Re: Greatest Cartridge of All Time and Why?

For a large round-- 30.06. Because of its history and because my daddy had one.
For a medium round-- 5.56 Because AR's are cool and sexy, and the round is readily available.
For a small round-- 22lr for all the reasons listed in the previous posts.
For a pistol round from a rifle-- .357 mag Pleanty of power in a smaller package, easy to reload.
For sentimental reasons-- 44-40 because that is what the Rifleman carried.

Honorable mention to 17 HMR, 5.7, 7.62x54r, 9mm, .308, 22WMR
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

If a person reloads they're all great. I remember an article many years ago in I think Guns and ammo where the author created a very good rat load for his 375HH using a cast lead round ball with a mild charge of unique, quiet as hell and didn't upset the chickens.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

What a difficult question... Based on innovation, longevity, and popularity, my list of nominees would be:

.22 LR
.38 Special
.45 Colt
.45-70 Government
.30-30 Winchester
7.62x54R
9mm Luger
.45 ACP
.30-06 Springfield
7.62x39
7.62mm NATO/.308 Winchester
5.56mm NATO/.223 Remington

Of these, my vote would go to the 9mm Luger in a handgun round and the .30-06 for a rifle. Of those two, I'd go with the .30-06...it's just so damned versatile.