M1917 Eddystone range trip

M1917.jpg
I put a cheek pad on it. It helps keep my eye lined up without getting a crick in my neck. What it really needs is a butt pad to soften the steel butt plate.
I see you.jpg
The sighting business is super steam punk. At the 50 yards I was limited to I could just use the peep. I was shocked I did this well considering my less than perfect eyes. I'll need to find a long range to tinker with the plane sights.
sit stand.jpg
The left was 5 shots braced sitting and the right was 5 unbraced standing. I'll need to hit the gym if I want to hold the thing steady on a regular basis. I wondered how those little 105# 5ft 2 doughboys pulled this off.

I only had 150g bullets so that's what I used. I read from various un-named internet experts that the best rounds are anything from 150-220g :roll:

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: M1917 Eddystone range trip

The strap helps if you know how to do it correctly. Something about looping your arm into it and bracing it against your tricep so there is leverage. I think...

But yeah... that's a very fine rifle there. O.O Makes me want to get into long guns again.
Proud member of the SCCY Brigade.

Baekgu wrote:The strap helps if you know how to do it correctly. Something about looping your arm into it and bracing it against your tricep so there is leverage. I think...

But yeah... that's a very fine rifle there. O.O Makes me want to get into long guns again.
With that sling you could do a loop sling or a hasty sling for supporting the rifle.

http://www.gundigest.com/shooting-artic ... loop-sling

http://gunsmagazine.com/slingin/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I shoot rifles hand held the same way as my heavy camera lenses. I have one setup that weighs in at 10 lbs. I use it on the move with sports.

I hold my left arm flat against my body with my elbow digging in my ribs. It looks something like this. It makes a stable base if you hold your feet right.

(Not me)
Brian

Simmer down wrote:This is one of the guns that I want to take to a long range. The 300 yard in San Antonio sounds good.
O.O Are you going to put a scope on it? 300 yards with iron sights would be impressive to say the least.
TrueTexan wrote:
With that sling you could do a loop sling or a hasty sling for supporting the rifle.
That's the one! xD
inomaha wrote:I shoot rifles hand held the same way as my heavy camera lenses. I have one setup that weighs in at 10 lbs. I use it on the move with sports.

I hold my left arm flat against my body with my elbow digging in my ribs. It looks something like this. It makes a stable base if you hold your feet right.
Aye, that's another good method! :thumbup:
Proud member of the SCCY Brigade.

I got this old thing to the Austin shoot yesterday. I couldn't even see holes in the paper with binoculars at 100 yards. We ended up putting orange clay pigeons on the berm. At least the dirt gives some feedback. Clays are about 4.25".

My loads were made for the Garand, following a NRA recipe. All felt consistent.

http://www.odcmp.org/503/rifle.pdf
I found I did best using the leaf sight rather than the battle sight. The hole is a little smaller and seemed to help zero in on the ideal sight picture and allow me to repeat it. Bright morning sun light does way better than the dimly lit in-door range I'm so fond of.

Not a bad rifle once I spent some time at that distance.

I took this rifle to Austin a few weeks ago and got all wound up shooting clays at 100 yards. Today I was at the indoor 50 yard range and did twice as good. :hmmm:

I can keep most in a 5x5ish area. The issue is that gigantic rear peep sight. I had the garand with me and there's the same problem there.

Has anyone found a way to narrow down the point of focus? I found that if I set the front blade at roughly the bottom of the peep it gives me at least some single point to reference but still, no fine tuning.
Peep.jpg
Peep.jpg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
It looks sort of like this.

I thought I could put masking tape over the peer then poke a small hole.

Suggestions?

The Skinner sights that I have on my leverguns have screw in apertures - when you take them out, you end up with a ghost ring size sight.

If that back hole is big enough, you could ream and tap for inserts.

If I were doing it, I'd try it on a replacement sight rather than the original.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref ... FM23-6.PDF
Page 44 of the manual shows the vague sight picture.
Page 48 basically says each shooter/gun combo is different so figure out what your zero looks like. :roll:

I had this at the 100 yard range in Houston today.

150g bullets. Some with 48g of 4064 and some with 48g of 3031.

The 4064 had a little more oomp and I preferred those. This rifle is the same as the buffalo gun as they both have really open sighting set ups and I wouldn't call them tack drivers.

I probably got 12" groups. I'd have to have bionic eyes and a rabbit's foot to do better than 12".

Years ago (hate starting like that), I hunted the MN North Shore for deer with a guy who bought a 1917 when they were available from the neighborhood hardware. Interesting and heavy. He jumped a deer and you could hear him work the bolt for a long way in the woods. Boom-clank-clank-clank-clank-boom. 4 clanks after every shot. He probably should have sighted it in first.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I've been collecting older reloading data and I see some 30-06 loads using 32 cal lead. I slugged this barrel and it's at .311. Those 308s must be careening wildly down the barrel. My next project is to find a slowish smallish lead load for this.

I read on a few forums how rifle cases were loaded with superlight lead and powder for a short range and silent shoot. Gallery load, Cat sneeze, Mouse fart, etc. No data so still looking.

Simmer down wrote:I've been collecting older reloading data and I see some 30-06 loads using 32 cal lead. I slugged this barrel and it's at .311. Those 308s must be careening wildly down the barrel. My next project is to find a slowish smallish lead load for this.

I read on a few forums how rifle cases were loaded with superlight lead and powder for a short range and silent shoot. Gallery load, Cat sneeze, Mouse fart, etc. No data so still looking.
I shoot cast lead in all of my 30cals with the bullets sized to .310, although I haven't tried for the classic cat fart load mine have all been in the 1500 fps range and are great fun too shoot. If you are really serious you could buy a Lee mold either the 150 gr or the 170 gr one that is very similar in design to the Lyman 311041. Lee only makes 309 or 311 push through sizing dies but since you want something very light I would go with the 311 and if the mold doesn't cast them over size just water quench them and let them sit for a couple of weeks, they will expand in size.