another one.
No way, man. You can't take it with you when your time is up. Mine is former mummy wrap that looks like it's been shot a handful of times. I love it and I'm grateful I found it and plan to shoot it lots. But I'm also one to treat my possessions very nicely so they'll be as nice as they can be for as long they can be.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:
scubachris wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Are you the one with the still-in-the-mummy-wrap Mark 2? I'd like to see a picture, if you get around to it.

It was when I bought it in '95. I guess I should have kept it in the wrap and bought another one.
No way, man. You can't take it with you when your time is up. Mine is former mummy wrap that looks like it's been shot a handful of times. I love it and I'm grateful I found it and plan to shoot it lots. But I'm also one to treat my possessions very nicely so they'll be as nice as they can be for as long they can be.
I'm the same way. I don't want a gun I cannot shoot. Seems like a waste of good time.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

beaurrr wrote:
culannmac wrote:[ I showed my dad my CMP Garand and his eyes lit up when he picked it up.
Ha! I've observed this phenomenon several times. And some of these people knew next to nothing about firearms. They don't even know what they're looking at but they know it's magic.
My son-in-law, a Marine, bought his dad a CMP Garand, and observed "the phenomenon" when the old man opened the box. He had carried one in his peacetime Army years. I wonder how that war-hardened Marine might react to handling an M4 someday in the distant future? I just want him to survive into the distant future.

My own observations about milsurps: My first centerfire rifle was an 03-A3 Springfield, and I have owned a Canadian Enfield, a postwar FN Mauser, and three different Mosins. I never could get used to the cock-on-closing Enfield. The Mauser was superb (sadly, a friend convinced me to sell it to him). The Springfield was a hurry-up wartime rifle, kinda loose, with a mushy trigger, but it gave me an appreciation of the superiority of the basic Mauser design, even if the bolt is on the wrong side for me (southpaw).

I still have two of the Mosins, a very nice 1932 Tula hex and a super hurry-up 1943 Izhevsk. Weirdly, I love both of them. The stock fits me perfectly, the simple sights are easy for my old eyes to use, and the long sighting plane and muzzle-heavy balance make them naturally easy to shoot well. Since the 1943 was so rough and battered, I cleaned up the metal finish and stripped and refinished the stock. I'm sure the comrades didn't care a fig as long as it went bang in 1943, but it looks and feels a lot better now. The straight bolt handle is relatively easy for a left-hander to manipulate, and they both group very nicely with Sierra .311" or Hornady .312" bullets. Still wish I hadn't sold that 1947 FN Mauser, though.
Religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. – James Madison

lurker wrote:i've got a bunch of unreliable POF pakistani 9mm, and if it's any indication, a couple of rednecks with a pickup truck could beat the pakistani army.
I worked with Pakistani Army personnel in Sudan and I'm not inclined to disagree...

TheViking wrote:Life is too short for unreliable, imprecise, corrosive surplus ammo - better to make a small investment at first and roll your own. After that, adding calibers is cheap, dies go for less than $40 for the set.
What the Viking said -- there is some work involved, but it's rewarding and fun in the long run. Keeps you occupied during the long Northern winter.
Religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. – James Madison

oldcrank22 wrote:
TheViking wrote:Life is too short for unreliable, imprecise, corrosive surplus ammo - better to make a small investment at first and roll your own. After that, adding calibers is cheap, dies go for less than $40 for the set.
What the Viking said -- there is some work involved, but it's rewarding and fun in the long run. Keeps you occupied during the long Northern winter.
For the cost of a couple of spam cans, you can be in business if you look around. May sound like a lot at first but after that, bullets, primers and powder is all you need and they are relatively affordable again. If you don't go super hot on the loads, good brass can be reused over and over, especially out of bolt actions that don't mangle the cases coming out unlike what an auto can do - plus with a bolt, you can get the cases to land in a neat little pile next to you instead of having to search all over the right side of the range :D

Most importantly, you will have ammo that is as precise as that rifle can get, that goes bang immediately every time and that doesn't accelerate rust.

I have Pakistani .303 ammo that has no problem at all. My batch was imported by Navy Arms many years ago. The problem you guys are having is with a batch wholesaled by Samco Global in Miami Fl. All of their stuff is housed in a huge (uninsulated!!!!!) metal building. They might as well keep it in a pizza oven.