Mmmm, Cosmoline...

Finally got my Yugo Mauser in and to my surprise it's arsenal fresh, Cosmoline and all :D Looks like it's pretty much brand new underneath, only a few handling marks on the stock.

Now just to clean it up, there's so much Cosmoline in the bolt, I don't think it would even fire :laugh:

Will get pictures when I'm done!

Re: Mmmm, Cosmoline...

Mmmm. I should have a can of that stuff around to sniff when I'm feeling blue. It's funny how the stuff seems to come out of the pores in the metal even years later though!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Is this an M48? Mine was like new, and it's a great shooter. Got the bayonet, too?

EDIT to add a Red Alert!! If it is an M48, use EXTREME caution if you choose the remove the firing pin. None are available and no firing pins from other Mauser will fit....unless you happen to be a skilled machinist and can make one fit.
Last edited by beaurrr on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:Is this an M48? Mine was like new, and it's a great shooter. Got the bayonet, too?

EDIT to add a Red Alert!! If it is an M48, use EXTREME caution if you choose the remove the firing pin. None are available and no firing pins from other Mauser will fit....unless you happen to be a skilled machinist and can make one fit.
Thanks, I'm on top of it, though :D I've had several K98 based rifles before so I've lost count of how many times I've had those bolts apart.

Lacking the disassembly washer the German rifles have, I use an empty, dented case. The mouth pushes on the shoulder of the firing pin and being brass, it won't scratch the steel :)

TheViking wrote:It was a gift from my awesome Wife, BTW! What she doesn't know yet was that I also picked up a new carry gun for her, a Walther PPK :D
That's what I'd call a win-win-win.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:
TheViking wrote:It was a gift from my awesome Wife, BTW! What she doesn't know yet was that I also picked up a new carry gun for her, a Walther PPK :D
That's what I'd call a win-win-win.
shinzen wrote:So much awesome right there. :clap:
Yep, got pretty lucky with this one :D

Its a barely used S&W production stainless .380. Not quite historically correct but that longer beaver tail should eliminate Walther Bite nicely and it's for everyday carry, so...

My TCP would be perfect for concealment for her but she's not a fan of how damn snappy it is. The PPK weighs twice as much so with the same caliber it'll be a lot nicer to shoot.

I also got some beautiful rosewood grips I'll have to put on before I give it to her. It's such a good looking gun except for those stock, cheap looking plastic grips...

TheViking wrote:Now just to clean it up, there's so much Cosmoline in the bolt, I don't think it would even fire :laugh:
Would you like some more? I have a really strange two neck metal bottle full of the stuff that came with a Mosin from old uncle Joe's time...It's pretty rare, but I think I could let it go for a reasonable price!
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote:
TheViking wrote:Now just to clean it up, there's so much Cosmoline in the bolt, I don't think it would even fire :laugh:
Would you like some more? I have a really strange two neck metal bottle full of the stuff that came with a Mosin from old uncle Joe's time...It's pretty rare, but I think I could let it go for a reasonable price!
Damn you! Now I need a Mosin too...

TheViking wrote:Its a barely used S&W production stainless .380. Not quite historically correct but that longer beaver tail should eliminate Walther Bite nicely and it's for everyday carry, so...

My TCP would be perfect for concealment for her but she's not a fan of how damn snappy it is. The PPK weighs twice as much so with the same caliber it'll be a lot nicer to shoot.

I also got some beautiful rosewood grips I'll have to put on before I give it to her. It's such a good looking gun except for those stock, cheap looking plastic grips...
Do the S&W PPK's have that God awful,heavy trigger like the earlier guns?
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

rltriumph wrote:
TheViking wrote:Its a barely used S&W production stainless .380. Not quite historically correct but that longer beaver tail should eliminate Walther Bite nicely and it's for everyday carry, so...

Do the S&W PPK's have that God awful,heavy trigger like the earlier guns?
DA is pretty damn heavy but clean. SA is good for a carry gun.

Cosmo generally will sweat out over and around the breech after about fifteen rounds, so sweating it out before the BLO is recommended. Since your wife is out of town, you have a little freedom. In my old house we have a floor heater, so I put the stock on that, turning it over every five or ten minutes, wiping it. The dishwasher is a problem, not because of the gunk left behind--which will get you murdered in your sleep by your wife--but because of the water. Heat sweats cosmo out. Be creative.

I prefer BLO cut 50/50 with turpentine or mineral spirits. It takes 1/3 more coats, but it penetrates more deeply. You rub it in with hands so hard that your hand heats up from friction, and you do it until the goop becomes sticky, when you wipe off the excess. Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, then once a year. After three or four years, the BLO begins to darken, so be patient. Pics would rock.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack